Hunger after injecting

Andy_L

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed with Type 2 six years ago and been on tablets for it. Recently started on injecting insulin. But finding I get very hungry as a result. Kind of defeats the purpose of reducing blood sugar level if it makes me eat more. Will this pass ? Is it unusual ? Thanks in advance for any info.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Andy_L and welcome to the forums, what are your blood sugars like when you are very hungry?

One of the symptoms of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) is acute hunger, which is why I ask. And people can get false hypos when their blood sugars come down from high levels so this may also be a (passing) issue if your bgs have come down a lot from your pre insulin days.

Having said that, I am not saying that your hunger is caused by this, it is just one possibility.

Andy_L

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi EllieM, thanks for the welcome. My blood sugar levels are still very high. But could be they are coming down so causing hunger. Will give it a few weeks and see.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed with Type 2 six years ago and been on tablets for it. Recently started on injecting insulin. But finding I get very hungry as a result. Kind of defeats the purpose of reducing blood sugar level if it makes me eat more. Will this pass ? Is it unusual ? Thanks in advance for any info.
If you are suffering from stress or anxiety this condition will see rises in blood glucose

Reactions: Andy_L

Rowgirl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was started on Insulin in March this year after being diagnosed with LADA. I went through a phase of extreme hunger, not normal hunger. I still get it but it's now when my blood sugar is dropping after a spike, not necessarily low but may go that way? I try and stick to 3 meals a day, no skipping any, I try not to snack because it spikes my blood sugar. The hunger is much improved.

TheBadOne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you may be using too much insulin, I personally feel extremely hungry if i overdo it with carbs and thus am forced to use more insulin than i probably should. So suggestion is lower carbs a bit and insulin usage, and maybe move a bit more? insulin needs some 'push' from our blood to work better (aka elevate that heartbeat just a bit).

Thebestbaz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi EllieM, thanks for the welcome. My blood sugar levels are still very high. But could be they are coming down so causing hunger. Will give it a few weeks and see.
When you say "My blood sugar levels are still very high. ", what are your readings ? I started Insulin two months ago when my BG readings were high teens. I started in 12 units per day. I have slowly increased to 25 units per day, and now my BG reading before meals is a single figures. Between 5.6 and 9.5 consistently. And yes, i do het hunger pains as my BG levels are much lower.

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to all for your responses. Will give it a few weeks and see.
I am T3c, my meds have little or no effect, unless I fast I am unable to get my BS down. I start the day between 8/10 BS and stay at that level until mid afternoon, as long as I don’t eat anything I can bring the readings down to about 7. I don’t want to end up on insulin it’s to complex for me to manage but I don’t know what else to do. I had almost given up and lost my way a bit but started having really bad headaches and migraines presumably because my levels were to high (15/19)so now I am trying my best to get my levels down but not having much luck. I am already quite thin so do not want to lose any more weight. My ketones jumped up to 4 that was a bit of a fright, a little carb in the diet keeps them down to normal. One meal a day but a bit of snacking in the evening is my downfall, probably because I’m pretty hungry in the evening.

jennyjane

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I dislike cruelty to children and animals and all living creatures. Also, I dislike bullies, extreme modern art and architecture, supermarket and shop music that is unmelodic
Andy, I am type 2 as well and found that I can get hungry 30 mins after eating a meal. I found to overcome this, I just go on my computer and the feelings of hunger go away. I take Meformin. Apparently, this is one of the symptoms with diabetes and not anything to do with your medication. This happens sporadically, ie not every day. Another symptom is a fuzzy brain - this can last just one day and one cannot concentrate properly, even adding simple sums or work simple problems out. I find this only last a day and so the following day I am fine. A few months ago I went into my library for a scrabble session when my hands started shaking very badly - I was surprised as |I had a bowl of cornflakes and a mug of tea for breakfast - the librarian gave me a drink of orange juice which sorted this out. Anyway, I hope you can get over this. Best Wishes Jennyx

Reactions: Davecummins