Insuman basal discontinued

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I tried getting my 3 monthly insulin prescription and was told insuman basal is no longer available.

Has it been discontinued? Are there similar basal insulin I can switch to?

I've been using since diagnosis in 2011 so reluctant to change, but looks I don't have a choice.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've no idea of an alternative as I've never heard of that insulin, however, I personally would speak to my DSN in regards to this so they can suggest a replacement as you may need more monitoring anyway as you make the switch.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are there similar basal insulin I can switch to?
Insuman is an isophane insulin, also known as NPH.
Other brands of NPH, which should work about the same are Humulin-N (by Eli Lilly) and Insulatard (by NovoNordisk).

Most people prefer different basal insulins like Tresiba (works much longer, no peak), Levemir (not unlike NPH but less of a peak, slighly longer acting than NPH), or Lantus (glargine), somewhere in the middle between Tresiba and Levemir.
All of them are usually more stable than NPH, which has a relatively sharp peak and shorter action time.

You'll be able to obtain a different brand of NPH without issue, but it might be worth looking into other types of basal as well.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Insuman is an isophane insulin, also known as NPH.
Other brands of NPH, which should work about the same are Humulin-N (by Eli Lilly) and Insulatard (by NovoNordisk).

Most people prefer different basal insulins like Tresiba (works much longer, no peak), Levemir (not unlike NPH but less of a peak, slighly longer acting than NPH), or Lantus (glargine), somewhere in the middle between Tresiba and Levemir.
All of them are usually more stable than NPH, which has a relatively sharp peak and shorter action time.

You'll be able to obtain a different brand of NPH without issue, but it might be worth looking into other types of basal as well.
Thanks , I'll look into different types also. Probably mean a lot of trial and error when switching so not looking forward to that :-(

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks , I'll look into different types also. Probably mean a lot of trial and error when switching so not looking forward to that :-(
If you're doing very well on your current insulin, you can of course choose to stick with NPH. :)

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
Haven't been on the forum for quite some time, but I suppose you'd like to know that Hypurin Porcine Isophane should also be available still. It's a real "oldtimer", so it is of course possible that no one is really willing to prescribe it any longer...

Sorry for possilble spelling mistakes - not my mothertongue :)

Reactions: Antje77