insulin and testosterone replacement

kelvin45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liver
I am a 60 year old type 2 insulin dependant male. Following a recent cancer scare my testosterone was found to be 1.3 instead of the usual 8. I currently use Lantus and Apidra and my last Hb1ac was 7.2. I have now been placed on Testim 50mg Gel (testosterone replacement). The patient leaflet says that testim can affect blood sugars or insulin concentrations. Has anyone any experience of this medicine or does anyone have any advice as currently i'm having to test 4 times daily and beginning to feel like a pin cushion.

Thanks

Kelvin

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Kelvin,

Can't help with your Testim Gel query but when on a basal/bolus insulin regime you do have to test your bg levels quite frequently and 4 times a day would be the minimum.

Hopefully some others members will have some experience of using this drug. Good luck.

kelvin45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liver
thanks for the advice, up until taking the testim i'd only had to check blood pre meals, so my testing has increased slightly.

Kelvin

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Until you know what effect the Testim has on your bg levels I do think testing more is a good thing for the time being.