I'd like to spread the word a bit, can anyone help?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also have the understanding that typically T2s will be producing too much insulin and the c-peptide test can help distinguish T1 from T2 by measuring the level. A T2 who has a low level of insulin will tend to present as slim due to fat burning and need a sulfonylurea such as Gliclazide to stimulate the remaining beta cells. Some of these 'T2s', if not most, are probably best labelled LADA although I know some on this forum say a LADA has to strictly have auto-immune failure but viral damage has the same end result so I would include it.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My DN told me to eat baked potatoes with baked beans. I also believed her ... at first! :banghead:

The relevance and importance of high insulin is relatively new science. Your DN has zero knowledge of your insulin levels without the appropriate tests, and as these tests are not done routinely on the NHS she probably has never heard of them. Several people on this forum have paid to have them done privately. The only tests available on the NHS are the c-peptide tests done to help determine if a person maybe T1. I can't say one way or the other what your circulating insulin levels are or how well your pancreas functions - but nor can your nurse!

Being relative new science explains why I'm behind (having just about got the hang of a potato peeler).
There are only a handful of people who know who my DN is. If she ever gets to read my tale she'll know exactly who I am - I'll probably be stabbed. Even though no name or location is mentioned I do feel bad as it looks like a personal attack (which it is in a way) but I'd like to hope that she says what she does because she's told to do so. I know it's not a willful effort to mislead.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good job @Jo_the_boat I've read the lot and commend you. Well done for you 2 stone loss and lowered HbA1c. A few understandable typos (sorry I didn't think to note these, but I think 2 or 3). Love your points on the symptoms especially the technical names in brackets. Great reference of the huge (in a good way) Dr Sarah Halberg.

I agree with @Bluetit1802 that Type 2's can also produce too much insulin which is basically ineffective due to "rusty" receptors on the cells.

Your point on not requiring carbs is fair enough, but I am not sure if you covered our body will make what is required in terms of glucose, even from protein. And that running on FAT (becoming FAT adapted is a viable alternative, that supports all bodily functions), perhaps a reference to Ketosis - Professor Noakes might be worth a mention here.

For me the jury is out on whether the NHS choices are good for the majority of non-diabetics after a full days meals and snacks. Take for example persons in the 40's and 50's who have "normal" blood sugars and HbA1c's, their pancreas have taken a battering on the current guidelines for decades and no doubt require greater levels of insulin to cover the "hit" compared to when they were in the 20's and 30's. Judging by the number of overweight, obese and persons with abnormal blood sugars but not yet diagnosed diabetes, I think it is logical that these persons are close to the diabetic cliff - Just my opinion - you might want watch these 2 (although gut bacteria is discussed so is insulin response with surprising results that all non-diabetics should watch):

I am not sure you covered that berries are low carb and the best fruit for a Type 2, along with lemons and limes.

Small point but my HbA1c was 134, you say up to 120.

Where you mention fasting, it might be useful to put a couple of links to the one and only Dr Jason Fung.

Where you mention Metformin issues, can you consider including the contra-indications with Kidney issues (very important as Metformin can lower function for some).

In your section on the millions with diabetes, you might want to point out that circa every 17 seconds someone across the globe is told they have diabetes.

I agree that all Type 2's are different, but I think it is possible to produce a dietary list that Type 2's can cherry pick from which could work for around 85%; I agree that some can't tolerate for example diary or might be allergic to a specific food, or don't like fish; but I feel we know enough to have a broad list.

Mainstream advocate Metformin, Sulphonylureas, Insulin, in any combination, sometimes Gastric Bands if very obese and rarely diet and exercise. Whereas the alternative routes are LCHF (or variations such as PALEO) with or without exercise (I think it is important to state that exercise is around 15 - 20% compared to diet and it good at the maintenance of weight and general health), Intermittent Fasting, Keto (explain the differences in carbs) and Newcastle Diet

Thank you for the detailed (and informative) response.
I watched the 2 episodes. A healthy diet was key to it, not surprisingly, but it showed that very fit younger people can be storing up trouble without a change, and outward appearance is not necessarily the ultimate marker to good health.
Some very interesting research going on too.
I note your other points too, thanks.
As others have suggested things as well, what I will do over the next few days is assimilate all the responses and try and incorporate them into my (our) story.
Thanks again.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We're all linked by variations of a common condition.
I don't even know most of your names, not that it matters, but what is important is that what we cumulatively know may help others.
As I've said to MBaker I will assimilate your responses and include them in the text, while trying not to make it too complicated and confusing.
The other thing I haven't included is any explanation about inflammation, which I will try and do also.
PLUS sorting out some of the typos.
I'll post the link again when I've finished in case you want to forward it on.
The other alarming thing is most people's antipathy to diabetes. My wife told a ('large') friend of ours recently that I had developed T2. His response was, 'It's only Type 2, most people have that, it's no big deal.'
Finally, I have a number of Facebook 'friends' (some are real life friends) who are really into food. They regularly post photos their meals and try different recipes. I will try and get them on side, without preaching.
Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Speedbird

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wanted to share my thoughts about my experience with diabetes. It took me a few years to find the right angle and outlet. I finally settled on blogging for Diabetes UK. They give me complete control over what to write. Occasionally, they ask me if I would like to contribute towards something they are pushing at the time but there is no pressure to do so. There is also no pressure about how often I write: it is entirely up to me.
Whilst I have type 1, they have contributions from type 1 and 2 and people who are affected by diabetes indirectly.
They seem to add new bloggers with different angles on their experiences and thoughts so, if you want to spread your word, they could be an option.
The Diabetes UK blog site is http://blogs.diabetes.org.uk/

Thank you, I’m keen to do this and follow in your footsteps!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
We're all linked by variations of a common condition.
I don't even know most of your names, not that it matters, but what is important is that what we cumulatively know may help others.
As I've said to MBaker I will assimilate your responses and include them in the text, while trying not to make it too complicated and confusing.
The other thing I haven't included is any explanation about inflammation, which I will try and do also.
PLUS sorting out some of the typos.
I'll post the link again when I've finished in case you want to forward it on.
The other alarming thing is most people's antipathy to diabetes. My wife told a ('large') friend of ours recently that I had developed T2. His response was, 'It's only Type 2, most people have that, it's no big deal.'
Finally, I have a number of Facebook 'friends' (some are real life friends) who are really into food. They regularly post photos their meals and try different recipes. I will try and get them on side, without preaching.
Thanks everyone.
Brilliant. You are likely to have some lap up all of your information, while others may actually be hostile, this happened to me with my brother, quite strange. Now in his own time he has asked for information and "we" are even dropping off some low carb stuff today at a family gathering. I got diagnosed at 48 years old, my brother is almost 47, carrying more timber than I was (even though he and I look "normal" by todays standards) and eating worse so I am relieved he is taking it seriously. A football grounds man I know who is Type 2 just wants to eat what he wants and take Metformin. It's great that you can just give a one liner referring to your site rather than be preachy.

I have a project that I cannot reference which will be out in around 6 weeks that will assist diabetics to log numbers and see what protocols work, e.g. LCHF, low calorie, ND etc. It will be possible to have graphs and charts and much more.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant. You are likely to have some lap up all of your information, while others may actually be hostile, this happened to me with my brother, quite strange. Now in his own time he has asked for information and "we" are even dropping off some low carb stuff today at a family gathering. I got diagnosed at 48 years old, my brother is almost 47, carrying more timber than I was (even though he and I look "normal" by todays standards) and eating worse so I am relieved he is taking it seriously. A football grounds man I know who is Type 2 just wants to eat what he wants and take Metformin. It's great that you can just give a one liner referring to your site rather than be preachy.

I have a project that I cannot reference which will be out in around 6 weeks that will assist diabetics to log numbers and see what protocols work, e.g. LCHF, low calorie, ND etc. It will be possible to have graphs and charts and much more.

Good to hear about your brother for sure.
I suspect you're right too, some may lap it up while others are hostile. Most though, I fear, will basically ignore it.
Some folk on here may find it vaguely interesting because they can identify with it - and improve on it. Of course we know the ins and outs. It's the rest we need to try and reach.
Best of luck with your project!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone
Sorry but why do you want to get those who I presume are non diabetic friends on side why should they take any notice of what you say that does sound like preaching.

Arlmy

I have written 'my story so far'.
I've written it on my own web site as that was the best way for me to get it down and spread the word.
It's going to be sent to my friends, family and other people on my database.
It's NOT a money-making thing. I just want to inform people about (primarily) T2 from a personal angle.

If anyone has time could they have a scroll through and let me know a) if it reads OK and b) if I've made any glaring ****-ups.
PM me if you'd rather..

Here..... http://abargeatlarge.co.uk/articles/the fat bloke/index.html

Thanks
Morning Jo
Very interesting - I enjoyed reading your article last night - emotional and funny, very in-depth and detailed insight on your journey so far, planning to read again as you also have some very valuable take home info - I was too tired to take it all in, noticed two small grammatical errors - will note next time
Thanks for sharing, looking forward to reading more

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but why do you want to get those who I presume are non diabetic friends on side why should they take any notice of what you say that does sound like preaching.

In order to help reduce the risk of them becoming diabetic.

Rintintin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for representing a similar tale to mine in such articulate words, I would like to share this with my family, friends and possibly my diabetic nurse too.
Well done on your success.

Reactions: Speedbird

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have another small point. Throughout your blog you talk about too much sugar. The word sugar is mentioned a lot. If you are partly aiming this at the uninitiated, the word sugar means the white stuff in a sugar bowl and nothing else. We all know, or should do by now, that sugar is bad for us, so cutting out sugar is good, but not good enough if we want to avoid problems. It isn't just sugar. You and the rest of us here know this .... but what about the general population? Maybe the word glucose would be better .... with some explanation of how glucose arrives in our system via carbohydrate.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In order to help reduce the risk of them becoming diabetic.
I doubt very much that most would listen I wonder how many of us would have done before we developed diabetes With myself when I knew I was prediabetic I cut the carbs stopped all sugar stuff potatoes and bread.. never did eat pasta or rice but I still as my doctor predicted developed T2

Last edited:

Biggles2

Wonderful @Mbaker! I have been searching for something like this - it will be very useful.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I take your point.
Basically because much of the food they cook and post about is carb-laden - lovely but not the healthiest.
Of course I'd like to persuade them to look after themselves a bit better, but one of them in particular may find it a good challenge to dish up good food that is also ultra healthy.
I need to persuade him first what healthy is - that's perhaps more of a challenge.

Reactions: Guzzler

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hank you for representing a similar tale to mine in such articulate words, I would like to share this with my family, friends and possibly my diabetic nurse too.
Well done on your success.

Sure. I'm just amending it a bit - with help from sages on here. Might be a bit better in a few days.
I was going to wait till after Christmas dinner!

Reactions: Rintintin

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jo_the_boat. I enjoyed reading your story. It is very similar to mine. My brother thinks that I just have a “mild” form of diabetes. I may persuade him to read it too.
Looking forward to more. X

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course I'd like to persuade them to look after themselves a bit better, but one of them in particular may find it a good challenge to dish up good food that is also ultra healthy
I would not dream of telling non diabetic friends or family they should not eat carbs that would be to patronising We are not experts on what people should or should not be eating we are just a very small minority of diabetics who eats low carb

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'It's only Type 2, most people have that, it's no big deal.'
Yes!!! I only found out I have a problem with my bg in August, but I'm already losing count of the number of times I've had to hear those words. Grrrr!!!