injecting

tiafrancis10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey i’m type 1 and i’ve been finding giving my injections are really painful and leave marks does anyone have tips or advice
and has anyone had problems with there eyes?

• Hug
Reactions: Juicyj

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @tiafrancis10 and welcome to the forums.

Are you newly diagnosed? I would have thought that your diabetic team (nurse?) should be able to give you tips on injection technique.

As for eyes, issues are common for newly diagnosed folk as their blood sugars return to normal but you should also be getting regular eye tests to check for diabetic issues.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@tiafrancis 10 what size of needle are you using? I'm asking this, as I was prescribed the wrong size needle when I was diagnosed, and injections were very painful. This changed when I was prescribed the then correct size.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @tiafrancis10

Needle size is important as Dancer has mentioned, also technique too, so pinch skin rather than jab, also is your insulin room temperature ?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey i’m type 1 and i’ve been finding giving my injections are really painful and leave marks does anyone have tips or advice
and has anyone had problems with there eyes?
Everyone else above has answered about the injecting side of things so I don’t think I need to add anything else to that.

In terms of problems with your eyes, it’s possible to have issues especially if you’ve gone from having very high sugars pre-diagnosis to now being more in range. Drastic changes in blood sugars can unfortunately affect the eyes (as it has done for me). If you’re not already I’d get your eyes checked, your hospital should be able to refer you to get them checked, you also may need them checked more regularly until things settle.

Reactions: tiafrancis10

tiafrancis10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tiafrancis 10 what size of needle are you using? I'm asking this, as I was prescribed the wrong size needle when I was diagnosed, and injections were very painful. This changed when I was prescribed the then correct size.

i’m using 4mm TriCare needles they are small but they still hurt

tiafrancis10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone else above has answered about the injecting side of things so I don’t think I need to add anything else to that.

In terms of problems with your eyes, it’s possible to have issues especially if you’ve gone from having very high sugars pre-diagnosis to now being more in range. Drastic changes in blood sugars can unfortunately affect the eyes (as it has done for me). If you’re not already I’d get your eyes checked, your hospital should be able to refer you to get them checked, you also may need them checked more regularly until things settle.

Thank you! that was really useful

tiafrancis10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @tiafrancis10 and welcome to the forums.

Are you newly diagnosed? I would have thought that your diabetic team (nurse?) should be able to give you tips on injection technique.

As for eyes, issues are common for newly diagnosed folk as their blood sugars return to normal but you should also be getting regular eye tests to check for diabetic issues.

i’ve been diabetic for about 10 years i haven’t had an easy journey a lot of ups and downs i’m starting to take care of my diabetes much more someone said to pinch the skin before injecting

Reactions: EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
i’ve been diabetic for about 10 years i haven’t had an easy journey a lot of ups and downs i’m starting to take care of my diabetes much more someone said to pinch the skin before injecting
You really don't want to know how bad my control was in my first ten years of T1 so I can definitely confirm that it's never too late to improve your control. Hopefully you have all the tech that can help that control, such as a blood glucose sensor, and your diabetic team are giving you help.