Type 2 I’ve got a cold - any insulin advice please

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi this is my first dalliance with a cold whilst taking insulin. I have recently started decreasing my carbs, I’m currently having below 75 and as a result my insulin has halved.

I’m on humalin m3 I take 30 am 20 lunch time and 30 pm I’m also on 2000 glucophage, 320 gliclazide, 900 gabapentin ramipril simvastatin flourexatine levothyroxine aspirin

Whilst I know everyone is different , can anyone advise me about what to expect with my first cold ? Thank you kim

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
General advices for how 'normal people' get better through a cold are still relevant.
Aka, rest as much as you can, drink plenty of liquid, stay warm and comfy, etc etc... ;o)
More on top as diabetic:
Test your bg level more frequently so you can counter bg changes faster as/if needed.
If you have fever or general fatigue, be extra alert, as stress hormones and temperature counter the efficiency of your insulin.
I tend to stay on the same basal as any other normal day (as injecting it just 1-2 times per day) while then adjusting the bg as needed with fast acting to keep it within appropriate range. As you correctly write, we are all different so sure others also will have some good advices to add for you. In any case:
Best wishes for your fast recovery !

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi this is my first dalliance with a cold whilst taking insulin. I have recently started decreasing my carbs, I’m currently having below 75 and as a result my insulin has halved.

I’m on humalin m3 I take 30 am 20 lunch time and 30 pm I’m also on 2000 glucophage, 320 gliclazide, 900 gabapentin ramipril simvastatin flourexatine levothyroxine aspirin

Whilst I know everyone is different , can anyone advise me about what to expect with my first cold ? Thank you kim

Morning Goacher. Colds are rotten. It looks like you are taking a mixed insulin?

I'm not an insulin user myself, but this, from Leicestershire Diabetes goes through T2 using insulin. http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type2_SickDay_LDC_JAN2015.pdf

I'll tag @urbanracer , whom I recall uses a mixed insulin, and @ickihun and @Cumberland whom I recall used to use mixed insulin, but could probably still be able to comment on your plight.

If your numbers are running very high, never be concerned about calling 111 for advice.

I hope you feel better soon.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If you currently have good control on your mixed insulin units then expect the same as a none diabetic. Temperature will affect your bgs.
For me a temperature reduces my amount of insulin I need so a hypo can be common (dn believes its because I'd eat less, nope.)
Many will advise none diabetics to feed a cold and starve a flu.
By the way, have you had your flu jab yet?

The problem I get is once I've reduced my insulin for hypos in such circumstances then when I'm well I need to increase my insulin again. (Some would argue feeding insulin resistance).

Avoiding type2's hypos are a skill many cannot perfect. They are so inconsistant on the speed they hit. As a type2 I find they come on a lot slower than those for type1s. Giving me a chance to head it off with protein sometimes rather than having to treat a full blown hypo.
I was considering for my next mild cold managing my hypos rather than reducing my insulin.
It does depend on how severe the hypo comes on and how big my insulin adjustments are.
If your reducing by more than 2units at a time in your current insulin regime then a reduction would be wiser. For sure!
E.g
28units instead of 30 with breakfast if you hypoed for a few days on 30units.
I wouldnt advise any more a reduction in such suffering a tempature with a cold.
A cold is very quickly normally absorbed by a good immune system in a type2 diabetic.
An uncontrolled type 2 diabetic would have irratic higher bgs due to a temperature and food will feed higher bgs. Adrenal too and cortisol. A high bg frenzy til insulin is increased to get a good grip on its frenzy.
No food for a few days would eventually reduce high bgs in an uncontrolled type2 but once eating the frenzy would start.
These all incidences above are for a type2 on mixed insulin as insulin is still in the system. Basal but bolus wares off far far quicker.
Never stop your insulin treatment and test test test throughout!

Your basal is overlaping on taking it 3 times a day. This is so your not injecting heavy bolus doses at one time. They're spread out to cover food.
If illness was not a few days of cold but more then your regime would need a overhaul. Your team would have to decide that.
Self management on reducing insulin for insulin resistant patients is an expensive task the nhs would welcome. Most teams cannot supervise every minute change to reduce insulin resistance. The nhs would definitely go broke if all insulin dependant type2s needed daily supervision to reduce their insulin on better type2 management.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goacher55

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Goacher55 ,

You may find appetite supressed by the symptoms of a cold? The cold symptoms (feeling grotty.) may also "mask" any low blood sugar feelings (if they occur?) slowing hypo treatment reaction time too...
The advice to test regularly can't be stressed enough.
(This is based on my early memories as a child on fixed dose insulin as a young T1.)
Get well soon!