"I low carb to my meter" ?

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've seen several people on the site say "I low carb to my meter" and am not 100% what this means.
Is this when you do a blood glucose reading before a meal and then eat a low carb meal if the reason is high?
Is this something that people like me (unstable at the moment) should be doing?
I've also noticed that on some posts there has been something said about the difference between a before reading and a 2hr after reading is ideally 2 mmol.
So my monitor is recording in mmol? I think such a small difference is quite a long way away for me!
Thanks everyone for your help, I do feel like a real twit at the moment!
BeeGee

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've seen several people on the site say "I low carb to my meter" and am not 100% what this means.
Is this when you do a blood glucose reading before a meal and then eat a low carb meal if the reason is high?
I've also noticed that on some posts there has been something said about the difference between a before reading and a 2hr after reading is ideally 2 mmol.
So my monitor is recording in mmol? I think such a small difference is quite a long way away for me!
BeeGee

What readings is your meter giving you at the moment?

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night I was 26.6 before evening meal.
After a walk and waiting a bit it was 22 before food and 2hrs after eating 18.2
Yup, I'm awkard!
This morning before breakfast it was 15

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Considering you're readings at diagnosis, and the steady decrease, those seem good.
You don't want to force them down quickly, a period of several weeks is better than days, to let your body adjust to the new lower levels.

What is your regime, as it seems to be working for you.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a super and simple little site. Thanks for that link.
BeeGee

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BeeGee

Hi,

I'm one of the people with that comment in my signature.

It basically means that if I find a food or a portion size that sends my blood glucose up to high, according to my blood glucose meter readings, then I avoid the food, or eat a smaller portion.

I use approximately the same target levels as are given on the http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php website.

As an example:

• I might eat a normal size bowl of porridge, just like I used to before diagnosis. And test my blood glucose (BG). The readings rocket up above my target, two hours after eating. I check this a couple of times, and the result is consistently depressing. :(
  • So then I try and work out how big a portion of porridge I can eat, without my BG spiking too high.
  • After several days of trial and error, I discover that I can eat 1/3 of my original portion size. :(
  • But then I read (somewhere on this forum) that if you mix ground flax seed and ground almonds into the porridge, it doesn't affect your BG so badly.
  • Several more days of trial and error, and I end up with a bowl of porridge, flax and almonds, which only sends my BG up a little (well within my target) AND it fills me up more, and lasts all the way til lunch, without me having to snack.

Thats how 'eating to my meter' works for me. :)

Reactions: 10 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

It basically means that if I find a food or a portion size that sends my blood glucose up to high, according to my blood glucose meter readings, then I avoid the food, or eat a smaller portion.

I use approximately the same target levels as are given on the http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php website.

As an example:

• I might eat a normal size bowl of porridge, just like I used to before diagnosis. And test my blood glucose (BG). The readings rocket up above my target, two hours after eating. I check this a couple of times, and the result is consistently depressing. :(
  • So then I try and work out how big a portion of porridge I can eat, without my BG spiking too high.
  • After several days of trial and error, I discover that I can eat 1/3 of my original portion size. :(
  • But then I read (somewhere on this forum) that if you mix ground flax seed and ground almonds into the porridge, it doesn't affect your BG so badly.
  • Several more days of trial and error, and I end up with a bowl of porridge, flax and almonds, which only sends my BG up a little (well within my target) AND it fills me up more, and lasts all the way til lunch, without me having to snack.

Brilliant.

Reactions: 2 people

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Eating to your meter is a common deal for many diabetics or it is here (in Canada and the US) its what we're told to do to learn how to control our conditions be it T1 or T2.

Even T1s here are told to do it to lean how much insulin you will need to cover what you've eaten and to learn how carb sensitive and insulin sensitive you are = insulin to carb ratio.

Its how I can eat a bowl of Rice with Tofu and Veggies and only need to take a few units of insulin to cover what I'm eating

Also when taking this into consideration you have to understand that protein and fat absorb slower in your system then carbs thus the two hour mark might not be the right number form a meal it could be delayed reaction and 3 to 4 hours later you'll spike because of the amount of protein/fat in the meal that masked the carbs you ate finally hits (depends on how your body processes the fats/proteins that you took in with your meal).

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

As an example:

Considering you're readings at diagnosis, and the steady decrease, those seem good.
You don't want to force them down quickly, a period of several weeks is better than days, to let your body adjust to the new lower levels.

What is your regime, as it seems to be working for you.
Do you have a source or link for that Douglas. It is not the first time I have heard it recently.

Magrat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

As an example:

Thanks, I was just about to ask what 'eating to your meter' involved. this is very helpful.