Insulin pump sites

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya. Just joined today, I'm a mummy to a 3 yo t1 girl, diagnosed Feb 2013. We have been using a Roche pump since Feb this year as very difficult to control bg levels. I'm hoping for some advice in connection with cannula sites. We always insert into her bottom cheeks as told by cons/nurse but I'm noticing lots of marks from previous cannulas. She doesn't complain of soreness but they look unsightly and after removing a cannula can remain red. Just wondering if anyone has any tips/advice on reducing this.
Thanks

C

catherinecherub

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm a Type 2 so will bump your post up for some help.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What sets are you using?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So sorry you have had to join by the way....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Also are the marks from the needle or from the glue or both?

Lift off spray is good at removing glue , I will look up the website details that you can get a free sample from to try, and the cans last ages.

For me I used bio oil massaged in, after the set has been removed and the new one is in. Now I use coconut oil as I bought a jar fof KTC brand in Tesco and didn't like the look of it for cooking compared to my normal coconut oil. The KTC brand is now used for my hair, face and divided in to a separate jar for my bum cheeks.

Are you alternating bum cheeks?

I am actually glad to hear somebody else uses bum cheeks, as we seem to be in the minority.

I have used mine for majority of injections and sets for 30+ years and still looking good.

Please excuse any banter from others that will come along, as I always rave about my bum and how good it looks!!

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it is a good spot but a 3yr old doesn't have much skin area to use the bum all the time.
I'd recheck with your nurse or consultant about using all of the commonly accepted areas,

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
We always alternate cheeks and try to avoid the area that was used the last time on that cheek, hope that makes sense ! The marks are coming from where the injection/tube goes in, any redness from the plaster subsides. I have some lift off but haven't needed to use it as yet. I've heard bio oil is good, I've been using arnica ointment as I heard that has good healing properties. I'm at clinic on Monday so will mention/show to the consultant and see what he suggests. We were told that as she isn't very fleshy to stick to her bum, i just worry about how her peachy bum is goin to look if this is how it is now after less than a year
Bless her wee heart tho she takes everything in her stride, tests her bg
Herself and disconnects/reconnects her cannula tube. I'm so proud of her.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Are you using 6mm or 8mm length cannulas?

I am lean too, and muscly so everywhere else caused me problems.

I use the rapid d 6mm's. There are 4mm sets and tubes available that will fit the accuchek, but consultant would have to check whether your CCG will fund these from a different supplier.

I also wonder if the flexilink are slamming in hard with the inserter? I don't use an inserter with the rapid d's as they are so simple to put in by hand. They are however a steel, non flexing needle so don't know if they would be an alwrnative to consider trying and see how you get on.

Your daughter sounds a little darling. I stayed with a friends 1 year old baby a couple years ago for 2 week. Within dsys she knew how to press my buttons to get the pump on and which button to press when my cgm alarmed!! She was just 13months at the time. Now at just 4 this xmas, she can get blood strips and put them in the rightway up and tell me to do my blood!! She has no fear when she sees my sets either including the needles!! Children are wonderful when so young, but certainly more to think of when they also have T1.

Just a few things to consider...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Are you using 6mm or 8mm length cannulas?

I am lean too, and muscly so everywhere else caused me problems.

I use the rapid d 6mm's. There are 4mm sets and tubes available that will fit the accuchek, but consultant would have to check whether your CCG will fund these from a different supplier.

I also wonder if the flexilink are slamming in hard with the inserter? I don't use an inserter with the rapid d's as they are so simple to put in by hand. They are however a steel, non flexing needle so don't know if they would be an alwrnative to consider trying and see how you get on.

Your daughter sounds a little darling. I stayed with a friends 1 year old baby a couple years ago for 2 week. Within dsys she knew how to press my buttons to get the pump on and which button to press when my cgm alarmed!! She was just 13months at the time. Now at just 4 this xmas, she can get blood strips and put them in the rightway up and tell me to do my blood!! She has no fear when she sees my sets either including the needles!! Children are wonderful when so young, but certainly more to think of when they also have T1.

Just a few things to consider...

iHs

Hello mumof3

All infusion sets will msrk a tiny bit but what might help is to take the flexlink out on the 2nd day and not on the 3rd. Savlon is good and will help the small hole to heal. I use a quick dab of tea tree oil but it tends to smell a bit.

Another option is to look at Applied Therapeutics website as they do a 4mm set that is compatible with the Accuvhek cartridge being luer. These sets are suitable for slim people anf children.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello mumof3

All infusion sets will msrk a tiny bit but what might help is to take the flexlink out on the 2nd day and not on the 3rd. Savlon is good and will help the small hole to heal. I use a quick dab of tea tree oil but it tends to smell a bit.

Another option is to look at Applied Therapeutics website as they do a 4mm set that is compatible with the Accuvhek cartridge being luer. These sets are suitable for slim people anf children.

Think you would need the tubes as well iHs??

iHs

Yes you would need the tubes as well and the ccg would need to be ok with funding sets from a diffrrent supplier but might be worth finding out

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Wow thank you so much for all the advice, I'm a bit blown away. So pleased I registered now !
Will chat with our cons on Monday, let you know what he advises.

Thanks xxx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hope you get on okay on Monday. You may need to take in the info with you from iHs ref other supplier as my consultant thought Accuchek did 4mm sets and was stumped when I said no they don't.
My consultant suggested 4mm to me because I too am lean.
Personally I found that using the inserter in my stomach hurt more too (only seconds though, but to a child of 3 that could be a reason for tears and upset) and the sets fell off or occluded too frequently so this may be another reason why the consultant suggested cheeks rather than tum..

Good luck and welcome to a great place for personal experiences and knowledge!

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Patients are generally not started on insulin pumps when their diabetes is not under control, in fact in people your age (normally a little younger like 15-17) getting a pump can actually be a reward for maintaining their insulin regime.

As hard as it is, you are diabetic and at the moment, nothing can ever change that. So forgetting a dose is something you should try not to do. The more insulin doses you forget and the more non-compliant you are, you do become insulin resistive and I dare say thats what is going on now, if your sugars are running high, but you are taking the correct insulin its because you have recently been DKA and not taking your insulin, it will take your body awhile to get back to the gist of things.

Wearing a pump is pretty easy, it easily slips into pockets or inbetween boobs if you are wearing a dress.

Hopefully once you get your sugars undercontrol and your doctors are sure you will remain compliant you will be able to get switched to a pump. They are great little devices, much easier than needling every day, in my opinion any way. I'd wait til you go back in four months, get back on the needling regime, once your doctor sees you can cope and are compliant, I am sure he/she will be more accepting to putting you on a pump.