Improved numbers after pregnancy

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I hope you are all well, and benefitting from the forum just as I do. I wanted to share what is probably a different kind of success story - but also ask, whether anyone has experienced anything similar, or has an explanation :writer:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in Summer 2015 and went low carb straight after diagnosis. This was long before I fell pregnant in Fall 2019. My pregnancy went mostly normal, except for high blood pressure at times, and I was monitored a lot. I declined an early induction, but went for one at 40 weeks + 5 days, then gave birth to a healthy little girl 2 days later. I healed quickly and started breastfeeding - which I still do now that she is 2 years old :)

So, what is my success story in this post? I have lost weight - I am about 6-7 kilograms lighter than before pregnancy. I used to get swollen ankles before and during pregnancy - but not after. My last HbA1c was 34 - a value I had previously only achieved with 2 24-hour fasts each week! My blood lipids are also better.

I am doing less systematic exercise - mostly just caring for / running after my toddler and cycling to work twice a week (I used to cycle up to 8 hours a week). I stopped intermittent fasting and have a snack most days. I am not counting carbs, but do live fairly low carb, I think I eat less fat. I eat a lot though, and I tend to be very hungry!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Munkki
Good success story!
I think you must be getting plenty of exercise running after the toddler.
Also, breastfeeding, and eating less fat could be a reason for feeling hungry.

Reactions: Munkki