Type 1 HYPO fix.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should not have hypos if you are well controlled therefore I suggest that you get the
nurse to sort out your meds and diet........easy to say! I have been told that glilazide promotes hypos?

Good luck,

John

OP has type 1 diabetes so will be treated with insulin. Gliclazide is not suitable for type 1, so she won't be on that.

It may be slightly black and white or over simplistic to say "you should not have hypos if you are well controlled". Hypos for insulin treated diabetics are pretty much unavoidable. People with type 1 diabetes will have an average of 1-2 hypos per week. This is because balancing insulin dosages to insulin needs is an extremely delicate balance impacted by the food eaten, the time of day (dawn phenomenon) any exercise or activity, the time of the month (for ladies), the temperature, whether you have any illness or any stress, whether you had a good nights sleep, which way the wind is blowing... All that can be made a bit more difficult to balance for a newly diagnose type 1 (like the OP) who may be honeymooning.

Reactions: Scarlett91

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone tell me if Dextro Energy Tablets are suitable to treat hypos?
I'm looking for something that can be used that isn't a food as being a dental nurse I'm not allowed food on me during work hours, I'm having to sneak some Haribo(tiny pack) down my throat in the toilet when I can but I thought chewable tablets would be more discreet and professional.
Thanks in advance..

Scarlett
My nurse told me to use these

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi John I was only diagnosed as type 1 5 weeks ago so still fairly new to it all. I'm due to see the nurse again in November and she did explain I may be in the honey mood period for a while.

Scarlet if you're having hypos that are impacting on your work you should contact your DSN sooner rather than later (November).

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry if this has already been said but what about glucojuice in a little water bottle like Evian? Treats a hypo pretty much perfectly, it's not fizzy and clear so you shouldn't get frowned upon - not that you should anyway! I really think your employer needs to reconsider the way they are treating you. It's like saying to an asthmatic who's having an asthma attack you can't take your inhaler?!!

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if this has already been said but what about glucojuice in a little water bottle like Evian? Treats a hypo pretty much perfectly, it's not fizzy and clear so you shouldn't get frowned upon - not that you should anyway! I really think your employer needs to reconsider the way they are treating you. It's like saying to an asthmatic who's having an asthma attack you can't take your inhaler?!!
Hi lovely I think something similar has been mentioned. I think I will try a few things. And yes work are being rubbish about it. I think they are trying to ignore the fact they now have a diabetic employee and it sucks! Feel pretty ******!

Reactions: mytype1.life