How's this for service.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
How's this for service.

'ello

I haven't been feeling all that great this past week, and unusual for me, yesterday evening I
was in bed and asleep by 1:am however.....

2:am
Awoke and paid visit to the loo. Heading back to the bedroom I felt a stabbing pain at the
back of my neck, fairly similar to a sharp pointed object stabbing away in quick succession.

Knowing I'd never get back to sleep I went into the computer room instead (where else) booted
up the pc.
I tell myself I've been sleeping awkwardly or I've jerked the neck without realizing.

2:15.
Down to kitchen for a couple of pain killers then back up to the pc.

2:20:
Slight pressure in the middle of the chest. Ah, it's the Angina playing up.
A couple of sprays from the Nitrolingual (angina pain relief) bottle will do the trick.

Done.

Keep myself amused looking through some old folders.
5 minutes pass, no reduction in pressure of my chest.
Another two sprays from the pump.

5 Minutes pass, no reduction in pressure, another two sprays from the pump.
I've arrived at the stage where I need to call NHS24 quickly.

Back up to bedroom and gently wake me better half.

Both very calmly get dressed.

Back down to living room.
Ambulance arrives within10 minutes.

Connected to ECG.

10 - 15 minutes...off to accident and emergency.

Surprisingly, A&C very quiet, peace and quiet reigns.

Usual procedure of tests, followed by that infernal wait we all know about.

It's the following point I'd like to share with you.
The staff on duty were brilliant, bringing toast and coffee for me better half.

Meanwhile I'm dying of thirst but was told by one nurse to shut up and lie quietly (only joking)
but I really was parched, tongue like the proverbial sand paper but "nil by mouth" Grrrrr.

Around 7am night staff leave, practically all of them wishing us a cheery bye bye.
Day staff already at their duty points, but not before offering both of us a cheery good morning
as they pass our open curtained booth.

7:30sh I'm informed I'd had "mild" heart attack but given the all clear to phone taxi and head back home.

30 minutes later sitting on my chair absolutely enjoying a cup of coffee.

I'm genuinely pleased to give a name check to the NHS on this occasion.

So how's that for some excellent care from the NHS.

Oh, and btw, I didn't pop my clogs. :D

Can hardly keep my eyes open. Best I go back to bed but I know come tomorrow I'll re-read this and
spot the errors. you're laughing at. :lol:

willie. :thumbup:

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Quite a normal occurrence in this house, and have to agree, A and E staff can be absolutely brilliant. They need all the support they can get.
Glad you are okish WW.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Glad you're OK Willie. Take care of yourself.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Individual staff can be wonderful!
I had to call paramedics for serious hypo [T1 husband} a weekend ago and they were marvellous too.
Hana

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Glad everything turned out well for you. I have only ever been to a&e on 2 occasions both times admitted and once for a planned operation, i was in over weekends on all 3 occasions. I have had very good care from my hospital every time.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Hello dear folks,

How overwhelmed I am by all your extremely kind words of concern for me.

At the moment I genuinely cannot express the gratitude I feel towards all of you.

So please accept those small two sentences of deep appreciation.

Thank you so much.

willie.

tba_zps2765f6d5.gif
The "S" at the end of "friend" fell into the water.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Willie. I'm so very, very delighted that you are feeling better. Take things easy, relax and look after yourself. Thanks for not "popping your clogs" you would Have been in big trouble around these parts! Be well - you are a good man and deserve it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Aaaw, thank you Thundercat. I'd be lost if I was unable to come back
and be cheered up by everyone's friendly banter and wise comments
in many of the posts. :wave: :wave:

I should have mentioned in my last reply that it was good reading
the other members positive experiences in the hands of the NHS.
The truly dedicated nurses and doctors who serve us surely must,
at the very least, be frustrated at the negative press caused by
some of their lackadaisical managers and colleagues.

Thank you again. x

willie.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Willie

I am SO pleased you are up and running. It must of been a bit scary for you both, but The NHS has come up trumps and it's good to hear of good service and the old bedside manner.

You take care now :thumbup:

With best wishes on your recovery.

RRB :)x

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nice to read a post congratulating the nhs, glad they looked after u and your up and about. :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi WeeWillie .

Just caught up with this and am so glad you are home again and back safetly with us :wave:

Yep the NHS can and does 'do' many a fabulous service .
We are also very lucky and fortunate to have it too :thumbup:
Should appreciate it more - me thinks :think:

Please take things a bit easy and do let us all know how things go too .

Anna .

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and words RRB, brett, anna.

You've all been very kind and caring, I'm impressed and it's given me and me better half a nice healthy boost.

edit...RRB mentioned it must have been scary.
You know I surprised myself, when I had the first HA 2006, I wasn't in the least frightened or scared. I just felt everything was going to be ok and was able to convince me better half of that also. But she was apprehensive, I mean who wouldn't be if your nearest and dearest found themselves in that situation. But I simply had no fear in me.

I've been left with unstable Angina and you can't really tell if it's another Angina attack or a HA coming on. The only way of telling is by using the Nitrolingual spray.
Anyone who's had a HA has been taught how and when to use the spray. Two sprays under the tongue at the outset, wait five minutes. If the pain or pressure does not ease, then it's another two sprays, wait five minutes then another two sprays. If, by the third spray, the situation has not changes, phone 999 immediately, don't call a family member or friend, dial 999 immediately.

After the third spray, I actually was a bit silly, I phoned NHS24 as I was not 100% certain I was indeed having a heart attack.
After I explained the symptoms they organised an ambulance immediately.
But again, I was not concerned or frightened for myself, I was more concerned that I must remain calm for my wife's sake, and it had the desired effect.
Mind you, we both have the same strong beliefs in life, so I reckon that helped immensely. Mind you (2) that belief we have didn't prevent me from making the silly decision to phone NHS rather than 999 immediately.

For the last 30 years or so I've always had a feeling that I would eventually suffer from a heart attack, so when it it came, I wasn't surprised, so that too, must have played a part in the calmness that surrounded me.

Mind you (3) Perhaps I'm just weird.

Ah well, as I said, I didn't pop my clogs.
(this time... Aaaargh) :D

Thank you again, you good three members.
willie.