Hypo in dietician office.

diabeticdancer

So I'm due to be put in the pump next week so I was learning more about carb counting etc.

I started to feel very shaky and couldn't take any info in so I told her that I might need to check.it was 2.4. I felt ashamed checking infront of her, she even offered to help me check it and to find the lucazade in my bag.

I feel like I acted strange and hope she doesn't think I'm weird.

Anyone else feel like this? I suppose there could be worse places for a hypo to happen...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why do you feel ashamed? shes a medical professional who should be very understanding. How long have you been diabetic and how long were you feeling shaky before you tested?

Reactions: 3 people

diabeticdancer

I don't know why I feel ashamed. She was really nice and helpful. I suppose it's cos I couldn't really take in anything she was saying. I felt shaky for around 5 minutes until I checked. I was diagnosed type 1 a couple of weeks ago so it's still very new.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You definitely didn't act weird and should not feel ashamed. You did the absolute right thing by telling her and stopping the conversation to deal with the hypo.

It can be embarrassing when this happens but with a health care professional that's the safest and friendliest kind of stranger it can happen with.

Saying what is happening to you and asking for help, and accepting help, can be difficult. But it's very important. So you did really well.

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I often find after a hypo I can have a big emotional reaction. I think it's just the effect of all the powerful hormones that a hypo mobilises, in many cases.

Having said that, this is all new to you and yes, it is upsetting. It still upsets me to have a hypo after 20 years, particularly if there are other people around and it has affected them or been conspicuous. :-(

It's very early days for you and you will definitely adapt and learn to cope with all these types of situation.

Big hugs!

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's an odd symptom of diabetes, this, and it's quite well documented, and my OH will agree! - For example, I will deny that I'm hypo until I'm blue in the face, and he or my son or daughter has to stand over me until I've eaten those Glucotabs!!

You didn't act strange!

;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nothing to be ashamed about and there's certainly worse places to hypo,at least you knew something was wrong and had the good sense to mention it and treat the hypo.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My personal view is hypoglycaemia is more like a side effect to the type of treatment used to manage diabetes..
It's a balancing act regarding blood sugar control, which essentially what diabetes management is all about & sometimes the weight shifts too far the wrong way.
I tend to treat the hypo first when the signs show, making sure I'm taking food or drink. Then test on the way back up..
You can feel in control, so long as you have glucos tabs or a Lucozade on hand.

There is no shame at all in this. The fact is you were at a dietician..

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Don't feel ashamed, hopefully this story will put a smile on your face. I've now been married for 16years, but when new hubby and myself went to Scotland for a short break, we went to Edinburgh for a trip, and I came out the station and asked a police officer, if I could have a dance with him. Hubby knew I wasn't right and the police officer was looking at me very strangely, hubby just went she's diabetic and the officer was like ok, to my husband. Hubby got me to take some lucozade and I was fine. So you didn't act strange. I sure as hell acted stranger than you, on that day. :)

Reactions: 9 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The real "shame" would be allowing this diabetes malarkey & indeed a "hypophobia" hold you back.... ;)

Reactions: 6 people

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Hi diabeticdancer,

I can't say I know what you were eating in the hours before your appointment with the dietician.

But I believe I know what you WEREN'T eating: you hadn't eaten any rye bread.

I judge this from your description of the hypo: it sound like it was a rapid descent.

The reading of 2.4 is very low. But I can normally tolerate that level without severe symptoms. So I'm readily able to take rapid yet relaxed action.

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I often find after a hypo I can have a big emotional reaction. I think it's just the effect of all the powerful hormones that a hypo mobilises, in many cases.

Having said that, this is all new to you and yes, it is upsetting. It still upsets me to have a hypo after 20 years, particularly if there are other people around and it has affected them or been conspicuous. :-(

It's very early days for you and you will definitely adapt and learn to cope with all these types of situation.

Big hugs!

Good post Spiker. Love your avatar btw, looks like you are having a really bad hair day though! :D

I am T2 but do understand hypos. Diabeticdancer, you may have a lot of times when you feel like a fool but just because you feel like that doesn't make you a fool. You have obviously taken your new condition seriously or you wouldn't be here and I know that you are doing all you can to understand what's going on and let's face it, there is no better place to be to do that than on here. EVERYONE understand you on here :happy: I am sure your DN has come across it many times before, your condition is nothing to be ashamed of and thank goodness you have been diagnosed, just imagine the alternative!

Take care and chin up :)

diabeticdancer

Thank you everyone. Reading your posts has really cheered me up. They told me to lower my dose again so I'm on 1breakfast, 2lunch, 2 dinner and 14 lantus. Think it needs to come down again though as had another hypo.

I'm really grateful for this forum and the people in it. :)

diabeticdancer

Don't feel ashamed, hopefully this story will put a smile on your face. I've now been married for 16years, but when new hubby and myself went to Scotland for a short break, we went to Edinburgh for a trip, and I came out the station and asked a police officer, if I could have a dance with him. Hubby knew I wasn't right and the police officer was looking at me very strangely, hubby just went she's diabetic and the officer was like ok, to my husband. Hubby got me to take some lucozade and I was fine. So you didn't act strange. I sure as hell acted stranger than you, on that day. :)
He should've danced with you :) :) lucazade saves the day x

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hope it made you feel happier, he should of, but he wouldn't or couldn't

Reactions: 2 people

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At least you didn't try to strip off in a coffee shop full of people.....:shy:

(okay, okay, it was a long time ago, but still...)

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lol Lucie75, that made hubby laugh.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Diabeticdancer,

If it's any consolation to you I woke from a hypo one night (about 15 years ago?) & asked my girlfriend "where can I get a pogo stick"?
I'd had this dream about bouncing on stage... What you see in my avatars right hand is the embodiment of that hypo.. I converted the pogo into a mike stand..

Reactions: 2 people

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
The amount of times I've been talking to a girl and realized I'm having a hypo and then have to excuse myself, jet out of there or play through it is TOO GODDAMN HIGH!