Insatiable hunger in the evenings

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Please YouTube Dr Jason Fung. he explains very clearly why IR (or high levels of insulin in our system) makes it very very difficult to lose weight. In plain english (well American but you know what I mean lol)

Reactions: lovinglife

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well, y'all, you know what I am here to say? I think so :D . All things metabolic relate to body type/phenotype stuff, and many folks who have gotten the type two are like me - "meant to be", if I can say that - lean and muscular. And this type, my type, can have kilos drop off us like flies in the Australian desert, 'just' on a major metabolic change - like a huge reduction in what I call excess carbs, and certainly - added sugar. Even in the presence of high levels of blood glucose, insulin, and therefore high IR. Even as a post menopausal woman.

Food, (and drink), when it comes to type two, and one's phenotype'/body type (called 'genes' in the lit!) is THAT important.

So says I. So I am lean and muscular again, but sadly for me, my IR seems here to stay. I had it for so long the damage to my cells must be very, can I say - resistant to the ultimate mprovement - complete remission. My cells are still rooted. But I do not have probs with my weight. Any longer. In the presence of higher levels of naturally produced insulin in the presence of higher than healthy (sadly - absolutely) levels of glucose in my blood, and one supposes in my tissues, in my cells etc etc. ie - type two diabetes.

Metabolic disease is that complex. Just saying.

Last edited:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@kazzyh65 - on the insatiable hunger in the evenings. I feel hunger very keenly (not uncommon!), so I relate.

I began an intermittent fasting regime which I have written up on in the 'Fasting' subforum - an eating window one where I five days out of seven (weekends off!) do a sunrise to sunset thing, and keep my food and calorific/energy providing drink in that time frame. I've been doing it for a year and a half now, so even when I went off metformin (which had an appetite suppressing effect on me), it has not been hard to continue with the sunrise to sunset - ie my body has been retrained.

The 'take away' from that being - one's appetire can indeed be retrained!

What happens to me is weeknights I am very low energy at night, as in - I go to sleep fairly early. I am training my sleep patterns now, due to a new job, so I sleep in two shifts (apparently a natural pattern for our species, dating back to no electricity and night-time lighting). This may or may not fit in with your life? All IF/fasting/eating window patterns must suit you and your life of course, or you couldn't maintain them, is how I see it. Which is where it is at when retraining your metabolism/eating and sleeping patterns/energy patterns.

Hope this has been some help?