In praise of Scotch Eggs.

Male1960T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As we all know, treats and cheats come at a price.
As a carb addict, sailing past the bakery Isle with my nose in the air has become a personal habit in supermarkets.
All those treats and snacks have been ruthlessly purged from the cupboards in the house and are no longer available.
But still an occasional treat would be nice, but pastry is definitely off the menu.
It's a difficult problem.
Then it occurred to me.
I eat sausage, I eat eggs, so I decided to try scotch egg.
With homemade mayo essentially eggs and olive oil, I wondered what this would do to my glucose level.
The effect was rather minimal, no spike at all.
After crossing so much off the menu, it's nice to have something I feel can fill that snack treat need, especially if on the move.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Lucky you, I would note the brand of scotch egg for future treats if that particular one is ok for you.
Just as a note of caution I would test the same eggs a couple of more times before putting them on your allowed list.
I'm green with envy, I've never yet found one my meter liked, I have tried making my own with high meat % sausages and crushed pork scratchings as a coating, they were delicious, and My meter approved, but too much faffing about for my liking so I just go without.

Male1960T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect the homemade mayo helps.
Eggs, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, salt and good quality olive oil.
I think the acid helps and the oil slows absorption and reduces the spike.
But I'm guessing and just experimenting with my new CGM, it's great to have immediate feedback.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d echo @catinahat Different meat %, fillers, and the coatings could all varying considerably. Check the labels and double check your response. But great news if it really is an option for you.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eggs alone cooked any way you like them are diabetic friendly and home-made mayonnaise should be fine, but the sausage meat will contain a varying percentage of oats or other carbohydrate filler as a binding agent or meat extender and the breadcrumbs on the outside increases the carb content further.

Depending on the brand, that adds up to an estimated 20g of carbohydrate per scotch egg, which is the total daily carb intake. for many type 2s!

Reactions: HSSS

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I use to make my own but instead of sausage meat I used Stonaway black pudding to encase them mmmmm yummy

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
As we all know, treats and cheats come at a price.
As a carb addict, sailing past the bakery Isle with my nose in the air has become a personal habit in supermarkets.
All those treats and snacks have been ruthlessly purged from the cupboards in the house and are no longer available.
But still an occasional treat would be nice, but pastry is definitely off the menu.
It's a difficult problem.
Then it occurred to me.
With homemade mayo essentially eggs and olive oil, I wondered what this would do to my glucose level.
The effect was rather minimal, no spike at all.
After crossing so much off the menu, it's nice to have something I feel can fill that snack treat need, especially if on the move.

Occasional I make scotch egg. I do them in an air fryer and use ground pork scratching as a coating.

Sadly shop bought ones spike me

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect the homemade mayo helps.
For those of us who can't face the faff, I heartily recommend the Hunter Gather brand of mayo. The one based wholly on olive oil has zero carbs per 100g and the one based wholly on avocado oil (Avocado Oil (81%), Pasteurised British Free Range Egg Yolk (9%), Apple Cider Vinegar, Pink Himalayan Salt) has <0.5 carbs per 100g. They are both delicious, but the flavours are delicate. The olive oil version has perhaps a slightly stronger taste.

I am a great reader of labels, and I have been disgusted to find that almost all shop mayos that claim olive oil are in fact mainly composed of rapeseed oil or etc, with perhaps 15% olive added.

Hunter Gather jars of mayo are not cheap, but given that they claim to put 12 avocados in every jar, you could consider them a bargain.

• Useful
Reactions: Outlier

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having been disappointed in the not very tasty lowest carb sausages I could find: (Finnebrogue Naked Pork Sausages @ £9.38 per kg 0.2g carbs) I discovered I much prefer Waitrose's Essential British Pork Mince 8% Fat @ £5.50 per kg. 0g carbs. My lazy cook's strategy would be to fry little patties of the pork mince and simply put on my plate next to the hard-boiled eggs. My problem however is that I experience boiling eggs as a high risk, bothersome business. Easier to fry the pork patties and then fry the eggs in the same fat. No longer visually Scotch eggs, but ...

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Having been disappointed in the not very tasty lowest carb sausages I could find: (Finnebrogue Naked Pork Sausages @ £9.38 per kg 0.2g carbs) I discovered I much prefer Waitrose's Essential British Pork Mince 8% Fat @ £5.50 per kg. 0g carbs. My lazy cook's strategy would be to fry little patties of the pork mince and simply put on my plate next to the hard-boiled eggs. My problem however is that I experience boiling eggs as a high risk, bothersome business. Easier to fry the pork patties and then fry the eggs in the same fat. No longer visually Scotch eggs, but ...
Have you tried Black Farmer sausages, they are the only ones I can tolerate without spiking my bg

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I live in Scotland so Stornaway black pudding is readily available in most butchers, personally I get mine from Costco.
I don’t eat any other black pudding other than Stonaway it’s also available direct from the maker via mail order , direct from Stornaway .

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried Black Farmer sausages
Thanks, but I don't see the point of eating sausages that give me 1g carb per 100g when I can eat pork mince with 0gc. It's easier to cook, too. I love the idea of sausages, but the reality imo doesn't live up to the fantasy. Same goes with bacon. Pork mince fried in lard plus lots of salt could be almost the same, but without the added sugar in bacon.

Male1960T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I find it easier to make a mayo or a Hollandaise Sauce with my trusty immersion type blender, it literally takes 2 mins, a bit longer with the melted butter and done in a mug there's no washing up, the mug does in the fridge.
But I really appreciate the product suggestions it's very helpful
I'm making a list.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t eat any other black pudding other than Stonaway
I checked, and Stornaway black pudding contains 20.5gc per 100g. Sadly, that would more than use up my carb allowance for a whole day. I would like to eat black pudding, but I have never been able to find one that fits in to my carb plan.