• Start Date

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well, I been helping Nicola in past few days. She is doing so **** fantastically brilliant!! Some of the high's may be due to potato products and we still got to sort....

Honest, in 4 days this girl has done superbly. I am so proud of her. Really proud.

nicola is making huge strides to undesrtanding her pump and levels etc, but I so wishe her dsn had done so before. The NHS should be ashmaed of themselves for Nicola's instructions and help... It has taken me very little time to help her and a dsn should have been able to the same, or better!!!!

Keep going Nicola, today has been full of whoooo hoooo's!!!!
X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I been helping Nicola in past few days. She is doing so **** fantastically brilliant!! Some of the high's may be due to potato products and we still got to sort....

Honest, in 4 days this girl has done superbly. I am so proud of her. Really proud.

nicola is making huge strides to undesrtanding her pump and levels etc, but I so wishe her dsn had done so before. The NHS should be ashmaed of themselves for Nicola's instructions and help... It has taken me very little time to help her and a dsn should have been able to the same, or better!!!!

Keep going Nicola, today has been full of whoooo hoooo's!!!!
X

Hey :) .
Nicola has mentioned you a few times in her posts she has replied to me with . And I think you have been amazing with how much you have helped her out . I've seen your ( Nicola ) bm readings lately has been amazing ! You must be so proud of yourself Nicola .
And you donnellysdogs for helping Nicola with all the great advice you have given .
I agree with what I have just read regarding the nhs it's disgusting . How no knowledge was passed along !!

You two seem to make a brilliant team keep at it :):):)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hey :) .
Nicola has mentioned you a few times in her posts she has replied to me with . And I think you have been amazing with how much you have helped her out . I've seen your ( Nicola ) bm readings lately has been amazing ! You must be so proud of yourself Nicola .
And you donnellysdogs for helping Nicola with all the great advice you have given .
I agree with what I have just read regarding the nhs it's disgusting . How no knowledge was passed along !!

You two seem to make a brilliant team keep at it :):):)

This is down to Nicola, she has done the hard work... I am so very proud of her for her constant testing and changing.

Nicola, I am appalled at the basic menu that you were left set up with and the lack of instruction. You amaze me with your learning and perseverance. I am very, very proud of you for this and your being so adaptable.

To everybody else reading this.... Pumps aren't an easy option if you are neglected by your nhs team. I had superb help from iHs on a daily basis 4 years ago and eternally grateful for that. Truly.
If you can get daily help,, even by email or phone you can get much better levels quicker on a pump than being left tostruggle by the nhs staff.

Well done Nicola. You are a great, quick learner. I am so very proud of you. For a young lady, (and you have made me chuckle constantly...) I have never been prouder of a young lady being so capable, and so easy to give instructions to.

Well done..and finally Chloe, thankyou, but the improvements have been down to Nicola....she has learnt so much and is an absolute pleasure to advise.

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I'm mad at nhs really...N has been so brilliant, why the heck couldn't they do the same?

D

Deleted member 83869

This is down to Nicola, she has done the hard work... I am so very proud of her for her constant testing and changing.

Nicola, I am appalled at the basic menu that you were left set up with and the lack of instruction. You amaze me with your learning and perseverance. I am very, very proud of you for this and your being so adaptable.

To everybody else reading this.... Pumps aren't an easy option if you are neglected by your nhs team. I had superb help from iHs on a daily basis 4 years ago and eternally grateful for that. Truly.
If you can get daily help,, even by email or phone you can get much better levels quicker on a pump than being left tostruggle by the nhs staff.

Well done Nicola. You are a great, quick learner. I am so very proud of you. For a young lady, (and you have made me chuckle constantly...) I have never been prouder of a young lady being so capable, and so easy to give instructions to.

Well done..and finally Chloe, thankyou, but the improvements have been down to Nicola....she has learnt so much and is an absolute pleasure to advise.

It all went a bit pair shaped last night! When I was 3.3 before dinner and had pizza but didn't bolus so went high pretty much most of the night :( But I know for next time to actually bolus!! Am 5.2 now so all is good....for now!

Thank you both though!!! :D xx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It all went a bit pair shaped last night! When I was 3.3 before dinner and had pizza but didn't bolus so went high pretty much most of the night :( But I know for next time to actually bolus!! Am 5.2 now so all is good....for now!

Thank you both though!!! :D xx
Your going to have your ups and downs with it as diabetes can change all the time . We all have so much to learn even when you think you've mastered it . Brilliant reading now though . Like I said before my time of the month is a blooming pain , so I can't get mine right at the moment changing everything to try and get it to work . Then will change again next week just as I've got it right . :banghead:
I shall keep you updated later on with how my bms go today . And you hehe :) .
I've got an appointment with the dietician later so shall see how that goes :p
It is hard but try not to worry you will have blips with your readings but you've done the right thing has your a 5 now . Look at it as you've learnt something new , not that you done something wrong . :):):)

D

Deleted member 83869

Your going to have your ups and downs with it as diabetes can change all the time . We all have so much to learn even when you think you've mastered it . Brilliant reading now though . Like I said before my time of the month is a blooming pain , so I can't get mine right at the moment changing everything to try and get it to work . Then will change again next week just as I've got it right . :banghead:
I shall keep you updated later on with how my bms go today . And you hehe :) .
I've got an appointment with the dietician later so shall see how that goes :p
It is hard but try not to worry you will have blips with your readings but you've done the right thing has your a 5 now . Look at it as you've learnt something new , not that you done something wrong . :):):)

I never thought of it that way! Thank you :) but yes that is true! I guess it will never be perfect all the time for one person!

And oooo good luck :) You can message me instead if you like! instead of commenting on this post aha!

I am hoping my levels are more stable again today haha! Currently have a really bad belly ache though after eating only 4 squares of chocolate :( xx

iHs

Nicola

I really am not sure as to why youve been given a pump in the first place. Most people who get pumps do get some guidance if they need it through a pump trained dsn. There are loads of info now about pumps and how to use them on the web and through buying the pumping insulin book. Some of it is common sense as my consultant said...its only an insulin delivering device. If you had phoned Accu chek about yr problem with bg etc, they would have contacted yr dsn who then would have been obligated to contact you and sorted out yr problems.

Look after yrself and be independent. Dont rely on other people, rely on yrself and read the Accu chek Combo manuals.......its all there....youve just got to wade through it and use common sense.

As a very very general guide.(this works okish for me)......basal rate sdjustments will be 0.10u will alter bg levels by about 1mmol on the Combo so dont get confused with the decimal point as some pumps work differently. You may only need to alter yr basals by 0.07 to make bg change by 1mmol but then again, you may need more. Everyone is different so do plenty of bg tests and use trial and error to sort yourself out.

D

Deleted member 83869

Nicola

I really am not sure as to why youve been given a pump in the first place. Most people who get pumps do get some guidance if they need it through a pump trained dsn. There are loads of info now about pumps and how to use them on the web and through buying the pumping insulin book. Some of it is common sense as my consultant said...its only an insulin delivering device. If you had phoned Accu chek about yr problem with bg etc, they would have contacted yr dsn who then would have been obligated to contact you and sorted out yr problems.

Look after yrself and be independent. Dont rely on other people, rely on yrself and read the Accu chek Combo manuals.......its all there....youve just got to wade through it and use common sense.

As a very very general guide.(this works okish for me)......basal rate sdjustments will be 0.10u will alter bg levels by about 1mmol on the Combo so dont get confused with the decimal point as some pumps work differently. You may only need to alter yr basals by 0.07 to make bg change by 1mmol but then again, you may need more. Everyone is different so do plenty of bg tests and use trial and error to sort yourself out.

They was helpful at first! And so was the roche guy but now once they thought/think I was settled they haven't bothered anymore! and it is so hard to get through to them in the first place!

Have changed basal's alot over the past few days so will see what happens

iHs

All it is is an 0800 phone call. They have always answered my calls within a min or so and a pump trained nurse at accu chek has helped me in the past when I wasnt sure about anything.
Although pumps are good, you cant just eat whatever and whenever you want. You have to bg test, work out the carb content as best you can, and not over load the carb eating as the more carb, the more insulin and the more shakey it can become with unstable bg levels.
I dont like to say this but if you feel that yr hospital is not helping you, its because you are not trying to help yrself with the food you are eating. All that will happen....is that you will slowly develop complications over time....like retinopathy etc

D

Deleted member 83869

All it is is an 0800 phone call. They have always answered my calls within a min or so and a pump trained nurse at accu chek has helped me in the past when I wasnt sure about anything.
Although pumps are good, you cant just eat whatever and whenever you want. You have to bg test, work out the carb content as best you can, and not over load the carb eating as the more carb, the more insulin and the more shakey it can become with unstable bg levels.
I dont like to say this but if you feel that yr hospital is not helping you, its because you are not trying to help yrself with the food you are eating. All that will happen....is that you will slowly develop complications over time....like retinopathy etc

What was the point in me going on DAFNE then? I was told I can eat what I like when I like...hence the name Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating :S

iHs

Lots of doctors are now critising the teachings of Dafne. Within reason you can eat what you want but some foods are more trouble for diabetics so are best left alone or only eaten on special occasions like weddings, birthdays etc.

iHs

What else? Do you need a pkt of crisps? What breakfast do you eat? Do you count the carb in everything or just guess it. What do you eat when you get home from work? Can you cook and use a gas stove or hob or use a slow cooker to put some meat and veg in it before going to work?

D

Deleted member 83869

What else? Do you need a pkt of crisps? What breakfast do you eat? Do you count the carb in everything or just guess it. What do you eat when you get home from work? Can you cook and use a gas stove or hob or use a slow cooker to put some meat and veg in it before going to work?

Usually porridge and yes I look at all the packets! And I eat whatever is cooked by parents! And no because I don't live alone or I would do that

iHs

Although I eat porridge sometimes, I combine it 50 50 with some crushed up almonds to reduce the carb content effect on bg and it tastes nice. Normal porridge tends to make bg go up too much so if I havent got almond porridge, I just eat 1 slice of toast or do myself some bacon, egg, tomatoes and that is nice and gives a good start to the day.

If you eat at parents try to be a bit more selective. Get yrself a slow cooker......they are great for people like yrself