Insulin change

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I've just had a call from my surgery to say that they will no longer be able to supply Novo Rapid insulin because of cost cuts and would be supplying me with I think she said Sannofi Rapid which is exactly the same insulin but cheaper so hopefully no problem , A bit disappointed though that the pens I have been using will have to be replaced with an inferior pen without the digital read out on the top but hey ho we all have got to cut costs I guess , she did say that because I now use the Libre 2 I would only get 4 boxes of blood test strips per year would others say that's about right ? I have not been on the Libre long enough to know how fewer times I will finger prick test .

Reactions: TG4567

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, disclaimer, I live in New Zealand and am on dexcom (self funded as NZ don't fund cgms for any diabetics yet).

Before I went on to dexcom I had and used 1 50 strip box per week, now I have script for 1 box per month, which works out about right for me.

I use strips when
1) checking against my cgm when hypo or (very) hyper
2) when I run out of sensors because of sensor failure
3) checking my sensor is accurate (and calibrating it)
4) checking in first 12 hours of a sensor when it tends to be inaccurate for me

I personally wouldn't find 1 box a quarter enough but I am using a G6 not a libre, and you can calibrate G6s.

But if NZ pharmac offered to fund my dexcom I would happily fund my own glucometer strips.

Reactions: oldgreymare

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
OK, disclaimer, I live in New Zealand and am on dexcom (self funded as NZ don't fund cgms for any diabetics yet).

Before I went on to dexcom I had and used 1 50 strip box per week, now I have script for 1 box per month, which works out about right for me.

I use strips when
1) checking against my cgm when hypo or (very) hyper
2) when I run out of sensors because of sensor failure
3) checking my sensor is accurate (and calibrating it)
4) checking in first 12 hours of a sensor when it tends to be inaccurate for me

I personally wouldn't find 1 box a quarter enough but I am using a G6 not a libre, and you can calibrate G6s.

But if NZ pharmac offered to fund my dexcom I would happily fund my own glucometer strips.
Thanks Ellie , hopefully 200 tests per year will work out fine , I was using 200 per months so that will be a saving for our NHS even with funding me with the Libre 2 .

Reactions: EllieM

TimLibre

I think i use around 1 or 2 strips a month as long as I have a Libre on. In cases where I dont trust the Libre reading. In my case the readings were less accurate on holidays when i was a lot in the sea, so i did some more testing there.

Other occasions I use more testing strips, are when the libre sensors are delayed by mail and I have no sensors left at home.

Regarding the insulin, i really dont like that such an inportant medicin is just changed to another without us having any say on it. So I was sceptical when my insurance did the obligatory change from novo insulins to Aspart and Abasaglar (even the pharmacie employees mix up the names). That was some years ago already, but have to say the new cheaper insulins are about the same as the novo ones for me.

Reactions: jaywak

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m of the same mindset of EllieM and would say 200 tests a year isn’t enough. Although I am on the Guardian 4 so can calibrate it and I test my blood sugar for the same reasons as EllieM. I’ve used 40 tests in the last 1.5 months so 50 per every 3 months is pushing it. You may find it is enough for you though, although if it isn’t I would definitely fight to get more on script.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I've just had a call from my surgery to say that they will no longer be able to supply Novo Rapid insulin because of cost cuts and would be supplying me with I think she said Sannofi Rapid which is exactly the same insulin but cheaper so hopefully no problem , A bit disappointed though that the pens I have been using will have to be replaced with an inferior pen without the digital read out on the top but hey ho we all have got to cut costs I guess , she did say that because I now use the Libre 2 I would only get 4 boxes of blood test strips per year would others say that's about right ? I have not been on the Libre long enough to know how fewer times I will finger prick test .
Hi @jaywak , it sounds like the NHS postcode lottery is still alive and well. Novorapid is still approved for T1 prescriptions under my county's NationalFormulary database (but our new Integrated Care System covers 3 counties and I believe the intent is to transition the system to one integrated formulary for all three in the future). At least for now my surgery will issue Novorapid on repeat prescription - pragmatically I don't think they will change this unless directed to do so by my Hospital Endocrinology team.

The current formulary includes this comment for Sanofi Lispro (Type 1 advice) -
**Please note Admelog® was previously called Insulin Lispro Sanofi®**

Biosimilar Admelog® is first line choice for NEW patients if insulin lispro is indicated. Existing patients should not be switched unless in line with an agreed protocol. All prescriptions should be written by brand name.

You may be able to challenge your surgery if you don't get on with the changed insulin. I self fund my own NovoPen Echos and would certainly not want to lose the digital readout functionality.

*Edited to say I've realised that it is Sanofi Trurapi that you have been prescribed - this is "aspart" insulin the same as Novorapid. Not listed under my local formulary, but will probably get included when it is updated.

Last edited:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also note @jaywak if you're under the care of an endocrinologist for your diabetes at your local hospital, you can get them to step in and they can tell the doctors surgery to put you back to Novorapid.

grahamrb

I haven’t written for some time but we are having trouble with the Nova Rapid Flex Pens, recently they are not working properly inasmuch as they stick and you are unable to inject the insulin.
Once or twice you can accept a faulty pen but it has now happened about 5 or 6 times over the last few weeks and it is getting very serious, lives could be lost!
Has anyone else had this problem?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I haven’t written for some time but we are having trouble with the Nova Rapid Flex Pens, recently they are not working properly inasmuch as they stick and you are unable to inject the insulin.
Once or twice you can accept a faulty pen but it has now happened about 5 or 6 times over the last few weeks and it is getting very serious, lives could be lost!
Has anyone else had this problem?
Nice to hear from you again @grahamrb .
Not using novorapid so can't answer your question, but could you get some old fashioned syringes for emergency use when you don't have a working pen. Alternatively, how about using a reusable insulin pen?

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't use a novo rapid Flexi pen for my Novo rapid as I use the cartridges as they are better and it doesn't stick and you get a full dose as I have used a pre-filled pen for my lantus and it had the same effect and that was to tie me over until I got the cartridges back within a week but they don't seem to work as the inside seems smaller than the plug and it doesn't want to go down so I am now using the cartridge as they are smooth inside and the plug goes down without any problems