Insulin to carb ratio

Danmoss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, type 1 diabetic since 2007 here. Over the past few years, I’ve had to increase my quick acting insulin to around 3 to 4 units per 10g carbs (1cp).

Has anyone else found this? Anyone else dosing a similar amount?

The result of me figuring this out has improved my A1c but also made me gain weight. Anyone also experienced this?

Thanks all.

Dan

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
It’s not uncommon for ratios to change well done on the improved A1c ,

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is not uncommon for insulin needs to vary which includes bit basal and insulin to carb ratios for bolus.
It sounds as if you are building up some insulin resistance.
This may be related to your increased weight or may be something else such as absorption issues at your injection sites, Do you rotate your sites?
Have you also increased your basal? If not, you may be covering a lack of basal with bolus.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Danmoss Welcome to the forum. As others have said, insulin to carb ratios change, as does the amount of basal we need. Some people need more/less in summer than winter as well etc...... We're all different in terms of how much insulin we need, and insulin to carb ratios are different at different times of the day for many of us.

Ultimately we take the amount of insulin that we personally need, and whilst there will be people on the same insulin to carb ratio as you, there will others who aren't.

Danmoss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all, its been bugging me for a while and can only really find 1:1 or 1:1.5 ratios online. Yes I wonder if insulin resistance is starting to kick in. Ill speak to my diabetic team and see what their thoughts are. I do generally rotate sites, however I wear white t-shirts and shirts a lot, so stomach area generally gets a miss unless I want blood stains! Ive also steadily been increasing basel too, and this seems correct as I have generally steady, good blood sugar readings overnight.

Thanks for the support guys