I’m confused

anna_fran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

I’ve recently come down with a virulent case of gastroenteritis. Having not eaten for over 36 hours I expected my fasting blood sugar to be low, but it came out as 9.5. My usual readings are between 5 and 6 and this is entirely regulated by diet. Can anyone tell me why this should happen, I don’t understand how it could have leapt so high. Any answers greatfully received.

Anna

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hi Anna
When you are ill your liver will release some of its stored glucose to help you fight off the infection.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Infections, tummy bugs, viruses and things like pain and inflammation, may all send blood glucose high.

A couple of Xmases ago I went to a party and came home with food poisoning. Fun fun fun.
The fascinating thing was tracking my blood glucose, it was up and down like a... um... trying to think of a delicate description, and I can't. Suffice it to say that my blood glucose went more than twice as high as usual, then dropped like a stone, then up, then down, for about 18 hours. Not in time with the bathroom visits, but still as regular as clockwork.

In fact, it was the blood glucose settling down that told me I was getting better. The other symptoms improved later.

Hope that helps.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. The best explanation is your tummy upset. Any illness, virus, injury, pain can increase levels whilst your body is fighting it off. Try not to worry, and hopefully it will come down and return to normal.

anna_fran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for that Brunneria, I didn’t realise this. I’ll keep measuring to check that it falls back, eventually. Mind you I don’t think. That the dioralite, as prescribed by my doctor is helping either.
Anna

Hi Anna
When you are ill your liver will release some of its stored glucose to help you fight off the infection.

Thank you, at least it means it should be tem
Infections, tummy bugs, viruses and things like pain and inflammation, may all send blood glucose high.

A couple of Xmases ago I went to a party and came home with food poisoning. Fun fun fun.
The fascinating thing was tracking my blood glucose, it was up and down like a... um... trying to think of a delicate description, and I can't. Suffice it to say that my blood glucose went more than twice as high as usual, then dropped like a stone, then up, then down, for about 18 hours. Not in time with the bathroom visits, but still as regular as clockwork.

In fact, it was the blood glucose settling down that told me I was getting better. The other symptoms improved later.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: catinahat