Increased insulin during illness

RichardFromHampshire

I have happily been using my pump for the last two and a half months. My control has been overall very good since starting with the pump and most of my BG readings are between 4 and 8 (including morning readings which had, for the last 2-3 years been a real issue for me when BGs would regularly be 15+ when i woke up).

My daily insulin dose thru the pump is approx 55 units during the wek rising to 65 units on weekends (combined basal + bolus).

Everything going swimingly. But! Sunday night I was a little high before bed (8.5 I think) but didn't think anything of it. I woke up during the night and tested my BGs which were at 14!! i took a correction dose and continued to monitor my BGs every hour and it was only following several further correction doses that my BGs came down to a reaonable 6.5.

Since Sunday night, my daily insulin has leapt to 85 units + per day (no change in what I'm eating) and I'm still going high at various points. I feel a little unwell - a feeling that I'm probably going down with a cold as the back of my throat is dry and I'm developing a minor cough. Nothing serious though, and I'm still going to work etc etc.

Oh, and I've changed the insertion set and made sure everything pump-wise is functioning properly - this isn't the problem.

Is this significantly increased insulin requirements usual even if I really don't feel that unwell? Other users' experiences would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Richard

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Richard,

I'm not a pump user, but illness does cause bg to increase. As you feel you are coming down with a cold, this may explain things, but hold tight hopefully some experienced pumpers will be along soon to offer some good advice.

Nigel

jopar

If you've checked out the pump side of things and these seem fine, and you feel unwell in your self this is the more likely cause of raised BG...

As you get to used to your pump, you may find every now and again you need to make adjustments to your profiles settings to keep everything in line... But that not unusual...

I find that my profiles tend to need a slight altering from summer to winter months, then back again and sometimes when something changes around you, new job even a change of work colleague could mean that you'll need to change your profiles to match..

One thing that pumping has taught me, any many subtle factors in our lifes actually do effect control, they are not always apparent with MDI but the pumps ability to fine tune shows them up

RichardFromHampshire

Thanks for the replies. I think it was an increase resulting from feeling unwell (although I didn't actually feel that unwell :wink: ).

It stopped yesterday lunchtime though - since then my insulin needs have returned to normal so 4 days of 60% increase are now over.

Richard