Hypo symptoms and levels ?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
My BGs were around 11ish when I was first diagnosed early in August and they've gradually come down to around 6-7 in the morning and down further to 5.7 at the lowerst during the afternoon.

However, I've noticed that when my BG shows the lower figures of 5-6 that I tend to be a bit shaky, my mouth and tongue feel tingly, I feel a bit panicky and my mind feels blurry. Is it normal to feel like this at those levels or is my body just having a struggle getting used to lower levels of BG?

:?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey GraceK!

That's perfectly normal. It is called a 'false hypo'. Basically, your body has been used to much higher levels and is objecting to you bringing them back towards the normal range. Bear with it, it will soon pass. :)

Smidge

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
smidge said:
Hey GraceK!

That's perfectly normal. It is called a 'false hypo'. Basically, your body has been used to much higher levels and is objecting to you bringing them back towards the normal range. Bear with it, it will soon pass. :)

Smidge

Oh Wow! A false hypo - that's a new one on me. I was really worried and not sure if I should eat something to bring my levels up or not. I'll bear with it now that I know what it is. Thanks for that Smidge, much appreciated. :wave:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi GraceK

No, don't eat anything if you can help it! The aim is to get your body used to normal BGs. If you eat sugar/carb to correct a false hypo, you'll send your BG higher and your body won't get used to the healthier levels. It's a bit of a pain, but it won't last long. I think you're only on Metformin for your diabetes aren't you? If so, you are very unlikely to have a serious hypo - it's only really those of us on insulin or insulin-stimulating drugs (like Gliclazide) that have that worry. Metformin helps you use your insulin more effectively, but it only really helps you to control the post-meal spikes.

Smidge

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
smidge said:
Hi GraceK

No, don't eat anything if you can help it! The aim is to get your body used to normal BGs. If you eat sugar/carb to correct a false hypo, you'll send your BG higher and your body won't get used to the healthier levels. It's a bit of a pain, but it won't last long. I think you're only on Metformin for your diabetes aren't you? If so, you are very unlikely to have a serious hypo - it's only really those of us on insulin or insulin-stimulating drugs (like Gliclazide) that have that worry. Metformin helps you use your insulin more effectively, but it only really helps you to control the post-meal spikes.

Smidge

Oooh thanks Smidge ... you're a Godsend. I've been scared when I get that feeling in case I have a hypo. Yes I'm just on Metformin and diet and my own supplements for the moment and I'm doing well so far thanks to help from the forum members. :D

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Grazer said:
Smidge is spot on with her replies.you have nothing to worry about, just stick with it.

Awwww thanks for the encouragement Grazer, it's much appreciated. I feel more confident now about what I'm doing. :)

susy23

Hi, ive been getting these 'false' hypo symptoms aswell. Was diagnosed type 2 diabetic 12months ago & am on 500mg metformin twice a day. I dont normally do readings as lost 20 kilos in weight which has really helped & GP feels im now well enough controlled although been feeling my sugar levels dropping recently & im displaying some hypo symptoms even though im eating 3meals & at least one snack a day. I have bought my own strips & checked my sugar levels today and they were 5.0 which is lowest ever. Was wondering if my GP should now be considering cutting back my metformin? These false hypos interfering with my life & as im a single parent am not too keen on driving very far at the moment until my body adjusts. Can anyone please advise?

Grazer

susy23 said:
Hi, ive been getting these 'false' hypo symptoms aswell. Was diagnosed type 2 diabetic 12months ago & am on 500mg metformin twice a day. I dont normally do readings as lost 20 kilos in weight which has really helped & GP feels im now well enough controlled although been feeling my sugar levels dropping recently & im displaying some hypo symptoms even though im eating 3meals & at least one snack a day. I have bought my own strips & checked my sugar levels today and they were 5.0 which is lowest ever. Was wondering if my GP should now be considering cutting back my metformin? These false hypos interfering with my life & as im a single parent am not too keen on driving very far at the moment until my body adjusts. Can anyone please advise?

My advice woulod be to stick with the metformin. They don't do much to lower your BGs anyway, it's your diet doing that, but the metformin does give excellent protectionh against future cardiovascular disease, and reportedly other illnesses. The metformin lowers your peak BGs by a MAXIMUM of 1 or 2 mmols if you are on the MAXIMUM dose, wnich you're not. So don't give them up, just wait for your body to get used to the excellent new figures you are experiencing.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Agree with Smidge and the others you have nothing to worry about Grace keep it up you're doing brilliantly :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

On the wider issue of hypo's and Metformin then there is a marginal increase in risk from something like a one in a thousand chance of anyone diabetic or not on no meds having a hypo which raises to a three in a thousand chance. "Hypo" here means feeling funny, dizzy, sick etc. It still doesn't mean the same as an full on insulin induced hypo that can put you in a diabetic coma or kill you. Unless you are taking insulin or in certain cases meds that stimulate insulin production (Metformin doesn't) then your body has a natural "liver dump" response that will kick in to raise your levels back up if they go too low. You may feel really bad before this process kicks in or you may not even notice its happened as it depends on the person and the situation.

In terms of levels you may have heard that going under 4 is dangerous. That 4 value is set as an indicator for insulin using diabetics to BEGIN to take some kind of action (eat a jelly baby etc.) to ensure their levels don't go too low and risk a hypo. The actual "too low" figure i.e the figure you start to risk going unconscious is specified by the ADA to be under 2.7.

For diet only and diet only + Met users your actual risk is really no different from the general non diabetic population which is why the DVLA don't require you to register your condition. The average fasting level within the population is around 4.2. As it's an average that implies many people have fasting levels in the 3's. There are some members of the forum who report their fasting levels are in the 3's and like those with similar fasting levels in the general population they obviously aren't all falling in and out of diabetic comas.

The thing to remember is diabetes doesn't cause hypos its the strong meds or insulin that can.

susy23

Hi, thanks very much for advice. Will stick with it & hopefully body will adjust to new levels soon. Can i just ask without causing any alarm, nobody mentions the side effects metformin can have as i was led to believe it isn't that good for your liver or kidneys being on this drug long term.? I take it that isnt the case??

Grazer

susy23 said:
Hi, thanks very much for advice. Will stick with it & hopefully body will adjust to new levels soon. Can i just ask without causing any alarm, nobody mentions the side effects metformin can have as i was led to believe it isn't that good for your liver or kidneys being on this drug long term.? I take it that isnt the case??
Never heard of that at all. Metformin is known as an extremely safe drug.

susy23

Thanks for that reassurance. You hear so many different things from people who think they know what they're talking about. This forum is really good for answering queries as information coming from those living with & having experience of all aspects of diabetes rather than those who think they know better.....

Defren

susy23 said:
Thanks for that reassurance. You hear so many different things from people who think they know what they're talking about. This forum is really good for answering queries as information coming from those living with & having experience of all aspects of diabetes rather than those who think they know better.....

Hello Susy, I fully agree with Grazer. Metformin is known as a safe drug, I have never heard of any of the complications you mention. It is known to cause a 'dicky tummy' sometimes, but I have never heard of it being dangerous.