Include country in user posts?

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might it be possibly to include the users country in addition to diabetes type and treatment? It would offer much needed context when replying.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I would tend to agree, but people do have the option to include their country in their profile. Presumably some people would prefer not to share their location?

Or do you mean that it would be a good idea to show it without people needing to look at profiles?
1710803739934.png

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
And my country shows up because I have it under "location" in my profile.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Might it be possibly to include the users country in addition to diabetes type and treatment? It would offer much needed context when replying.
If you click/tap a member's username you'll see their full profile info, including country if they choose to share.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you click/tap a member's username you'll see their full profile info, including country if they choose to share.
Some members don’t even allow viewing of their full profile, which is of course their choice.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77 and Pipp

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it should show on every post - on the left under your name. If they don't choose to share, then it won't be in their profile and not included. If they do choose to share in their profile, then I presume they would not mind it showing on every post. It just makes it easier when I respond to someone to understand their context based on where they live and I can respond accordingly. Like not suggesting they go to ASDA :p . Sure I could click through on every profile to see where they are first - but what a PITA :). This forum is in a .co.uk domain - so one might assume that everyone is UK based, but I see we have a fair few non-UK users so it is quite an international forum. This is really fantastic as it gives a global view of how people deal with diabetes worldwide.

At the same time, someone may read a post (most forums have more lurkers than posters), and think what they are reading is relevant to where they live (like an available drug or treatment), and it isn't because there is no location context unless explicitly said.

That's my view. FWIW, I've been using online bulletin boards & forums since the early 80's :)

1710835459260.png

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it should show on every post - on the left under your name. If they don't choose to share, then it won't be in their profile and not included.
It does for me, except for people who chose to not share their profile, like yourself.
I just checked if this info shows on a phone as well as on my computer, and it does:

1710852066899.png

Do you happen to use the forum app @aris ?
Most of us simply use our browser, whether on phone or on PC, I tried the app once and I didn't like it.

This is what happens if I click on your profile, so the only information we have about you is that you're a T2 on tablets:
1710852277151.png

It just makes it easier when I respond to someone to understand their context based on where they live and I can respond accordingly. Like not suggesting they go to ASDA :p
Ah, the buffalo butter!

Glad you didn't know I'm not in the UK, I'll be visiting your country in october, and buffalo butter is on my shopping list. ;)

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does for me, except for people who chose to not share their profile, like yourself.
I just checked if this info shows on a phone as well as on my computer, and it does:

View attachment 66810

Do you happen to use the forum app @aris ?
Most of us simply use our browser, whether on phone or on PC, I tried the app once and I didn't like it.

This is what happens if I click on your profile, so the only information we have about you is that you're a T2 on tablets:
View attachment 66811

Ah, the buffalo butter!

Glad you didn't know I'm not in the UK, I'll be visiting your country in october, and buffalo butter is on my shopping list. ;)
Your location isn't showing for me - and I can't think of a single user who i've seen location. I does show if I click on your name though. I've made my profile open now. Maybe you can see it because you have higher privs in the BBS being a 'retired moderator'? Maybe this is a configuration issue for lower privileged users.

1710868164177.png

When i'm in the NL I'm typically shopping for Hagelslag. Not for me any more though - but my kids loved it!

Last edited:
  • Friendly

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your location isn't showing for me - and I can't think of a single user who i've seen location.
That's interesting. Apparently the forum shows different for different people.
For what it's worth, I use Google Chrome as my browser on both phone and computer.

Haha, yes, hagelslag is a staple in most Dutch homes!

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's interesting. Apparently the forum shows different for different people.
For what it's worth, I use Google Chrome as my browser on both phone and computer.

Haha, yes, hagelslag is a staple in most Dutch homes!
Possibly something which needs attention of the forum @Administrator

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe you can see it because you have higher privs in the BBS being a 'retired moderator'? Maybe this is a configuration issue for lower privileged users.
Us retired mods can only see the same as regular members.

• Agree

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a regular member and I can’t see it.
I can’t see location under the avatar, I can only see it if I click to view the profile. I’m on an iPad via Safari
IMG_9095.png

• Informative

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest, I think including information on medication and type of diabetes is much more important than location, even though location can be relevant.
'Tablets' can be anything from mild metformin to hypo inducing medication or medication with a risk of euglyceamic DKA, and replies to questions will be vastly different depending on what medication is used.
With location missing, yes, you might occasionally share a tip on a product which turn out to be not available for someone, but with medication missing, risks are much larger.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest, I think including information on medication and type of diabetes is much more important than location, even though location can be relevant.
'Tablets' can be anything from mild metformin to hypo inducing medication or medication with a risk of euglyceamic DKA, and replies to questions will be vastly different depending on what medication is used.
With location missing, yes, you might occasionally share a tip on a product which turn out to be not available for someone, but with medication missing, risks are much larger.
I don’t think they are mutually exclusive. Put both. It isn’t just about medication - that is just one example. Including the country adds context to a written conversation - for example where to buy butter.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t think they are mutually exclusive. Put both. It isn’t just about medication - that is just one example. Including the country adds context to a written conversation - for example where to buy butter.
Where to buy butter (for example) doesn't hold health risks.
I'm quite puzzled why you think location is this important, but you choose not to share the medication you are on on a diabetes forum. It adds much more relevant context to my thinking.

• Agree
Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where to buy butter (for example) doesn't hold health risks.
I'm quite puzzled why you think location is this important, but you choose not to share the medication you are on on a diabetes forum. It adds much more relevant context to my thinking.
You beat me to it, I was just about to post the same thing. :)

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where am I meant to share my medication info?

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah ok, so type of diabetes, treatment type and country are required, but only two of those are shown in posts?

Im really not interested in an argument. If you don't think it is a good idea, then fine.