I'm a Newbie!

tr4cie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, many thanks for adding me to this group. After being pre-diabetic for a number of years I have now crossed the line and have been diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2.

Although I do not feel physically unwell, I am extremely tired. I work full time but really in danger of falling asleep at my desk. I also can't get past about 8pm without nodding off. I have never felt so tired in all my life. I don't take any medication for diabetes as currently having more bloods done. I do have a thyroid disorder which is currently well controlled so I know its not that slowing me down. Is this usual?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome!

Nodding off and tiredness can be a symptom of lots of things, such as insufficient sleep at night, eating too many carbohydrates, eating too much at one meal, high blood glucose levels, vitamin or mineral deficiencies, and other things. If your blood glucose levels are high after eating, this could be one reason.

While you wait for your blood results, take some time out to read round this forum and also the main website, and learn as much as you can about diabetes and how you can help yourself. Ask as many questions as you like.

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi and welcome to the forums.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you generally sleep well at night. I find that if I eat too many carbs I will get extemely tired still even though I am no longer technically a diabetic. It would be a good idea to get a meter if you dont already have one so you can test your BS, then you will be able to see if high BS may be the cause of your tiredness.

tr4cie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thanks for the responses, I sleep like a log at night (apart from getitng up 2-3 times for toilet) but straight back to sleep all the way until the alarm goes off. I've had bloods done this morning so I await their results. I have muesli and banana usually for breakfast, salad and tuna (usually), fruit and yoghurt. I drink one coffee with milk and sugar every morning (the only coffee I have) and the rest of the day I drink hot water with a slice of lemon. Usually at night I drink fizzy water with a touch of cordial juice in with ice. I have various things for evening meal, sometimes not so good but I thought I was ok for what I'm eating during the day. I'm not just tired, I feel absolutely exhuasted, I'm not just nodding at my desk, I'm having the feeling you do when you're just about to go to sleep where you 'float off' and find myself jolting myself back to reality!! I will see what these blood results come out as but like has been suggested, possibly a meter would tell me more. The joy!