I’m convinced insulin does not work for me !

Chrissy8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I’m relatively new to insulin, a few months but I really can’t see any effects on my blood sugar. I’ve titration up to 86 units of toujeo now and I’ve also been given a rapid which I’ve barely used but when I have tried 1 unit to 10 carbs did nothing, 2 nothing, I did 5 , then 10, and then just haven’t bothered again PLUS I’m never eating more than 20 carbs at a time and mostly less because I’ve gone keto. So…I’ve now got a cgm….it shows me that if I eat more than 10g carbs my sugars will go from 6 to 11/12 and stay there for hours . What on EARTH. My nurse says some people need more insulin. I’ve decided to stay keto because I just had an abscess and sepsis and still recovering. Going for a walk for half an hour will drop my sugars from 11 to 8. I’m extremely weight loss resistant….even when extremely poorly, even when I don’t/can’t eat. I’m at a loss…the insulin seems like water. It’s stored right, injected right.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your nurse may well be correct, and it may just be that you haven't found the right dose yet.
So…I’ve now got a cgm….it shows me that if I eat more than 10g carbs my sugars will go from 6 to 11/12 and stay there for hours .
This tells you someting about the mealtime dose you need. If you usually see numbers around 6 when not eating, your basal seems to be doing its job quite well. That's a very good starting point to work out how much bolus you need for food. :)

For what it's worth, my doses are higher than yours, and sometimes I need more than 1 unit of insulin per gram of carbs, especially in the morning. In the evening I need much less.
I eat low carb as well, and my first meal is usually between 3 and 7 grams of carbs, for which I do need insulin.

Reactions: EllieM