Injection Bruises

cym-mru

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all any tips on reducing injection site bruising? I inject a minimum of 4 times a day. I don’t always have a bruise but always seem to have a number of bruises in various degrees of recovery.

I’m sure it’s partly technique and part luck if I hit a capillary.

Diolch / thanks

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Which sites are you using? I find abdomen and side butt least prone to bruising, whereas front of thigh and upper arm often bruise for me (I can't always use the easy sites though, or I get hardening, so I try and at least reserve the more sensitive areas for the smaller doses).
Obviously changing needles every time and having good needles matters.
Also, are you happy with the needle length your using? Too long and you hit muscle too easily, too short and you don't get all the way through the dermis, which is also painful.
You can also adjust the pressure you use a bit depending on the fat thickness at the site you use.
I often roll the skin around a bit between my fingers when picking an exact spot, to gauge the thickness and make sure it's not at all sore or hard from previous injections.

I just calculated, and I've given myself in the region of 80,000 injections at this point. I feel I've got pretty good at it by now, and it's usually painless and problem free, but still can't avoid hitting the wrong spot and getting blood or bruising once in a while.

Reactions: cym-mru

SherwoodT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all any tips on reducing injection site bruising? I inject a minimum of 4 times a day. I don’t always have a bruise but always seem to have a number of bruises in various degrees of recovery.

Diolch / thanks
I had some issues with bruising. Still do, honestly. But, things improved with changing my technique.

When first diagnosed, I was told to pinch and inject. After putting on weight during my recovery, I continued to do this, and boy did my stomach look like I'd gone 9 rounds against Mike Tyson. My DSN advised I stop pinching my skin, made sure I was using needles more appropriate for me, and ensured I was injecting at 90 degrees into my target area. I'd have a chat with your dsn. They can advise and check your prescriptions etc.

Hope it improves for you!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I use to have lumps bumps and bruises , mainly down to me injecting the same site , rotation was definitely the key for me , i was told to use 4mm needles , which at the time I thought was mental , as thought I was guaranteed to get bumps and lumps , but many many years later unlike a pre natal ward I am bump free,

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!

Diolch / thanks
I wish I knew, I am always sporting around 5 or six small bruises. I had to stop using a pump because of huge bruises, (black that lasted weeks) I guess I just bruise easily, I never jab hard either. I'll follow this thread to see it will help me too.

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34

Brettskee

Check out the new iport pods just trialled them I think there brilliant it’s a little pod but like the libre sensor lasts fo 4 days so just 1 injection and you can inject into that as many times as you want without any discomfort you don’t really feel anything . You can’t get them on prescription yet will cost you around £35.00 a month much easier distributes insulin much better it’s great for multiple injections a day hope this helps