Insulin bumps

PeterBeggs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning i would like if anyone could explain to me the bump I get while taking my insulin in my stomach area is Dat a bad thing if so what can I do to prevent it happens while I am inserting the insulin and usually starts giving me a burning sensation after I pull out the needle a bump is there I would usually rub it for a few seconds then it will gradually fade away.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I occasionally get painful temporary bumps like that when an injection wasn't deep enough. You don't want it too deep or you hit muscle which is painful (and absorbed much quicker), but too shallow is also bad. It needs to reach the subcutaneous fat, and if the needle doesn't get all the way through the outer skin layer, it forces it apart in a painful way.
You might need a slightly longer needle.

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I should add lipohypertrophy is another thing to watch out for (harder fatty lumps that can develop over time from injecting a lot in the same spot). Injecting into these lumps can then cause problems.
That's more of a long term thing though, not something that fades away after rubbing, which made me think it's more likely to be the too shallow thing.

• Informative
Reactions: PeterBeggs and JAT1