I think I am diabetic.

A

Anonymous

Hi.
I recently went to see my rheumatologist, and as usual they checked my urine. There was high traces of glucose in my wee, so they sent me for a blood test. It took the best part of three week for the results to get to my Dr. The reading was 10. something. My doctor ordered a fasting glucose test, which was done last Monday. On Wednesday morning he rang me to say I needed to repeat the second part of the test, so I picked up the script for another glucose drink. Yesterday I had that blood test. I asked the nurse for the pre3vious test results, and pre glucose it was 10.3, and after is was 18.2.

Last night the on call Doc rang asking me to go to the local cottage hospital as the lab had rang because this time my blood sugars were 24.3. He said I was diabetic, which obviously I am, and to follow a diabetic diet. I will see my gp on Monday, but at this point I am in a bit of a daze, and have no idea what I can eat :shock:

I don`t even know what I am hoping for by posting. I read the stickies for being newly diagnosed.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Hi Jeannemum,

Welcome to our not so exclusive little club.

We've all been where you are now (in my case about a year ago). I can still remember how stunned I felt, and as that faded, how confused, frustrated and upset.

Don't worry, it gets better very quickly, and you'll be surprised just how good you'll feel as soon as you get your BG under control.

I think that the best thing you can do right now is read about carbohydrate and work out how many grams of carbohydrate are in some of the things that you eat. At least at first, I'd think about cutting out or reducing things like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and anything with sugar in it.

You've come to the right place, it will be alright...

Stephen

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Jeannemum

Did you go to the local cottage hospital as your doctor suggested? If you did what did they say? Your details say you are Type 2. If you know that to be the correct then there's some advice below. If you are not sure or have not been told what Type you are then you really should wait to see your gp.

Until you see your gp cut out anything with sugar in it so obvious things like cakes and biscuits (I expect you knew that was coming!) You'll also need to stop things like pure orange juice or other fruit juices, non diet versions of fizzy drinks like Coke etc.

At this stage to get you going cut down as much as you can (say at least halve) rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals and anything made with flour. If you get hungry replace with more veg, meat of any kind, cheese. A small amount of fruit each day is fine but try eating it with your main meal. Yoghurt should also be fine.

Go see your gp on Monday and then come back to the forum and just ask questions. Everybody did that to start with. I was only diagnosed 3 months ago but the advice I found on this forum has been a life safer. It's allowed me to get control of my diabetes and keep myself safe.

Take care and don't worry too much.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Stephen. I bought a couple of kindle e books to give me some ideas. I love my food, so I hope I can get to grips with this quickly, and lose a few stones because of my love of food :oops:

A

Anonymous

xyzzy said:
Hi Jeannemum

Did you go to the local cottage hospital as your doctor suggested? If you did what did they say? Your details say you are Type 2. If you know that to be the correct then there's some advice below. If you are not sure or have not been told what Type you are then you really should wait to see your gp.

Until you see your gp cut out anything with sugar in it so obvious things like cakes and biscuits (I expect you knew that was coming!) You'll also need to stop things like pure orange juice or other fruit juices, non diet versions of fizzy drinks like Coke etc.

At this stage to get you going cut down as much as you can (say at least halve) rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals and anything made with flour. If you get hungry replace with more veg, meat of any kind, cheese. A small amount of fruit each day is fine but try eating it with your main meal. Yoghurt should also be fine.

Go see your gp on Monday and then come back to the forum and just ask questions. Everybody did that to start with. I was only diagnosed 3 months ago but the advice I found on this forum has been a life safer. It's allowed me to get control of my diabetes and keep myself safe.

Take care and don't worry too much.

I did go to the cottage hospital xyzzy. The doctor tested for ketones, and then he did a fingerprick test, and my reading was 11. He told me not to eat sugar as well. I am as sure as I can be I am type 2. I`m 56 next week, and have a large waist in comparison to the rest of me. It is also in my family.

I am going to go shopping tomorrow and buy a chicken to roast. Luckily I like veg, and love fruit, so I should be fine for now.

Do you know what is the cruelest thing of all? I gave up chocolate for lent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jeannemum said:
Thanks Stephen. I bought a couple of kindle e books to give me some ideas. I love my food, so I hope I can get to grips with this quickly, and lose a few stones because of my love of food :oops:

I think you'll find that once you get your Blood Glucose under control that you'll probably lose a few stones for free. I lost 3.5 stones without even trying very hard.

A

Anonymous

borofergie said:
Jeannemum said:

I think you'll find that once you get your Blood Glucose under control that you'll probably lose a few stones for free. I lost 3.5 stones without even trying very hard.

borofergie. That would be a dream come true. I have been struggling to shift the flab for ages.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. It's most likely if you are over 50 and perhaps a bit overweight that you are T2. As others have said keep the carbs down and have low-GI carbs where you can e.g. Burgen bread. The good news is that 85% dark chcolate can be very low carb. Green & Blacks is great and I discovered yesterday that Sainsbury's 85% is even less carb! Daisy will probably be along shortly on the forum to give you links to bits of information on the site.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Jeannemum and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information that Daibell mentioned which we give to new members. Ask as many questions as you like as there is usually someone who knows the answer.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates
A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

A

Anonymous

Thank you both for the welcome. I can tell you are all a friendly helpful lot, and I am looking forwards to learning from everyone.

I plan to ask my Dr for a glucose monitor tomorrow. I don`t know if I have any chance of getting one so soon, but it looks like my lowest reading is over 10 going by three baseline tests, and as far as I can see that is really bad for my organs. Fingers crossed for me everyone!

me-to-you71

hi

i found out about 2 weeks ago that im type 2 and went to see the diabetic nurse last week and she said i can eat anything bt just watch what it is and have a little of it ....im still comfued at how many cads your aload a day . she tald me i can have chocolate the best one to have is the little freddo chococlate bar once a week will be fine and one small cake will be fine .

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
me-to-you71 said:
i found out about 2 weeks ago that im type 2 and went to see the diabetic nurse last week and she said i can eat anything bt just watch what it is and have a little of it ....im still comfued at how many cads your aload a day . she tald me i can have chocolate the best one to have is the little freddo chococlate bar once a week will be fine and one small cake will be fine .

Did she explain what she meant by "watch what it is"? If she meant "watch the carb content" then fine, otherwise it sounds like another example bad NHS advice to newly diagnosed diabetics.

The amount of carbs that you can tolerate depends on your body and the state of your endocrine system. Since you have to start somewhere, 100g is a figure that some people suggest is a good an achievable starting point. You might be able to get away with more, you might be able to tolerate less.

You can do this either by working out what the carbohydrate content of your meal is and scaling the portions appropriately, or you can try to cut out refined carbs altogether, for example bread, pasta, rice, anything with four or sugar in it and potatoes and other starchy veg.

I think the latter approach is easier, but some people (like Sid Bonkers) have had equal success witht he first approach.

A small bar of Freddy chocolate is fine, as long as you include it in your carbohydrate total. Some people suggest that it's easier if you cut out very sweet things entirely, and once you are carb counting, you might find that there are more satisfying uses for the 10g of carb in the choccy bar.

me-to-you71

i had pasta last night for tea with pasta sauce on it and as fine after but i do take my meformin as soon as i have eaten so that mite have helped ....i do look at the carbs in every thing i eat so i go for thing that are very very low in carbs if i have any .....i had a fizzy drink the other day sugar free and didnt feel to well after but had something to eat took my metformin and felt fine

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
me-to-you71 said:
i had pasta last night for tea with pasta sauce on it and as fine after but i do take my meformin as soon as i have eaten so that mite have helped ...

I don't think that metformin works like that, they tell you to eat it with meals to stop it upsetting your stomach, not because it helps to immediately reduce your blood glucose.

When you say you were fine, do you mean that you felt fine or that you blood glucose was fine? Do you have a blood testing meter? I'd be surprised if pasta didn't spike you at least a bit (and quite possibly a lot). It's one of the things that almost none of us (well controlled) T2s can ean eat.

You could try making lasagne with sliced aubergines instead of pasta - as Whitbyjet or wifilib suggested. I had that today, it was much better than pasta lasagne.

C

catherinecherub

me-to-you71 said:
my dabetic nurse said its fine to have lasagne but dont have chips with it and only have a little
Did she also give you a meter and test strips and explain the importance of testing?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
me-to-you71 said:
my dabetic nurse said its fine to have lasagne but dont have chips with it and only have a little

me-to-you71

Your diabetic nurse is telling you the standard NHS diet info. That's fine if you are happy ending up being treated like most T2's where it's expected you will need to progress to take more and more stronger diabetic drugs and finally go on insulin and accept the consequences of that which is on average you will die around 10 years sooner than you should.

Many of us on the forum simply don't except the route planned out for us is the only way especially when we see that more and more countries led by Sweden (who's health care system is seen my many to be the most modern in the world) and other enlightened countries have updated their dietary recommendations based on research done in the last few years. Did you realise the NHS diabetic dietary guidelines were drawn up nearly 40 years ago and have remained unchanged since then?

What all these modern countries health systems say is that cutting starchy carbohydrate and adopting a low to moderate carbohydrate diet is key to allowing diabetics get control of their blood sugars, loose the weight they need and get back in control of their lives.

Forum members who follow this way of doing things end up finding that they can get back to having nearly normal blood sugars by working out how much carbohydrate they can tolerate in their food each day. If you were Swedish you would be recommended to aim for around 120 g of carbohydrate a day at the outset i.e a level similar to what borofergie said. If that was still too much and you found your blood sugar levels were still outside safe levels they would not even discourage you dropping carbohydrates to ultra low levels of 30 g or less.

I have personally followed this route and have gone from a position where I was ON the NHS diet and went from being diagnosed pre diabetic to full on dangerous T2 diabetes within a year to a position within 3 months of adopting the low carbohydrate approach of now having the blood sugar levels of an average non diabetic person at all times of the day. I know this is true because I measure my blood sugar levels 7 times a day. I am not cured because if I eat a normal amount of carbohydrate my blood sugars will rise dangerously but while I keep on my current diet I am safe, in control and feeling the best I've done in years. I've also lost just over 2 and a half stone in those 12 weeks.

A

Anonymous

I think it sounds like I may as well miss the diabetic nurse out. It sounds like they are trying to kill us!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jeannemum said:
I think it sounds like I may as well miss the diabetic nurse out. It sounds like they are trying to kill us!

Don't miss him (or her) out, but make sure you do your own research and form your opinion.

A

Anonymous

borofergie said:
Jeannemum said:

Don't miss him (or her) out, but make sure you do your own research and form your opinion.

I know I will have to see them really. As I get the hang of all this I am sure the results will speak for themselves :wink: