Insulin has given me energy?!?!?!

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi am I weird here as I take 10-12 units of Lantus and max novorapid before meals is 3-4 units??
I was diagnosed as type 2 with initial sugars of 24mmol and hba1c of over 10%.
CTablets did nothing but insulin has given my body its energy back ?
Does that mean I didn’t have insulin resistance??
I feel nearly normal lol

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are your sugars like now?
I know high sugars make me very sluggish and I have much more energy when they are in target.
This is normal.

Have you been tested for Type 1? If you are finding low(ish) levels of insulin are helping when nothing else did, you may have been misdiagnosed and it is worth getting that corrected as, wrongly in my opinion, people with Type 1 get access to more technology.

Note that we cannot (and should not) diagnose on the forum - only a doctor can do that.

Reactions: oldgreymare

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My sugars now range between 6-10 but had started creeping up to 16. I had been using novorapid with Victoza but I asked if I could try a long lasting insulin when Victoza went out of stock.
I take 10 units of Lantus and a small amount of novorapid
And, ping I felt better straightaway. My doctor never wanted to test for type 1 and my diabetic nurse said I’m basically type 1 as I was using insulin. That bit, I know is not strictly true!

• Hug
Reactions: oldgreymare

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, do you know your carb to insulin ratio? 10 carbs to 1 unit for example?

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh another anecdotal thing, I used to get meal ‘sweats’ I which put down to menopause .. they’ve gone. I feel normal there too!
Whatever the reason is, I’m happy and glad I went on Lantus