Inadvertent fasting

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't, in the normal way of life, have the moral fibre for long fasting. Therefore I go with IF fasting and eat within a 6 hour window.

I am just getting over a virus - short, sharp and nasty - where I have not eaten at all for four days. Today I thought I'd test my BG to see if anything had changed. 5.2. That's nice, but my last test before I became ill was also 5.2.

It just shows, doesn't it. Not sure what it just shows, but interesting.

Tonight I shall have a small meal of scrambled eggs and bacon.

Sorry for mis-spelling of title. Don't know how to change it.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't, in the normal way of life, have the moral fibre for long fasting. Therefore I go with IF fasting and eat within a 6 hour window.

I am just getting over a virus - short, sharp and nasty - where I have not eaten at all for four days. Today I thought I'd test my BG to see if anything had changed. 5.2. That's nice, but my last test before I became ill was also 5.2.

It just shows, doesn't it. Not sure what it just shows, but interesting.

Tonight I shall have a small meal of scrambled eggs and bacon.

Edit to add presume you are commenting because you expected lack of food to have lowered your bgs even more than the healthy results you are achieving through your intermittent fasting?
It may well be the virus itself that has kept your blood glucose at that level - it’s quite common for body to produce more glucose to fight infections as it is when stressed so without the infection your bgs may have been lower after fasting - although some people don’t lower after long fasts as body can perceive it as stressful . Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I took the freedom to do it for you, hope that's OK!

Today I thought I'd test my BG to see if anything had changed. 5.2. That's nice, but my last test before I became ill was also 5.2.
Isn't that a completely normal fasting BG? I guess it mainly shows your body is capable of maintaining healthy BG without food and even while being under the weather.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Greetings @Outlier.

I've been researching and writing about this 'stuff' quite intensely lately, so I thought I would pop in here and give you my 2 cents worth -

fasting, anything to do with eating, apetite/hunger/not eating - has nothing to do with morality, or moral fiber!
We would be a mighty odd mammal indeed if we found fasting easy. :)

I too have been 'window of eating' IFing, and I too find it easier, and has some other metabolic benefits that I wasn't expecting. I'm doing a 'sunrise to sunset' window, which I heard my new dietish-doctor hero online, Dr Boz, suggest. I like the simplicity of looking out the window to see the sun rise and the sun set, and organise my first meal and my last around that. (It's currently the day before winter solistice - the shortest day - here in Aotearoa - so having got up at 5am, having to wait till 7.30 to eat made me feel more than a bit antsy). (And please know - I really do understand that this sunrise to sunset/circadian rhythm thing works well for me at this lattitude on our globe, but would be a disaster at lattitudes closer to the arctic or antartic! My second country is Sweden... a lot of laughs around the idea of trying that one in Sweden...)

Hope you feel much better and over that virus Outlier! (And I have nothing but admiration over the gorgeous FBGs...even when you are fighting off a virus.) (nothing to do with morality - mind! But great for you and your health nonetheless.)

Anyway - talking about stressors - apparently part of us getting better with a metabolic disease is about our bodies dealing with - stressors! Our cells and regulatory system being stressed. And this is a good thing, and contributes to metabolic flexibility. (Drawing on Prof D'Ogostino's work here.) Metformin itself is a stressor. And as know - can have great benefits for helping us with our metabolic derangement. (I am currently benefiting from metformin.)
The word for it is 'hormesis', and yes, a new one on me. But makes sense of the fact that all these things that really help us - exercise, fasting, flipping over to running on ketones, getting some of our fat out of storage, especially if it's in our liver and pancreas - and burning that up - these are stressors. (Oh yes - and of course - medications.) But neat to know its essentially good stress, in the right dose.

As we know all too well, infections are different. We can live or die by how well our bodies can deal with that ghastly stress. Fight the good fight y'all!

Reactions: hankjam and jjraak