I give up :(

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For 12 years I was on Humalog during the day and Lantus at night. Last year had an incident with Lantus, thought I OD on it. Then I became paranoid about it and it was causing me to have anxiety attacks. So in August my diabetes nurse switch me to mixed insulin which is Humulin M3. Only need to inject two times a day, brilliant I thought! But it's too rigid for me and I can't do corrections. My BG's are always double figures, when I was on my Humalog BG's were fine. I think maybe I should go back and say I wanna go back to the two..but I really don't want to.

This is really getting me down. I don't want to end up having complications because of these changes.

iHs

Try Humalog Mix and eat to the action on yr bg levels.......small breakfast, mid morning snack, small lunch and so on. Once youve got yr carb amounts correct, yr bg levels will take the same pattern every day unless the westher temp changes or you become ill.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
... could a pump be an option for you...? Depending on what the incident was - because I know the pump is harder work than MDI's... but it's also much smaller doses - which may help relive your anxiety? Perhaps an option to think about / discuss with your DSN...

Reactions: 4 people

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't do carb counting. My BG's were fine way before DAFNE and that and I really don't wanna go back to square one and have numbers racing around in my head. I eat at different times, I work shifts and I don't want to eat the same sort of things every day.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Have u heard of the Timesulin lids? They keep a timer of the last time u took the lid of, so u won't double dose :)

Reactions: 2 people

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Have u heard of the Timesulin lids? They keep a timer of the last time u took the lid of, so u won't double dose :)

Wow, no I haven't! It's amazing how I come oh here and discover new things. Surprised my nurse didn't recommend this to me, would of saved all those nights I stayed awake worrying!

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi Lucy, any reason why you don'
t at least try to carb count?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
http://timesulin.com

I don't think they're on the nhs but sounds like it would be a good investment for u. Think they're like £20. If u went back on humalog / Lantas just ask ur nurse which brand fits ur pen :)

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi Lucy, any reason why you don'
t at least try to carb count?

Well I do shift work at the mo, it just sounds like more hard work. I've been diabetic for 14 years and 11 of those years I've had very good control. I just don't want to start something, get bad BG's and be back to square one. Also I don't have tight control over what I eat, due to my work and lifestyle I just eat whatever I have time for!

moz1

Once you start carb counting and get some confidence doing it you can literally look at a plate of food and total up the carbs. A friend of mine works as a server in a busy restaurant and went on to a pump as it was so inconvenient going to fetch her insulin/meter every time she needed to check/inject

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
Carb counting actually made my control better I don't eat the same thing day in day out, I work shifts and have absolutely no routine at all but what a difference the pump has made to my life and control :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm afraid either way you have insulin you do need to carb-count. With mixed insulin it means having fixed, but measured amounts during the day. With Basal/Bolus it means having variable amounts of carbs but still measured. It's your choice. Mixed reduces the number of injections but provides less control and flexibility. Basal/Bolus provides the best control/flexibility but more injections. I keep my injections with Basal/Bolus down most days by not splitting my Basal and not having a breakfast Bolus as I have few carbs for breakfast. This means 3 injections each day and sometimes 4. Yes, a pump might be best if you are able to get one.

Reactions: 2 people