I think I'm doing a good job

rayb0654

I was diagnosed with T2 on May 18th. I was told that my Bg had been 16. The doctor put me on Gliclazide (half an 80mg tablet twice a day). I started testing myself when I wake up a saw the Bg levels start to fall quite quickly, within a week I was down to 8 to 9. I'm now consistently betwwen 5 and 6 first thing in the morning, I have been as low as 4.7.
I've started exercising daily but managed to agravate some old injuries by running. I've now bought an eliptical trainer, no impact, which is great. I do about 30 mins a day, I've always said before that I don't have time for exercise, now it's the priority everyday.
I've read a lot about diet and decided to try my own diet based on avoiding some things. I've cut out most hi carb foods and started eating a lot more low GI foods. Also eating a lot more fruit and vegetables, probably more like 7 a day than 5. I've cut down on tea and coffee and fruit juice. The thirst I had before being diagnosed resulted in me drinking at least a litre of fruit juice a day, plus fizzy drinks.
The doctor has also put me on Simvastatin (40mg daily) as a precaution, my cholesterol was pretty low (4.9) anyway.
I've lost another 10lb since starting on Gliclazide, so you can take it and lose weight! I've also seen a drop in my blood pressure.
The past few days I've had headaches and checked my Bg and Blood Pressure. A couple of hours after eating my Bg is around 7 and BP around 115/75. I had to come home from work yesterday with a headache and felt a bit sick. Checked my Bg and it was 3.7 and BP was 112/70.
I'm hoping that at my 3 month check up the Doctor might let me try and control things with just diet and exercise.

jane22

I don't have anything clever to say Ray but well done. Sounds like you are being proactive and taking your health seriously. :)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree - you are doing a fantastic job well done! :D - just watch those lows - anything below 4 is a hypo as as you are on Glic it is a hypo inducing drug- you are right about you can stil lose weight on Glic - I have lost almost 100lb since last June so its not impossible. My GP told me that it isn't the meds that put you weight on but they do increase your appetite so you have to watch your portion control. Well done and keep it up!

(off to google eliptical trainer - sounds like something I could do with!)