Injection

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello just a quick one.

Ive been injecting my lantus in stomach for 2 weeks. I decided to try my thigh. I followed same process but it looks like all the insulin came back out of my skin.

Do i just put this down to wrong technique and continue in stomach tomorrow? I only take 4 units. I gather its best not to re do the lantus and just do it tomorrow night, is that correct?

Cheers in advance

John

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's your error and if we have an error even midway we do it again, so I think you should do it again

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
but if it's midway we just do it up to the units the eror happened at. So redo your 4 units. Obviously I have not used lantus for years so someone else might have a better idea. But I tried to help. Just continue doing your Lantus in your stomach,

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello just a quick one.

Ive been injecting my lantus in stomach for 2 weeks. I decided to try my thigh. I followed same process but it looks like all the insulin came back out of my skin.

Do i just put this down to wrong technique and continue in stomach tomorrow? I only take 4 units. I gather its best not to re do the lantus and just do it tomorrow night, is that correct?

Cheers in advance

John

it might have looked like it came out of your skin after being injected into it but it could have been a crack. Just check your cartridge in case.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Jc3131 - normally, although you may see some insulin come back out of an injection site, it's usually a very small percentage, so you are better off not doing anything and monitoring your glucose levels then correcting with short acting insulin. Did you pinch up the skin on your leg prior to injecting? You can also try using your bum, which many of us find works well for basal insulin.

@nathanw777 - if you have an error part way through an insulin injection and you don't know how much has been injected it is best not to start again and do the whole lot, as this can result in too much insulin and the risk of a resultant serious hypo and that is the last thing anyone wants.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jc3131 - normally, although you may see some insulin come back out of an injection site, it's usually a very small percentage, so you are better off not doing anything and monitoring your glucose levels then correcting with short acting insulin. Did you pinch up the skin on your leg prior to injecting? You can also try using your bum, which many of us find works well for basal insulin.

@nathanw777 - if you have an error part way through an insulin injection and you don't know how much has been injected it is best not to start again and do the whole lot, as this can result in too much insulin and the risk of a resultant serious hypo and that is the last thing anyone wants.
That is what my mum did when it happened given me the 7 units, starting all over again when it's midway that something happens (Like if it gets stuck) my mum gives the remaining dose. That is if it's MIDWAY.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers.

It looked like most of it came out. More than normal. I only take lantus as my pancreas is still kicking out a bit insulin for now.

Ill just keep an eye on it.

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

but thanks

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jc3131 . Follow advice of @tim2000s. A missed or slightly failed basal injection isn't the end of the world, just monitor and take your next injection as and when.
Would definitely advise injecting in to bum if you can.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Jc3131 , my usual practice is to inject, leave the needle in place for about 10 seconds, then take it out.

Each injection involves pushing liquid into a (loosely speaking) confined area, so if you take the needle out immediately, the liquid is kinda still under pressure so will look for the obvious way out, which is straight back out through the space where the needle was. Keeping the needle in place for 10 seconds blocks that exit route, and lets the insulin disperse a bit so the pressure is reduced.

What came back out might have looked like a lot but we all occasionally get some unexpected drips. It's easy to over-estimate how much that it is, which can lead to the sort of guessing games you're having.

You're on 4u, so it might be worthwhile squirting 4u on to your hand to see what sort of volume that looks like and then comparing it to the sort of volume you saw coming back out.

My guess is that what you saw was nowhere near 4u, but because you're new to this, you maybe thought it was.

Also, are you sure the needle was all the way in? 4,5,6 mm needles are short, and there can sometimes be a tendency with newly dx'd to, well, let's be honest here, just skim the first 2mm or so in, instead of the full depth, so chances of it leaking back out are larger.

I'm not having a go at your injection technique, man, far from it, quite the opposite, just offering a few thoughts on the sort of smaller points you might have missed when your DSN was racing you into this brave new world!

Reactions: Jaylee and azure

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the info. It was the first time ive injected into my thigh. I nipped the skin and put needle in. My legs are quite firm and maybe i just didn't get my technique right. I left it in for 10 or so seconds, quite possible that it didn't go in as far as when i do it in my stomach.

I only tried it to give my stomach a rest. I know different areas absorb the insulin quicker but I gather the slow release insulin is not as important as the rapid one to get into your system quickly.