Insulin or Byetta

Wkdmags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been told that I now need to go on Insulin or Byetta.. Not sure which way to go.not really overweight..not a big eater but really struggle to keep my levels down. Yes I eat carbs.. I don't eat Dairy and eat very little meat. My HBA1C this time was 59. Any one any idea which I should go for(yes I know I need to also change my diet)

sally_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on byetta about a year into being diagnosed with my diabites.. To me I felt it was better than insulin because it helps you loose weight most insulin so I've been told put on weight... It dose make your appetite small... I could only eat half the stuff I use to.. That may be a bad thing seen as tho you don't eat big anyway but I'd say give it a try if it dosent work I'm sure you can swop it but I found it got my levels down and my bloods was in the 20's when testing before I started that I got that and it went down to teens. But then it didn't make them go down anymore (I'm now on victoza same sort of injection because I wasn't on byetta long enough to let it work apparntly ) but it's sure worth a try

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You say you are not really overweight? Can you let us know your BMI as Byettta is usually offered to those who are overweight. Insulin is not ideal if you are overweight and Byetta can be better at least until excess weight comes down. How many carbs do you have per day? Controlling these is the highest priority

Wkdmags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. You say you are not really overweight? Can you let us know your BMI as Byettta is usually offered to those who are overweight. Insulin is not ideal if you are overweight and Byetta can be better at least until excess weight comes down. How many carbs do you have per day? Controlling these is the highest priority

Hi, My BMI is 23.3. Unfortunately my diet consists of mainly carbs..would not know how to start counting.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
23.3 is perfect around here, I'll swap you
you don't need to count, use a meter after your meal will tell you if it was ok, if you can get your BG down, it means at the least you are going to delay taking stronger meds
or just don't eat grain, rice.. grain product like bread, pasta..spuds..all sugars
there is so much left to eat, like bacon and eggs and still lose weight

it’s a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Most food packages show the total carbs in a certain weight. My DN gave m a Roche leaflet with pictures of plates of food and their carb count. I suspect Googling the web may offer similar?