Ignored

lindaandric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies and Liars
I have been a Type 1 for 60 years, the sum total of Diabetic Training given was that my mother was told " This is Insulin, give her 1 injection each day with no sugar, no white bread and absolutely no root vegetables and if she's still alive in 10 years time, she could be blind or have lost 1 or more of her limbs but we might have some sort of cure by then. Because I learned very quickly that I was the best person to manage my condition, I did!!
I'm now not allowed to see a Diabetes Consultant no matter what I'm not happy about, because they say I'm too well balanced.
To top this off, my husband was diagnosed 12 months ago with T2 due to his age as he's now 76. We used the skills learned over the years and stabilised his Blood glucose levels within 6 weeks. Because of this he never had a hospital appointment for his Diabetes as they said there was no need. Does anybody else feel really neglected?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been a Type 1 for 60 years, the sum total of Diabetic Training given was that my mother was told " This is Insulin, give her 1 injection each day with no sugar, no white bread and absolutely no root vegetables and if she's still alive in 10 years time, she could be blind or have lost 1 or more of her limbs but we might have some sort of cure by then. Because I learned very quickly that I was the best person to manage my condition, I did!!
I'm now not allowed to see a Diabetes Consultant no matter what I'm not happy about, because they say I'm too well balanced.
To top this off, my husband was diagnosed 12 months ago with T2 due to his age as he's now 76. We used the skills learned over the years and stabilised his Blood glucose levels within 6 weeks. Because of this he never had a hospital appointment for his Diabetes as they said there was no need. Does anybody else feel really neglected?
As a rule, T2s are generally seen by surgeries and only in emergencies or referred, do they see an endocrinologist!
I was misdiagnosed for nearly over fifteen years. It wasn't until I got a referral because my GP couldn't understand my symptoms, did she refer me!
Yes, I agree, that we do get ignored or neglected but unfortunately the NHS can't cope with the upsurge in the number of especially T2s!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No I can't say I do @lindaandric, if your well controlled then it's unlikely that your gp will refer you to a diabetes consultant, but you should still get your annual diabetes checks.

Living with type 1 for 60 years is some achievement, well done.

Reactions: 2 people

lindaandric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies and Liars
No I can't say I do @lindaandric, if your well controlled then it's unlikely that your gp will refer you to a diabetes consultant, but you should still get your annual diabetes checks.

Living with type 1 for 60 years is some achievement, well done.
Thanx

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You have done brilliantly.
If you do ever get referred, I reckon you should be charging them for your time!

Reactions: 2 people