Insulin pen needle length

helen louise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wasnt sure where to put this but just been put on insulin & had a prescription for 4mm needles but chemist only had 6mm will this make any difference?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wasnt sure where to put this but just been put on insulin & had a prescription for 4mm needles but chemist only had 6mm will this make any difference?

Did he dispense the 6mm needles or just give you that feedback, whilst he gets the 4mm ones in?

I'm not an insulin user, so can't comment much more than that.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The chemist must supply the right needle size and he should be able to get them within 24 hours. Don't accept the larger size as 4mm is now pretty well the standard and means less injecting pain. Go to another chemist if necessary and remember the chemist MUST dispense what is prescribed.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
My chemist did this to me. I complained. They got me the right needles the next day but I'd still had to use some of the longer ones in the meantime. I bruised more with the longer ones.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there

I use 4mm needles. The DSN did discuss this with me at the outset as I had problems with insulin leaking ba

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I've been using 5mm ever since diagnosis 15ish years ago, never had a problem with them despite being what some would call just skin and bones.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I've been on 4mm needles for a long time now. I find 6mm needles cause bruising and can be a bit painful (I am a wuss mind).
Can still remember when 1st diagnosed, 46 years ago, the needles as long and as blunt as a darning needle. 4mm needles I can hardly see and have not had many painful jabs. Defo get the chemist to get the correct needles as on your prescription

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've used anything between 4 and 8, and it doesn't make much difference to me. Exept with Lantus, that stung less with longer needles. Might be different when you're skinny though.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use 4mm needles. The DSN suggested that I may need to use 6mm needles due leakage of insulin from around the.injection site.

I would go for the 4mm needles Hopefully by now the chemist will have got Them for you