Insulin resistance??

Beanz1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to have suddenly become insulin resistant, I'm really struggling, since Tuesday my levels have been between 11 and 23, but seems that I am injecting nearly 3 times as much as I used to, I'm to frightened to eat too much as that pushes them up again,...I seem to be going around in circles. My lantus doesn't seem to be working either even though it's been put up by 4 units!!! Just need to rant, feeling very frustrated :( going back to see the DN today

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I seem to have suddenly become insulin resistant, I'm really struggling, since Tuesday my levels have been between 11 and 23, but seems that I am injecting nearly 3 times as much as I used to, I'm to frightened to eat too much as that pushes them up again,...I seem to be going around in circles. My lantus doesn't seem to be working either even though it's been put up by 4 units!!! Just need to rant, feeling very frustrated :( going back to see the DN today

Hey Beanz - woman to woman question - are you due on ? If not, are you coming down with something ?

I've been there too and mine was around my period for about 3-4 days just couldnt get control, anything I ate pushed me up

There's a few things you can do if this is the case.

;)

Beanz1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest I'm not sure as I have the contraceptive injection, have had for years, therefore don't have any periods so therefore no clue of my menstrual cycle, however I've never really had this before :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Change your insulin and start afresh, may well be the insulin your using has deteriorated, heat can do this to insulin.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Have you tried new fresh cartrages in your pens...?
Changing injection site to a completely different part of the body..?
Have you checked your pens are firing out the correct dose? There is an easy home test to see if the pen delivers a measured 20 units Into the needle cap...

Sorry if it sounds like grandmother sucking eggs...

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Background insulin test...........?

I find I need to test on a monthly basis and make adjustments....

I see you have upped it by 4 with no result, just keep going.........

remember Lantus takes 3 days to take effect.......

one of the reasons I was in the Levemir camp back when I was injecting.....

Beanz1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't know it took 3 days....nobody told me that!!! Thanks :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yep yep done all of that

I don't think you suddenly become insulin resistant in such a short space of time (although I may be wrong), have you tried contacting your diabetes team and asked for advice?

Usually when these things happen it's due to illness, infections, stress, insulin deterioration or injection site problems as Jaylee says, have a word with them asap and see what they say, don't let these levels continue.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well that's an approximate time, everyone is different, but yeah, any changes you make wont be seen until the third day.........

so have you got another day to wait then.........?............;)

Beanz1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have spoken to them and been in and am following their advice, I just thought I would ask advice on here too

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
for people with active lifestyles and who like a drink from time to time, Lantus just isn't the insulin to use..........

you should inquire about Levemir if you have such a lifestyle........

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have spoken to them and been in and am following their advice, I just thought I would ask advice on here too

No problem, well if it's been a few days since you last spoke to them I'd give them a ring today, as at the weekend no one will be available. Just one question, you are under the care of a hospital diabetes clinic and not your gp surgery, if your under the care of your gp ask for a referral over.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would put the highest probability on the fact that you may have a bug or inflammation you may not even be aware of and that has put the white cell count up. I've had this happen a few times.

Beanz1975

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would put the highest probability on the fact that you may have a bug or inflammation you may not even be aware of and that has put the white cell count up. I've had this happen a few times.
I did think that myself but how on earth am I supposed to know? The hospital have not offered any blood tests to determine this!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
unfortunately if your ill, then the only person that can determine what effect its having on your blood sugars and insulin needs is you........

most folk when ill can bump on a certain percentage on top of their normal background dose when they have observed highs throughout the whole day.......again, a bit more difficult with Lantus but not impossible........

Reactions: 4 people