Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

It's my believe that if insulin had gone off due to heat. That would make it less effective or inert...
If your having issues? Try a fresh vial or batch out of the fridge..

I would advise seeing your doctor if running high & can't correct your levels..?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't just take my word for it.. Lol

There will be more science along later...

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes, but it doesn't happen in a couple of days, it's called insulin resistance and normally associated with T2
as jaylee said and what I have read here, if you are having trouble, the general advice is to crack a new pen from a different box

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is also a simple home test to check your pen is delivering correct dosage..

After an "air shot" dial up 20units & fire the dose carefully into the clear/opaque needle cap. The 20u should fill the cap up to the point where the actual needle goes' just before the plastic funnels out to where the screw part sits..

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
You can certainly become more resistant to insulin and this is normally associated with weight gain. Your ratio may go from 1unit for every 10g of carbs to 1unit for every 5g for instance. Exercise can help with this and many doctors are now prescribing T1's with metformin as this can help too.

Reactions: 2 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
High levels of insulin will cause resistance over time. This is a temporary effect though. Also, regular exercise will lower insulin resistance.

iHs

The thing to do is enjoy food but keep an eye on yr bodyweight as the more we eat, the more the insulin and the more bodyweight increases which then means more insulin to deal with the resistance to keep well.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's very unusual to become resistant to insulin other than insulin resistance due to weight gain thru eating too many carbs. If you have gained weight then do low-carb and you should find you need fewer shots

candii

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies but I'm in so much pain and I don't know why , I've done some blood test and I'm waiting for the results. The pain is all over my body whole day every day. I've been taking over the counter pain killers but there is no ease up at all. I don't know what to do but the pain is becoming unbearable.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App