Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
hi
Last Thursday I found out from my Hb1ac blood test (54/56) I have diabetes. I spoke to the dr on the phone and asked him for the numbers. I have a 20 minute app this Thursday (the earliest they could do). It was a bit scary and over the last few days I have felt more and more anxious (sick and horrible in tummy and sweaty)and thinking morbid thoughts(I suffer with bouts of depression/anxiousness over many years but well controlled and under active thyroid for about 5yrs) since that short time I've stopped sugary drinks which I drank loads of and pure fruit juice. I've thought of what I'm eating but I am totally confused with online advice. I love and ate bananas, raspberries, plums etc I eat very few if any puddings,sweets or chocolate. I love crisps but since last thurs have been too scared to eat. It's all so frightening and scary. By the way I only went for a smear test with the nurse when she weighed me (16 st) and suggests I have blood tests etc Please I need some kind of positive advice.
I am 57 very very happily married with 2 daughters xx

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll just try tagging @daisy1 to get the information sheet.
Honestly - I am enjoying diabetes - except that my numbers are now almost normal, I have a meter to test my blood glucose and I can eat berries or melon along with salads and low starch vegetables - I put cream in my coffee - I hope that I'll be able to eat a few more things in future, but so far I have not had to try very hard to get really excellent results.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Rosiegough_
welcome to the forum !!:)
i would say to you that you have found us !! ( yay You !! )
it is a hard thing to get to understanding at first because it is a big change from what you are used to.
try to think slowly and not get ahead of yourself -- you will need to make some changes to diet over time and possibly look at exercising fairly regularly.
you will get many people replying to you here ( which is a good thing ) -- so you will get a broad picture of things you can do to help yourself.
one of the most important things you can do is take ownership of your Diabetes- your health care team are there to help but owning your condition and choosing the paths that are right for you are the most important things in controlling this D.

all the best !!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @Rosiegough_ :)

I found my way here two years ago, within a few days of being re-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Discovering that there was actually a diet that would make is possible to put my type 2 diabetes in remission gave me so much hope and determination. I followed the diet and was officially in remission long before my 6 week appointment with the doctor. Forum members here supported me every step of the way by answering my questions. Two years later, I'm still in remission. If I can do it, anyone can.

My journey began with hypoglycemia in my 20's, gestational diabetes in my mid-20's pre-diabetes in my early 40's, type 2 diabetes in mid-40's, and re-diagnosis of type 2 diabetes in my early 50's. I am severely insulin resistant. Had a glucose level of 232 mg/dl (12.9 mmol/l) last night due to eating a muffin of all things, but I knew what to do. I went for a 2 mile brisk walk and knocked it down to 141 mg/dl (7.9 mmol/l) by the time I got home. Next morning glucose level was 108 mg/dl (6 mmol/l).

I've never had to take medication or inject insulin. It's all done with low carbohydrate high diet and the low carbohydrate ketogenic diet, and in my case, walking.

When you're ready, you can learn more about the low carbohydrate diet here... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

We also have two forums here where you can ask questions...

Low-carb Diet Forum... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

And if you're vegetarian, we have a Vegetarian Diet Forum... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

Lots of forums here to explore. Post where you feel most comfortable. Lots of kind, caring people here. You're among friends. :)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Rosiegough_

Getting the Diagnosis is difficult but the good news is that gaining control and making improvements is not impossible and the 100's of new forum members who achieve that each year are testament.

For me the keys were removing as many obvious Carbohydrates (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and anything containing sugar) from my diet immediately and then the weight loss that came with that diet change.

Doing this should make a rapid improvement to your levels, and when you get that control you can start to think about how you can then continue from a position of strength.

Good luck.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and consider registering for The Diabetes Summit. It's starting now. You'll learn lots there. Each day you'll have the opportunity to listen to 4-5 interviews a day. See information in my signature line below this post. :)

Reactions: Ultramum

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Rosiegough_

Hello Rosie and welcome to the Forum :) Here, as mentioned above, is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Reactions: Rosiegough_

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Last edited:
Reactions: Rosiegough_

Rikiba

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi Rosie.
Your post rings very true for me. I also have depression and anxiety which was well managed, but recently being told I have diabetes (most probably lada apparently) has made it way more difficult to manage that. The wealth of information available about diabetes is not necessarily making it easier either, as there's just too much to take in right now.

Having said that though, if you've managed depression and anxiety before, you know what to expect and what you're capable of combating and conquering. I know that my mood is going to be low until I get a handle on all this, but I can also deal with that effectively knowing how I've done it in the past. I know it sounds a bit cheesy but i really think theres a lot of strength gained from really understanding your own weaknesses.

I hope you think the same way, and it seems that this site will be great for helping us both along to being experts in our own bodies.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Welcome @Rosiegough_ :)

I found my way here two years ago, within a few days of being re-diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Discovering that there was actually a diet that would make is possible to put my type 2 diabetes in remission gave me so much hope and determination. I followed the diet and was officially in remission long before my 6 week appointment with the doctor. Forum members here supported me every step of the way by answering my questions. Two years later, I'm still in remission. If I can do it, anyone can.

My journey began with hypoglycemia in my 20's, gestational diabetes in my mid-20's pre-diabetes in my early 40's, type 2 diabetes in mid-40's, and re-diagnosis of type 2 diabetes in my early 50's. I am severely insulin resistant. Had a glucose level of 232 mg/dl (12.9 mmol/l) last night due to eating a muffin of all things, but I knew what to do. I went for a 2 mile brisk walk and knocked it down to 141 mg/dl (7.9 mmol/l) by the time I got home. Next morning glucose level was 108 mg/dl (6 mmol/l).

I've never had to take medication or inject insulin. It's all done with low carbohydrate high diet and the low carbohydrate ketogenic diet, and in my case, walking.

When you're ready, you can learn more about the low carbohydrate diet here... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

We also have two forums here where you can ask questions...

Low-carb Diet Forum... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

And if you're vegetarian, we have a Vegetarian Diet Forum... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/

Lots of forums here to explore. Post where you feel most comfortable. Lots of kind, caring people here. You're among friends. :)
So you still check your blood every day?

Reactions: ickihun

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Rosie.
Your post rings very true for me. I also have depression and anxiety which was well managed, but recently being told I have diabetes (most probably lada apparently) has made it way more difficult to manage that. The wealth of information available about diabetes is not necessarily making it easier either, as there's just too much to take in right now.

Having said that though, if you've managed depression and anxiety before, you know what to expect and what you're capable of combating and conquering. I know that my mood is going to be low until I get a handle on all this, but I can also deal with that effectively knowing how I've done it in the past. I know it sounds a bit cheesy but i really think theres a lot of strength gained from really understanding your own weaknesses.

I hope you think the same way, and it seems that this site will be great for helping us both along to being experts in our own bodies.
Thankyou, I'm just so down
hi
Last Thursday I found out from my Hb1ac blood test (54/56) I have diabetes. I spoke to the dr on the phone and asked him for the numbers. I have a 20 minute app this Thursday (the earliest they could do). It was a bit scary and over the last few days I have felt more and more anxious (sick and horrible in tummy and sweaty)and thinking morbid thoughts(I suffer with bouts of depression/anxiousness over many years but well controlled and under active thyroid for about 5yrs) since that short time I've stopped sugary drinks which I drank loads of and pure fruit juice. I've thought of what I'm eating but I am totally confused with online advice. I love and ate bananas, raspberries, plums etc I eat very few if any puddings,sweets or chocolate. I love crisps but since last thurs have been too scared to eat. It's all so frightening and scary. By the way I only went for a smear test with the nurse when she weighed me (16 st) and suggests I have blood tests etc Please I need some kind of positive advice.
I am 57 very very happily married with 2 daughters xx
Thankyou
I'll just try tagging @daisy1 to get the information sheet.
Honestly - I am enjoying diabetes - except that my numbers are now almost normal, I have a meter to test my blood glucose and I can eat berries or melon along with salads and low starch vegetables - I put cream in my coffee - I hope that I'll be able to eat a few more things in future, but so far I have not had to try very hard to get really excellent results.
Thankyou

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Rosie.

At the moment I feel it's the end of the world, my tummy in knots. You're are right though, it's just when you feel like this you think will the very /anxious/low feelings go away this time.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you still check your blood every day?

Yes. Without testing, I'd have no way of knowing if my glucose levels are higher than normal. With that information, I can go for a walk, delay having my next meal, or eat less protein and carbs at my next meal. I find testing very empowering. :)

The Diabetes Summit started today. I hope you'll consider attending. It's free, and only happens once a year. You'll have to register first - (click on link in my signature line below) - then wait for an email from Dr. Brian Mowll with a clickable link to today's interviews.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely - check your blood glucose levels so you can see where you are in the great scheme of things - should your snack be celery and cream cheese or berries and cream - or should you be out getting fresh air and exercise.
Knowledge is power - if you know your blood glucose you are able to act on that information.
Far from being the end of the world it could be the start of a whole new life, one in which you have a very good reason for being a bit selfish, looking after your interests and gaining more energy, clarity of mind and feeling very much at ease with your situation.
As soon as you get your blood glucose into the normal range you should feel a lot better - that could be just days away if you concentrate on your diet.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the very large world of diabetics. First don't panic. Your blood sugar reading (HBa1C) isn't too bad. I'm sure you will find as you reduce the carbs your BS and weight will gradually go down and there are meds such as Metformin which can help a bit. With the right low-carb diet you may well be able to stay ina good BS range without any meds.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A spot of meditation and a tiny amount of patchouli oil might help with the anxiety.
Possibly - it can do no harm to give it a try.

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm so scared to eat. At the moment I'm so upset I'm forcing myself to eat, can I have a banana? Yesterday I managed a banana,rice cake, a bit of bacon and 2 eggs which I struggled to get down. Please help

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a slow condition . It is not going to kill you tomorrow. Start slowly by not eating sweet things such as cake biscuits sugar. Cut down on potatos , pasta bread. Then slowly start shopping.
Check if there is any hidden added sugar in things.
Stir fry is good. Meat and veg skip the spuds. Bacon eggs mushrooms eggs are great. Full fat yoghurt and a few berries.
There are whole load of recipe ideas on this forum. Try the blood sugar diet recipe book fronted by Michael Moseley
You need to see what carbs you can tolerate. Before making too many choices. But do not panic.

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Checking your post you need to think about blood glucose testing. Your dr will say you don't need to but if you want to find out what upsets you it is the only way. I started in January because I cannot take metformin. I can eat some porridge, some potato and brown rice. Cous cous is awful. If I eat berries will double cream I do not spike. Banana with double cream the same.
After a while you work out what you can eat.
I have also started low carb high fat and have pushed my Hba1c down from 53 to 47 in two months. Also lost 10lbs eating cream butter, eggs, avocado, bacon sausages etc.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm so scared to eat. At the moment I'm so upset I'm forcing myself to eat, can I have a banana? Yesterday I managed a banana,rice cake, a bit of bacon and 2 eggs which I struggled to get down. Please help
Make yourself a lovely omelette. Later have some fish or meat with vegtables, not potato or swede. Or a vegtable stir'fry with british not chinese veg for now. Experiment more later. Season to your taste.
Avoid banana or fruits except berries. But not too many.
I hope this helps til you read more in our diet area.