Hypo or not hypo

barb1

I had been having hypos nearly daily for a couple of weeks. I have adjusted my carbs and it's improved but generally at the lower end of the 4's. Twice I went down to 2.6 and 2.7 and was aware of the hypo and took appropriate action e.g. Glucose tabs. However I had what was exactly the same symptoms at 4.4, which I thought was supposed to be normal. Also I've been at 3.7 and felt completely normal. I don't take medication as I've had gastric bypass which had sorted out the diabetes until a couple of weeks ago when I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia.
Can anyone tell me if you can get hypos in the 4 range?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm no expert as I'm just controlling my diabetes efficiently, but when I get in the lower 4's I feel just as bad as if I'm in the 2's, and despite what people say I treat it because I can't carry on with my day knowing they'll just keep dropping unless I snack/treat it. Sorry it's not much help, but I wouldn't worry about feeling hypo when your bloods are 4, completely normal with me :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're in the 4s you're not technically hypo @barb1

However, as a Type 1 on insulin, I find I can feel like I'm hypo at higher numbers if my blood sugar is dropping fast (because there's a slight delay between your 'real' BS and what shows on the meter.

Also, if you've been used to higher BS, a normal BS can feel hypo even though it's not.

As you've had a gastric bypass and have been diagnosed with RH, I think it's worth mentioning to your doctor.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had been having hypos nearly daily for a couple of weeks. I have adjusted my carbs and it's improved but generally at the lower end of the 4's. Twice I went down to 2.6 and 2.7 and was aware of the hypo and took appropriate action e.g. Glucose tabs. However I had what was exactly the same symptoms at 4.4, which I thought was supposed to be normal. Also I've been at 3.7 and felt completely normal. I don't take medication as I've had gastric bypass which had sorted out the diabetes until a couple of weeks ago when I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycaemia.
Can anyone tell me if you can get hypos in the 4 range?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Hi, I have RH!
Firstly, welcome to our forum.
If you click on forums at the top of the page and scroll down to the Reactive Hypoglycaemia forum, click on there and there is a lot of information and knowledge there to read. Please do.

Ok, from the surgery you have had it alters how you digest food.
This can give you the RH condition or similar symptoms.
You have described almost perfectly what happens when advised by medical practitioners about hypos.
You have to treat them but how do you keep control if you are continually going up and down?
The secret is not to go up!
The only way you can do this is what you eat or drink.

Dump the glucose tablets, they will put you in double figures!
If you are having a hypo, I would eat something like a plain biscuit and a cup of tea, no sugar, cream but not milk, that will raise your blood glucose levels up slowly, then test after fifteen minutes. Then eat something low carb. Then test again about half an hour later. To see how you are doing. Do not eat or drink sugary stuff. It will make things worse.

What causes the rise in your blood glucose levels is foods that are carbs and sugar.
If you eat something like porridge for your breakfast because it is 'healthy'. Then because of the surgery, the amount of carbs in the porridge will rocket up, the extra insulin you create will then send you hypo. Porridge is not healthy for us!

So we have to find out which foods our bodies can tolerate and not spike our glucose levels up too high. If we don't go high (hyper). We don't go low (hypo).

Our aim is not to create the excess insulin in the first place. By doing that our blood glucose levels will remain in or near normal blood glucose levels. That is where our bodies like to be.

I have to eat very low carb (20g per day) because my tolerance levels are really poor, I can't eat potatoes, any grain based foods, rice or anything with sugar in it.
It is really difficult to start doing very low carb, but the benefits of it are really good.
I had my last hypo, when I had my last eOGTT a couple of years ago. I had my last hyper about six months ago.

I have just had my annual review and my results are really brilliant..

Please read the low carb forum as well for alternative to carbs.
Please ask questions, let us know how you are doing.

I would also ask your GP to get a referral to your surgery team or an endocrinologist who knows about RH. But don't think they will give you the same advice, as most of them still believe that we need carbs, we are different, we don't!

Again best wishes and welcome to our forum.

Reactions: Bluetit1802