I want a baby! :)

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me posting :)

My husband was diagnosed T1 last month, he's doing really well managing his sugar and things are good :)
I was just wondering, will having diabetes effect us trying to have a baby? I read an article stating that T1 can effect sperm and it's just been playing on my mind!
Also, can T1 be hereditary? I also read that some where!

I really hope you don't mind me asking, these questions may seem really stupid.

Thanks so much,
Kirstie xx

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes...type 1 can be hereditary...but having said that...I'm the first in my family that I know of...but honestly...I wouldn't let this worry you...as you know by now with your husbands diagnosis...it's a manageable condition and there is ongoing research and studies that indicate there could well be life changing advances or even cures over the next few years.

I know nothing of the research that you speak of...but I personally I know two type 1 diabetic guys both diagnosed as toddlers who have both gone on to have large families...one with 3 kids...the other with 4...and thus far...(touch wood)...none of the kids have been diagnosed diabetic.

Reactions: 2 people

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes...type 1 can be hereditary...but having said that...I'm the first in my family that I know of...but honestly...I wouldn't let this worry you...as you know by now with your husbands diagnosis...it's a manageable condition and there is ongoing research and studies that indicate there could well be life changing advances or even cures over the next few years.

I know nothing of the research that you speak of...but I personally I know two type 1 diabetic guys both diagnosed as toddlers who have both gone on to have large families...one with 3 kids...the other with 4...and thus far...(touch wood)...none of the kids have been diagnosed diabetic.

Ah that's brilliant, thank you so much :) that's really helped.
Time to make a baby!...I'm kidding, I'm watching TV! But thank you very much! :)x

Reactions: 4 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Give the poor guy a break lol...but honestly it's a huge thing for anyone...give him chance to get his head round it all...still early days for him and may take him a bit of time to adjust.

All the best
Natalie

sleepyheadzzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me posting :)

My husband was diagnosed T1 last month, he's doing really well managing his sugar and things are good :)
I was just wondering, will having diabetes effect us trying to have a baby? I read an article stating that T1 can effect sperm and it's just been playing on my mind!
Also, can T1 be hereditary? I also read that some where!

I really hope you don't mind me asking, these questions may seem really stupid.

Thanks so much,
Kirstie xx

Hello,

Always a bit of a roller coaster with a new diagnosis but sounds like he's handling it alright. As long as he's working on getting his sugars controlled I wouldn't be too worried about it affecting fertility. There aren't a lot of studies about male fertility and T1 diabetes, but there is some evidence that prolonged high bloodsugars can cause issues with sperm DNA - but again, I wouldn't be too worried since he's working on getting it controlled better.

T1 is hereditary, but it also seems like luck of the draw. I'm the only person that we know of on either side of my family going back 4 generations. I know a family that also can't find anyone in their family tree previously diagnosed, but all 3 sons ended up with it.

• Neither parents having T1 means there's a 1/100 chance the child will have T1.
  • A mother with T1 who has a child conceived before she's 25 has a 1/25 chance of the child having T1.
  • A mother with T1 who has a child conceived after 25 has a 1/100 chance of the child having T1 (so same as non-diabetic parents).
  • A father with T1 means the child has a 1/17 risk the child will have T1.
  • And finally, a parent who was dx by the age of 11 means the child's risk of T1 doubles (for example, I was dx at 10 and I'm 29 so that means my child's risk is 1/50).
(Information from the American Diabetes Association)

Again, it's really just the luck of the draw. I know lots of folks who have T1 who have kids who are over 20 and haven't been dx so far, and there's some that end up with 1 out of a few kids dx so it could happen, but it's not enough of a reason for me personally to not have a kid. And lots of folks like me who can't find any history and get it anyway.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good luck and wishing you all the best. I had my teen at 42 1/2 years old and she is fit and healthy. We may have diabetes, but it doesn't rule us, it's just a small part of who we are.

With my best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 6 people

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
From the title, I thought you were looking for volunteers. Sorry, I'm past my use by date.:)

I had T1 for over 25 years before having kids and I now have 2 healthy teenage daughters who don't have T1.
Although their odds of getting T1 are slightly increased, I wouldn't change anything.

Best of Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was worried about my baby having diabetes but I spoke to my diabetic team and she actually said because I'm diabetic my baby is protected against it! Also people think T1 is hereditary ( I used to) but apparently T2 is more hereditary in family's!

I have heard if a man isn't very well controlled for a long period of time it can effect it, just like if your a diabetic women. If your control is bad your body sometimes struggles to get pregnant.

Xx

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was worried about my baby having diabetes but I spoke to my diabetic team and she actually said because I'm diabetic my baby is protected against it! Also people think T1 is hereditary ( I used to) but apparently T2 is more hereditary in family's!

I have heard if a man isn't very well controlled for a long period of time it can effect it, just like if your a diabetic women. If your control is bad your body sometimes struggles to get pregnant.

Xx
Gosh that's amazing! Weird how the human body works! Thanks so much we can't wait to start a family xxxx

cleo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to control effects of stress on blood sugars
Hiya, prob best to let your man (and you) get used to the diabetes before ttc, and use the time to take folic acid, cut alcohol, improve diet etc (if you haven't done all these things already). Sperm takes 3 months to mature so you want your man in tip top health for at least that amount if time before you conceive, just incase.

I was advised type 1 dads are more likely to pass on an autoimmune disease, not necessarily diabetes. My dad was diagnosed type 1 long before the days of checking blood sugars so no idea how his control was pre-conception. Out of 4, my only sibling that doesn't have any autoimmune conditions was a late baby (12 year gap) by which point dad was testing regularly, hba1c was good etc. don't know about the official research, and we've maybe just had bad luck, but based on our experience I'd say wait till sugars stabilised for a few months. Just my opinion though!

All the best when you do decide to give it a go :)