I'm no Michael Phelps

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
But I feel that a bit of swimming may be just the thing for me.

However I am slightly paranoid about being accepted to join a pool when they know about my amputated big toe........don't want to become the local freak?

Anybody got any experience or advice as to how to circumvent this?

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Thanks mate......might be an idea

Bit bright and some stock issues at largest sizes but food for thought certainly

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Traceymac23 - to be honest, I bet very few will notice. Most people are more concerned if their bottom looks big in their swimsuit, or if they're holding in their tummy in the changing rooms.

Of course, some might notice, but even if then notice,it will likely be just the once, wondering what befell you.

Of course, that's easy for me to say, but I'm not sure how many folks lookat others' feet, in any detail.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
@Traceymac23 - to be honest, I bet very few will notice. Most people are more concerned if their bottom looks big in their swimsuit, or if they're holding in their tummy in the changing rooms.

Of course, some might notice, but even if then notice,it will likely be just the once, wondering what befell you.

Of course, that's easy for me to say, but I'm not sure how many folks lookat others' feet, in any detail.
True talk

I'm probably over thinking it or perhaps. Subconsciously putting a barrier in the way of committing to it.

That's it....first thing to do when discharged from hospital is to sign up at the pool(it's next to my GP so I can hand in my discharge summary straight after)...time to dig out those Speedos

Reactions: zauberflote

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
True talk

I'm probably over thinking it or perhaps. Subconsciously putting a barrier in the way of committing to it.

That's it....first thing to do when discharged from hospital is to sign up at the pool(it's next to my GP so I can hand in my discharge summary straight after)...time to dig out those Speedos

After your surgery, just make sure you're cleared for swimming. The last thing you need is to go around this block again.

I think your thinking is quite natural, but when you go on hols, do you notice the number of great long scars folks have from their hip replacement ops? Probably not. Just go and enjoy it. Swimming is great exercise and a great de-stressor.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
After your surgery, just make sure you're cleared for swimming. The last thing you need is to go around this block again.

I think your thinking is quite natural, but when you go on hols, do you notice the number of great long scars folks have from their hip replacement ops? Probably not. Just go and enjoy it. Swimming is great exercise and a great de-stressor.

On it like a car bonnet!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
True talk

Might just be me, but I think people will notice the speedos more than the missing toe. :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Might just be me, but I think people will notice the speedos more than the missing toe. :D
Haha. Speedos seemed to have gained a bad name across the globe. My little girl wears a Speedo costume. And she looks great in them. :D

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No-one will notice. You will be fine. I have an horrendous ugly thick, long scar on my calf that I've had since I was 16 (road accident) and not a single person in the last 55 years has noticed enough to comment or look askance at me either in the pool, on the beach, in a spa, anywhere at all. If you wear socks or whatever, it will draw people's attention to it and you may get questions.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I agree. No-one will notice, and if they do it will fly their mind in 3 seconds. Congratulations on getting started with swimming! I too would make sure with surgeon that you are cleared for the pool. Having had two new hips put in, I am over cautious. I had to wait until the scar was clearly healed over before ocean, pool, or hot tub. Worth it though.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner

Surgeon clearance obtained....in fact positively encouraged. move over Man from Atlantis......wait till they get a bit of me(once I'm out of hospital).

Reactions: Pipp and DCUKMod

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always wear aquasocks in the pool. They have non-slip soles which are really helpful as I am unsteady on my feet. Also offer some protection from any foot infections, which can lurk about in shower and pool area.
As someone with lots of scars and other perceived imperfections I understand your trepidation, @Traceymac23 , but honestly, people using the swimming pool don’t usually care about how others look. They are too busy worrying about how they look themselves, until they get caught by the addictiveness of the feel good factor swimming brings.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Okay......now signed up for 'lane swimming' at my local pool.......and they have a sauna too!!!

first class on saturday....and......by the way they were absolutely fine about my missing tootsie.....fascinated even!!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Okay......now signed up for 'lane swimming' at my local pool.......and they have a sauna too!!!

first class on saturday....and......by the way they were absolutely fine about my missing tootsie.....fascinated even!!

Well, that's good news.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
No one will notice. Everyone is more concerned about how their bodies look. Plus your missing toe will be under water and no one will see.....OR care for that matter