I think i might have hypoglycemia

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've had anxiety for a while, believe me I'm aware of it :D

Normal levels of carbs, according to conventional science, seem to be really really high - 200g-250g! Even eating ryvitas and wholeweat bread, that's a lot!

I'd like to continue as I am, tbh. Other than the anomalous hyper reaction, which could be down to having not eaten for about 3 hours (which is unusual for me) as well as suddenly not having so many carbs in the system for the first time, I've only had a couple other weird 'feelings' - firstly that sense of tiredness i mention. That may well also be if not due to actual tiredness then due to a change in system just feeling different - or it might even be ketosis! I've no idea. I don't have a ketone meter (actually i think the first meter the chemist gave me weeks ago can measure ketones, but i don't have strips for it). Finally, having just eaten dinner, i felt somewhat 'un' full. It was a portion of chicken with a side dish of lentils I chose not to eat ( i made them just in case) and some veg. But I was struggling with the veg a bit, i think i may have undercooked them and it was a bit of a mouthful. They didn't go down easy so perhaps it was a tummy thing. I checked my blood sugar and it came back in the 6's.

So much uncertainty. But having taken these tentative steps I'm feeling like the tirhgtrope walker halfway along the journey. So many people speak well of ketosis (though i've no idea and can't possibly assume i am in that state or definitely reaching it), or at the very least the benefits of cutting carbs/breads etc. In fact one piece of ryvita is the most ive eaten today and could well be very close to 20g carbs. Though i must be mindful that this may be inadvisable, which, i'm sensing, is the vibe here.

I will stick with the same breakfast again for tomorrow, but perhaps a little lighter, and move the lunch/snack that gave me the weird reading (and sensation) forward so there isn't as long a gap. This way i'm eating better (hopefully), but still a little closer and a little smaller. Instead of a huge breakfast, long gap, then food. But I didn't and haven't hypo'd yet. I did reach 4.9 around 4-30pm as i started cooking.

Thank you all again for the kind support, though I'm sure I must be sounding completely crazy at this point!

You are not crazy at all, just unsure of what lies ahead and still not certain how you can control whatever condition you have.
There is a long way to go but reducing your carbs will eventually help anyway, yes, stick to the small meals.
Hopefully diagnosis will help you decide what actions to take, keep in touch and let us know how you are doing!

Reactions: ghost_whistler

ghost_whistler

Had the same breakfast as earlier.

I think i felt tense (as you might) during the counselling session and came out thinking I was hungry, but it passed. Checked my BS and it was 5.6, got some intermittent hunger pangs before checking an hour later. It wsa the same. Just had lunch and (re)cooked my oopsie bread (it went a bit too oopsie when i tried yesterday). Lunch was a couple of pieces of cheese as yesterday and a piece of 170g chicken portion cooked with a little bit of cabbage (i've no idea how much, i cut a circle through the cabbage just under an inch thick). I thought I was getting those weird hyper symptoms again, as i felt myself getting a bit hot/sweaty, but I checked my BS and it was in the 6's.

Im burning through these strips!