Insulin worsens insulin resistance?

bisalimo

I got diagnosed in 2017, in 2018 my Homa IR was 2.07 and Homa B was 53.42, in 2024 my Homa IR is 6.41 and Homa B is 117.77. does this mean my insulin resistance is getting worse, but my pancreas beta cells are improving?

fasting glucose fasting insulin

2018 113 (6.28) 7.42

2024 126 (7) 20.61

Homa IR = (fasting glucose x fasting insulin) : 405 (22.5)

Homa B = 360 (20) x fasting insulin : (fasting glucose - 63 (3.5)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 1 or 2?

if type 2 have any other measures been taken or just insulin? Any other changes to health? In (accurately diagnosed) type 2 we are almost all insulin resistant with high circulating insulin to compensate (at least in the early years) as the inherent issues we face, with glucose rising as a result of that. Adding more insulin to a system already soaked in it might well bring down glucose levels by brute force but over time it adds to the IR and worsens the issue, hence why it was considered progressive. As glucose is the only thing typically measured the underlying problem with insulin is rarely recognised or addressed. Short term insulin in very high levels might be a good thing to avoid problems but unless you have an actual insufficiency of production in the long term the real need is to reduce the IR, low carb being the most effective for many. (Less demand, less production, less resistance)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I wouldn’t say insulin increases resistance, I think it’s a case of if you don’t tackle the root cause of the resistance in the first place it will continue to worsen.. ie, if you eat the same high carb foods that cause resistance and treat only the high blood sugars with insulin then the resistance will continue to get worse.

Even on the perfect diet some may continue to get worse anyway.. but again that the body doing not the insulin

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn’t say insulin increases resistance, I think it’s a case of if you don’t tackle the root cause of the resistance in the first place it will continue to worsen.. ie, if you eat the same high carb foods that cause resistance and treat only the high blood sugars with insulin then the resistance will continue to get worse.

Even on the perfect diet some may continue to get worse anyway.. but again that the body doing not the insulin
Lol, you just gave the explanation of why high circulating insulin levels increase resistance.

The reason that things get worse if you continue eating the same high carb food is because in type 2 it raises insulin levels (and presumably in type 1 means you need to inject more). And that high insulin level is a strong contributing factor in increasing insulin resistance. It’s like desensitisation to it.

As you say even on a perfect diet some may get worse and that’s because type 2 isn’t purely about diet. There’s some genetics at least involved. And, when you consider type 2 is a catch all for almost everything they can’t clearly or easily identify as another type it’s quite likely that some are really type 1, LADA, mody, infection, disease or medication induced (3c for example) etc but not identified as such.

• Agree
Reactions: Melgar and zand