Hypo??

Sindri

Type 2 diagnosed in August 2011 and controlled by diet. I normally have a blood sugar of between 5.5 and 6.5 when tested, not tested often of course due to expense and not being on medication i'm not allowed the strips on prescription.

Anyhoo; I got married two days ago and in the car on the way to the reception I drank 2 glasses of Cava Champagne, felt tipsy and stopped at that. Had a fabulous wedding lunch about an hour later and indulged in one of our fabulous chocolate cupcakes as the pudding. About 20 mins later we were all in the taxi coming home from the reception and I started feeling a bit nauseous, light headed and woozy after that I don't remember about 10 mins. I came too in the taxi on the way to hospital, I was confused and didn't know what was happening. My new husband said I had been unresponsive, that my eyes were open and I was repeating the same words over and over but not responding to anything.

The hospital gave me a small cup of lucozade and took my blood sugar which was 4, my blood pressure was 98/65 and I had a small blip on my ECG. Over the next four hours my blood sugar came up to 5.3 and blood pressure came up to around 102/69. I had a muller light yogurt (small one) and about an hour later my sugars were 6.5(ish) and blood pressure was up to 135/just over 80 and no blip on my ECG. After 9 hours at the hospital the doctor said they didn't know what caused the episode and to go home.

Was this a hypo?? If it was would it have been the champagne?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sounds more like you feinted to me Sindri, all the excitement of the wedding etc. as a T2 diet only if your bg were to drop low enough for you to lapse into unconsciousness your liver would have dumped its glycgen stores way before that happened. Certainly at 4.0 mmol/L you were a long way from being in a diabetic coma :D

Congratulations on your wedding by the way :thumbup:

Sindri

Thanks Sid, I'm not a fainting type person and never had an episode like this. I wasn't that stressed or feeling overly excited, happy definately but not overly so. We were on our way back after all the excitement and I was looking forward to getting home and looking through people's cameras and getting ready to go on honeymoon.

My hubby says I wasn't unconscious just unresponsive and I just wondered if this was a mild hypo especially with the testing saying my level was 4 after having had a large meal with very rich choccie cake. I had no alchohol after the champagne just cranberry juice (as my daughter didn't like it) and then water.

The only times I have fainted previously have been when I've had blood taken and I do go go unconscious and wake to full alertness, this time I was confused and disorientated. Ahh well I'll put it down to stupidity and female vapours :D