IDDM T2 and insulin pump therapy

NWCub76

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, so NICE guidelines are that insulin pump therapy is for T1 diabetes. However, the CCGs do have the ability to approve funding for a T2 patient on an individual case-by-case basis. I live in Salford, where the CCG and the PCT before them have never approved insulin pump therapy for any T2 insulin dependent patient, ever.
I discussed this at my diabetes nurse review this afternoon, but my pleas for at least looking into it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

I'm wondering are there any IDDM T2 patients on this forum who are on NHS funded pump therapy? If so, what has your experience been, being on the therapy and it's clinical outcomes for you, and the process of getting approval?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there is one type 2 pump user on the forum, I'm not sure if they are NHS funded and I can't think of their name to tag them, sorry.

Do bear in mind that pump therapy is restricted for those with type 1 diabetes, it isn't a shoo in for access to a pump, a type 1 diabetic would have to meet criteria to get a pump on the NHS.

So to fulfil NICE criteria an adult with type 1 would have to:
  • Demonstrate commitment to good diabetic control with multiple daily injections, carb counting and testing blood sugar at least 4 times a day.
  • Either have frequent hypos without warning causing anxiety or a hba1c over 8.5 despite all efforts at good control on mdi.
There are also ABCD criteria that can be considered. These incorporate quality of life issues.

So are you currently fully utilising mdi? Is there a particular reason you think mdi isn't working for you or a pump would be better?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm wondering are there any IDDM T2 patients on this forum who are on NHS funded pump therapy? If so, what has your experience been, being on the therapy and it's clinical outcomes for you, and the process of getting approval?

@phil169 is a type 2 who uses a pump, hopefully by tagging him he'll see your thread and reply.