Type 1 Insulin Pump

paulmgsmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Everyone,

Was hoping to get people’s views and opinions on something. My eldest son is turning 14 next week and has been type 1 since the age of 3, his diabetic team are now trying to force him on to an insulin pump called the Omnipod 5 system I believe, they have given me a 34 page document full of relevant information but it’s nice to get actual people views and opinions on something like this.

Would love to hear people’s views and if this is something that he should go forward with as they have told him if he takes the step forward he can’t revert back so it’s a big decision for him to make.

Look forward to people’s replies with any relevant information.

Paul

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1. My young kids aren't but if they were I would strongly encourage them to try an insulin pump. Do you know if you'll get funding for the cgm which works with the Omnipod closed loop system?

paulmgsmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1. My young kids aren't but if they were I would strongly encourage them to try an insulin pump. Do you know if you'll get funding for the cgm which works with the Omnipod closed loop system?

Hey,

Thank you for your reply. I’m type 1 myself and never even discussed a pump with my consultants before so this is all new to me so appreciate your answer, unfortunately I don’t actually know what the CGM your refereeing to is, but will find out when we are back up there next week and let you know.

Thanks, Paul

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pretty sure it's the Dexcom G6 you would need. I'm surprised your team is saying he can't go back if he decides to go ahead, must make a big decision even more nerve racking. And anyway you still need to keep your pens and supply of cartridges in case you have pump problems.

• Agree
Reactions: dancer and EllieM

paulmgsmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pretty sure it's the Dexcom G6 you would need. I'm surprised your team is saying he can't go back if he decides to go ahead, must make a big decision even more nerve racking. And anyway you still need to keep your pens and supply of cartridges in case you have pump problems.

Thank you for this useful information really appreciate it. Yeah the pressure they are putting on him is crazy, and the information booklet they give although being 34 pages in length miss out all the important information so the more information I can get from the general public the more I can reassure him if his doing the right thing or not. Also didn’t know you would still need to carry your pens etc but does make sense I guess. Also trying to figure out how painful it will be for him to set up etc he seems to be ok with his Libra sensor but even that took some time to get him on.

Thanks for your advise, Paul

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m pretty sure the Omnipod 5 has just been approved with a Libre.
This is the way forwards-closed loop. At 14 I would say the sooner he moves in this direction the better. It will be brilliant for him as he moves into late teens.

Reactions: EllieM

paulmgsmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m pretty sure the Omnipod 5 has just been approved with a Libre.
This is the way forwards-closed loop. At 14 I would say the sooner he moves in this direction the better. It will be brilliant for him as he moves into late teens.

Hey Becca, thanks for this positive reply, just read it to my son and he seems happy knowing other people support the fact that it’s a good move forward.

Thanks, Paul