Insomnia and type 2 diabetes

Drfarxan

Any one else who has trouble sleeping is thinking may be insomnia played a part on you developing T2D or insulin resistance ? I had trouble sleeping since i was in uni. Ofcoarse life style,genetics and high sugar drinks\foods caused it but maybe insomnia is a HUGE contributing factor too.

Anyone here who has insomnia and is type 2? or LADA or even type 1? cause maybe bad sleep also contributes to ottoimmune diseases

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hard dieting , or fasting, makes it hard for me to sleep, I take a melatonin and magnesium tab before bed, it helps

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hard dieting , or fasting, makes it hard for me to sleep, I take a melatonin and magnesium tab before bed, it helps
I never sleep. Only when it’s time to get up for work do I fall asleep. I’m going to try that thanks. X

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had insomnia for longer than I can remember, just been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and I’m having to wear a mask to sleep, so maybe I didn’t have insomnia at all, perhaps lots of people think they have insomnia but in fact have apnea, if I ever get used to the mask enough to sleep with, I guess I will know.

interesting how many health problems bad sleep can cause or worsen I’ve discovered, diabetes is high on the list but not sure it’s the cause, just is worsened it seems from what I’ve read.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Only when I'm not in Keto do I have sleep deprivation.
I don't miss the dreams either.

I also don't think it's the condition, I think it's a symptom of blood glucose dysfunction.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any one else who has trouble sleeping is thinking may be insomnia played a part on you developing T2D or insulin resistance ? I had trouble sleeping since i was in uni. Ofcoarse life style,genetics and high sugar drinks\foods caused it but maybe insomnia is a HUGE contributing factor too.

Anyone here who has insomnia and is type 2? or LADA or even type 1? cause maybe bad sleep also contributes to ottoimmune diseases
I've had apnea probably all my life. I'd never been that aware of it but there were consistent accounts of how much I snored. Diagnosed eventually in 2011 (maximum time actually asleep was about 90 seconds apparently) and have been using a CPAP since. I now sleep much better in general.

These days I do wake often from the dawn phenomenon adrenaline dump - vivid dreams, wake up soaked at first light. That seems to go in waves - I have a bad couple of weeks, then it goes away for a bit. The other T2 things that ruined sleep were severe neuropathy (burning feet) and the frozen shoulder thing. Burning feet no longer a problem but the frozen shoulder can be.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I've never had trouble sleeping until starting insulin and my sensor alarms when my blood sugars are low.

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My HBA1C at Christmas was unexpectedly high and I suspect that was something to do with a bout of insomnia I had for the few months before.

Drfarxan

Mhh interesting info,but what i meant was before being diagnosed with especially type 2 diabetes or LADA,did you have insomnia ? Long term insomnia
Insomnia increases insulin resistance,i want to find out how much of a factor it is.
Insomnia made me eat more sugar and move less. This might be a indirect effect. But maybe it had a DIRECT effect too especially for someone like me usually sleep 4 hrs per night 6 at best