Hypo at work

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work in a cafe so decided to have a toastie for lunch with coleslaw. I did my insulin 15 minutes beforehand which was 7.6 but I still ended up having a hypo. Any reason why this could have happened? Here’s my readings.

IMG_1675618352.790855.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1675618269.933112.jpg
    IMG_1675618269.933112.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 70
D

Deleted member 567885

Hope you feel better. At least you had plenty of sugar to munch on but I know its horrible to have a hypo at work.
What do you think happened? It could be that your carb: insulin ratio was wrong or that you ate something that delayed the absorption of the toastie e.g. the coleslaw or any cheese perhaps? I hope you are back on the level by now.
I just think that some days the carb insulin ratio thing doesn't work perfectly.

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on the novorapid six units for each meal as prescribed by the doctor. When my blood sugar first started going low I took 2 jelly babies and waited for 15 minutes and it was it the red by that stage and I was starting to feel dizzy so I decided to take a biscuit and this stage I was starting to feel shaky and the staff and manager noticed and said sit down and take a drink. Tested my blood sugar again and it had gone up and was fine for the rest of the day.

When I have a toastie at home I normally find when I check my blood sugar 2 hours later it’s in the green. The only thing I can think of is maybe because I was on my feet all day.

D

Deleted member 567885

I’m on the novorapid six units for each meal as prescribed by the doctor. When my blood sugar first started going low I took 2 jelly babies and waited for 15 minutes and it was it the red by that stage and I was starting to feel dizzy so I decided to take a biscuit and this stage I was starting to feel shaky and the staff and manager noticed and said sit down and take a drink. Tested my blood sugar again and it had gone up and was fine for the rest of the day.

When I have a toastie at home I normally find when I check my blood sugar 2 hours later it’s in the green. The only thing I can think of is maybe because I was on my feet all day.
Yes that'll be it most likely. Moving around makes your muscles more sensitive to the insulin and it gets to work more quickly. Jelly babies are great for a hypo if I can stop myself pigging out on them! Glad you had kind people around you as you dealt with it anyway x

(Edited by mod to comply with forum rules on not giving dosing advice)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I appreciate you felt hypo, but just wondered if your readings are from Libre/Dexcom or a finger prick test, as sensors can read lower than you actually are.
I'd suggest you contact your diabetes team and discuss a basal/bolus regime, so you can carb count and match your insulin to the carbs eaten, rather than having fixed doses before meals. It gives a lot more flexibility and less risk of a hypo.

• Agree
Reactions: hh1 and EllieM

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @diamonddamaris do the scans match the graph? I just replied to a new Libre user who did not know that the scans are 'predictions' based on algorithms, not the actual BG at the time of the scan - when you click the reading, are all the scan dots on the lines?

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @diamonddamaris do the scans match the graph? I just replied to a new Libre user who did not know that the scans are 'predictions' based on algorithms, not the actual BG at the time of the scan - when you click the reading, are all the scan dots on the lines?

IMG_1675622875.777467.jpg

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@diamonddamaris so your bloods were a bit off from the scan results <4 and >10, which apparently is to be expected of the Libre.

As I don't take insulin I am definitely not best placed to say anything other than I'd be checking the graph not the scans, especially for calculating the insulin required. Sorry you went through this horrible experience, and hope your diabetes team can advise you to avoid this happening.

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a hospital appointment at the end of the month. I’ve been trying to have my meals around the same time every day at about 1:30pm but only other reason I can think of is Did I have my lunch too late? I put the lunch readings in the carbs and Cals app and it turns out I had 30g for lunch.