Hypo’s and type 2

RyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is it a normal occurrence for someone with type 2 to have hypos?

In the last 48 hours (currently using a libre 2 sensor) I’ve had two instances where my blood sugar has dropped to 3.1 and then 3.0 at random times.

I’m not on insulin.

Thanks in advance

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few questions if I may.
Did you check your levels with a finger prick?
Were you asleep lying on your libre when the low appeared? Libres are known to suffer compression lows, that is false lows when the Libre is squashed.
Were you symptomatic?

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and RyJames

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your profile says you are on dapagliflozin, I had to discontinue this as I went low-carb as it was causing hypos for me. Having said that, I'm only on 850mg of Metformin a day, and when I have a fasting day, my BG can drop close to 3mmol/L (verified via glucometer) without me feeling any hypo symptoms at all. I spoke to my GP about this, and they thought that once you go low-carb, your body adapts to lower BG levels, and these become a new normal. I do keep glucose tablets to hand, though, while I'm seeing reds on my CGM and let those around me know to keep an eye on me.

RyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting! Here’s my data from the app.
IMG_6922.jpg
IMG_6923.jpg

RyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A few questions if I may.
Did you check your levels with a finger prick?
Were you asleep lying on your libre when the low appeared? Libres are known to suffer compression lows, that is false lows when the Libre is squashed.
Were you symptomatic?

I was actually sat watching tv strangely.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is me over the last two days. Yesterday was my fasting day, and BG decided to go low towards the evening (yes, chilling in front of the TV as well). My sensor packed up this morning. I'm not sure if it decided that it is defective because reading so low over a longer period of time. But as I said, there were no other symptoms for me, and I would not have known about low BG unless wearing CGM.
Screenshot_20240511_170950.jpg
Screenshot_20240511_171002.jpg

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing I'm tracking is to see if the jump between the old (Libre 2 Plus) and the new sensor (Libre 2) is a dawn phenomenon or just differences in precision. Based on the attached just now, it might be that Libre 2 is overestimating my BG levels, which it has before.
IMG-20240511-WA0028.jpg

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are on BG reducing meds, then maybe the dosage is too high and could be the cause.
It is highly unlikely to be diabetic and have hypos without a cause.
But some can be in the threes and not feel a hypo.
The usual concern is having continuous hypoglycaemic episodes on no meds.
If confirmed with a finger prick test, do speak to your GP about the readings.

Reactions: TheSecretCarbAddict