lyndarose

Day one on my new way of eating.
Took a long walk, did some treadmill walking as well. used jawbone UP2
App says Burn 3136
calories eaten today 804
Carbs 25g
Protein 68 g
Fat 27 gr

Will perhaps eat a couple of slices of meat later.
Only side effect have been the evening I have a headache.

Have I done this right???

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi lyndarose
a warm welcome from me :)

the numbers look slightly high in protein and low in fat but FANTASTIC to you for adopting the LCHF diet
it will pay you back sticking to it

and yes to the meat later -- all good !!
headaches can be a part of the adjustment off carbs so stick with it

lots of great people on this forum so please do keep posting

all the best

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome - when you go onto a low carb diet you may have some withdrawal symptoms for a short while your body get used to your new way of eating. Bear with it, make sure you drink plenty of fluids, and use extra salt on your food as your kidneys will be excreting more. You may also need extra potassium and magnesium too. Maybe also do a Google search for Atkins/ low carb/keto flu for more information.

Good luck!

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Day one on my new way of eating.
Took a long walk, did some treadmill walking as well. used jawbone UP2
App says Burn 3136
calories eaten today 804
Carbs 25g
Protein 68 g
Fat 27 gr

Will perhaps eat a couple of slices of meat later.
Only side effect have been the evening I have a headache.

Have I done this right???

Carbs + proteins =68+25= 93x4=372 cals Fats 27x9=243 cals

243 +372=615 calories for the day according to your given data. Thats very vey low.

To get to 800 cals you could add an extra 20-21 grams of fat.

ie 800-615=185/9=20.55grams fat.

All the best with your efforts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Some but not all, T2,s are chubby.

Obviously your are not following a LCHF diet according to the macronutrient distribution you gave above.Thats simply the low fat way of eating you are following.

By eating a LCHF diet lipid values are improved ie triglycerides are reduced and HDL values are increased. The proviso is low carbs.

I see that you say in your signature "No, absolutely no, I don't want a free meter". Interesting !

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @lyndarose welcome to the forum

looks like you doing well, yes headaches are part of it and you soon get used to it, drink plenty of water

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would you increase fat. Many T2 are chubby anyways ( so am I ) with higher bad cholesterol levels.

I would say that my diet is roughly

Carbs 25 % or less
Protein 65 % or more
Fat 10 % or less

Usually I have carrots, peas, potato salad (vinegar and traces of olive oil), beetroot salad, tomato salad with my meat (proteins).
You don't mean you believe fat makes you fat? And that dietary fat gives you high cholesterol? In my experience it is quite the opposite way around. Since upping my fat intake to 80E% my cholesterol is perfect and weight fine.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a CONTOUR®NEXT USB and I'm very happy with, it's a free gift from Bayer. I have a second meter for emergency, if my other would not work or I would forget it somewhere. I was terribly annoyed by constant free meter offers from this site and there is no way to opt out from this mails. I did try to get staff responding to PM, quite unsuccessful. So I thought to show it clear in my signature.

By the way, thank you for your comments. Could you please be a little more detailed about the nutrition, percentage of carbs, protein and fat. Thanks

I was referring to the % for the LCHF way of eating that works very well for reducing blood glucose and weight.

For example, Carbohydrates 5-10%, Proteins 15-20% and fats/oils 70-80%.

so for example a 2000 calorie/day diet would be 25-50 grams of carbs,75-100 grams protein and 155.5 -177.7 grams of fats.

Most need to go to 5% carbs 15% proteins and 80% fats, but we are all different so that everybody must find out what works for her/him.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the explanation re the BG meter.

Reactions: 3 people

lyndarose

Day 2
Not feeling good at all today headaches, bit wobbly when walking etc. I am not sure but maybe I have cut my carbs too far. I have had 10 g today. Hungry and bad taste in mouth. Any suggestions welcome.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That bad taste may be a sign that your body is going into ketosis - fat burning mode, so you're doing OK. It can also be caused by ammonia which is generated if you're eating a lot of/too much protein. Have a look here for more info about breath/bad taste issues. Wobbly may mean you're not getting enough fuel, so in all cases make sure that you're eating enough fatty and oily food to replace the "missing" carbs. But remember you don't necessarily need to go super low carbohysdrate-wise to see great improvements.

Robbity

Last edited by a moderator:

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Day 2
Not feeling good at all today headaches, bit wobbly when walking etc. I am not sure but maybe I have cut my carbs too far. I have had 10 g today. Hungry and bad taste in mouth. Any suggestions welcome.

Are you eating enough salt with your food.? and drinking enough water/tea etc