Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m David and I’ve just joined the Forum. Trying to find the page to introduce myself.. ?
Looks like you found it, this is the page to introduce yourself if you like. :)

Apart from introducing yourself here, you can start a new thread if you have any specific questions or experiences to share, or you can chip in on any thread you find interesting.
Welcome to the forum!
@Antje77 Dutch connection!
Indeed it is, always good to see a new member living in my country @Aubrey101 :)

Dave006

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trying to participate in between other chores. I’ve been a T2 Diabetic for a bit over 4 and a half years now. I’m 67 years old and getting in with life. Since diagnosed, I’ve changed my lifestyle to LCHF which has helped me avoid medication. I’ve also been following many Doctors on Twitter, to name a few: Dr Gary Fettke, Dr David Unwin, Dr Ken Berry, Dr Jason Fung and many more from around the World. What I’ve found is that stress can raise BG as well as when fasting.
I had arguments with the family Doctor here as she was adamant my BG is high and not because of fasting. I provided her with Dr. Jason Fung contact in America who’s researching deeper into T2DM reversal and fasting insulin. I’ve fasted almost 24 hours and BG was 9.8 and 2 hours after eating it had dropped to 5.7 When we get sick our BG goes up too. I’m doing my best to avoid Medication as my cousin’s husband who’s been a T2DM for over 15 years and on Metformin has now got heart issues, pancreatic issues and only 30% use of his kidneys. Having said that, he may have brought this upon himself from eating whatever he wants.
Sorry to sound negative but we can control Type 2 by watching what we eat, how much and when!! Fasting is important. All the best to everyone.

Longjob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, my name is Stephen,
I'm on the edge of 65 and male.
I am British although spent 40 years in Asia. I now live in Spain.
Not religious although searching for something to believe in.
I'm serious, cryptic while fun-loving
I have a 1-year old dog Kenzo. He's a Shiba Inu - and a rescue cat Kimi
Microsoft all the way [I used to work for them]
No sports except a little cycling
Working on my anger issues. Keep the stress at bay
A single piercing on my left earlobe, a folly from 40.
Few English bands, mostly Chinese or Japanese singers unless you count Pink Floyd and Rick Wakeman from my youth
Northern Soul and Mandopop are my favourite genres.
Have lived in more than 20 countries and visited many more. Favourite city is Shanghai
I find tv a distraction so no real favourite programmes while films are an escapade and too many to mention.
Mostly retired. Military, Engineering, Project Management, Teaching
Relaxed, impatient

Last edited:

derekhansen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my name is Derek, I am 61, male and English. I was diagnosed a month ago with type 2 diabetes. My GI was 49. I started a low carb diet/eating lifestyle 3 weeks ago and so far have lost 5kilos. My aim is to avoid medication.
Some more about me:-
I live in North Kent with my wonderful wife Lesley and our (hers really) poodle, Marshall.
I work as a Quantity Surveyor and my hobbies are oil painting and woodworking.
In the past I have played football and cricket, squash and cycling. These days exercise is walking, indoor rowing and cycling.

Last edited:

KevinJ22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
- What is your name? Kevin

- How old are you? 64

- Are you male or female? Male

- Which country are you from? UK

- Which city/area do you live in? boston, lincs

- Are you religious? No

- Pick three words to describe your personality. Outgoing , confident

- Do you have any pets? Huge Cat called Rocky

- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Football and Athletics F1

- Do you get angry easily? No

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? None

- List your five favourite musicians/bands. janis Joplin, Bob Marley , Beatles

- What would you say your favourite music genre is? All (i am A DJ)

- What is your favourite flag? none

- Ever gone camping? Yes

- Ever been in love? Yes

- Ever used fake tan? No

- Which countries have you visited? Lots France, Spain, italy, Greece, Carribean +++

- Favourite city? Venice

- List your five favourite TV programmes. Wheeler Dealers, Fast and Loud, Corrie, Emmerdale

- List your five favourite films. Christine, Carrie, American graffitti

- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? Computer Engineer

- List the subjects you study/have studied. Computers and Electronics

- What do you like most about yourself? my current physique

- What do you like least about yourself? My Height

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mike, age 76, diagnosed in February but suspect diabetic for several years,diet was reasonable but ate when I had time or felt hungry, was 10st 9lb but after cruise with P&O contracting food poisoning and virus left ship weighing in at 9st 6 lb and felt better than before. No regularly avoid carbohydrate in bread potatoes rice pasta etc but not too concerned about where found elsewhere. Blood tests started at 90and now down to 49 some three weeks ago. Some neuropathy in feet. Play golf three Ty four time a weeks sometimes on consecutive days and quite happy carrying clubs if required. Do some walking and try and limit calorie intake to what is required. Still have the odd alcoholic drink. Never eat processed food such as ready meals and do most of my own cooking from scratch. Have reduced butter and cheese intake in favour of benevolent and cholesterol has fallen from 5.6 to 4.7 in two months.

Reactions: Prancy
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When diagnosed has telephone call from GP and some time later one from the dedicated diabetic nurse. Never seen otherwise regarding diabetes but seen promptly at hospital when suspected TIA and internal bleeding. More interest shown by my optician who referred me to eye hospital and then contacted me 10 days later to see how I had got on. Taking Metformin 2grams a day with omeprazole as a PPI despite never experiencing acid reflux. Found out that most advice was extremely conflicting and most information had to be obtained from selective reading avoiding anything from the USA which seemed hell bent in selling anything to avoid amputations. Non prescribed B12 and Vitamin D. Plenty of oily fish and fresh fruit and vegetables

Shelleybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I’m shelley, I’m 34 years old, female from England, Devon recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, but struggling to get my numbers down, even though Iv lost 30lb in weight. I’m genuinely a kind hearted person who would help anyone if I could, I’m a mum of 2 boys one has autism so is pretty hard work.

Reactions: Lainie71 and Prancy

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all I’m shelley, I’m 34 years old, female from England, Devon recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, but struggling to get my numbers down, even though Iv lost 30lb in weight. I’m genuinely a kind hearted person who would help anyone if I could, I’m a mum of 2 boys one has autism so is pretty hard work.
Hi Shellybee. Congratulations on your weight loss accomplishment! That’s awesome. I have a niece on the spectrum. I understand the commitment it requires. Best of luck to you.

leon 1

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I’m Leon and recently I have been diagnosed with type 3C diabetes I’m 56 and live in the uk I have suffered with pancreatitis for about three years, but was diagnosed with diabetes three months ago, I’ve lost about 5 Stone in weight I inject myself at the moment once every evening with 54 units of insulin and I struggle with throwing myself onto a needle every night lol and I’ve recently had a consultation with the diabetic clinic and they want to start me on a new course of insulin where I’ve got to administrate insulin four times a day. My blood sugars are skyhigh and struggle to bring them down to a moderate level so all this is new to me and I’ve come to this forum to see if I can educating myself about my diabetes

Amerthyst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
I am Amerthyst I joined as My mother in law has type 1 diabetes along with Alzheimer's
Both have been managed badly which has lead to complication's I am currently looking after her full time …Im currently learning… all about this and trying to work out what is best for her, been keeping a food diary over the last three months thought I had it under control but diabetes has other plans and she is dipping a lot hence why i am here

I laughed at the questions but here goes
What is your name? I go by Amerthyst
- How old are you? (Really asking a woman her age … well I never… answer- I’m (mumble mumble years young ) ;p
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Manchester
- Are you religious? Yes love all faiths
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Errr derrr doh
- Do you have any pets? Cat and dog
- Microsoft or Apple? Oooh love and use both
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?… What!!! play - nope watch sports… nearly all types
- Do you get angry easily? No but some days it just sits and bubbles for a while
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Nose and ears no tat
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Ooh tooo many think of classical right through to oasis (not rap)
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? All (not rap)
- What is your favourite flag? Any as long as it’s not demeaning to anyone
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Happily yes
- Ever used fake tan? Noooo
- Which countries have you visited? Ireland
- Favourite city? Home
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Too many from Comedy to crime
think laurel and hardy to the two Ronnies (porridge to open all hours, fools and horses ) any crime drama and any comedian who can make Me laugh
- List your five favourite films. Don’t have..
- Are you wealthy? Don’t we all wish
- Do you work? If so, as what? Currently looking after parent in law now it’s full time
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Awh bit of a magpie over the years lots of different things from art crochet spiritualy and faith to maths and Shakespeare now learning about diabetes
- What do you like most about yourself? My hair
- What do you like least about yourself? Most things but I get over it

Manicpob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around 2016. I started on Metformin and over the years I am now on 4 different medications in combination. I have side affects that are impacting my day to day functions. I have tried diets, gyms and exercise to no avail as I have other health conditions and nothing works to help bring my sugars down. My GP says my diabetes is controlled by stress which I cannot get away from. I had to be medically retired after suffering heart failure. I am struggling to monitor my sugars because of my health and severe depression. I have asked my GP for the freestyle libra but I cannot get this unless I am type 1 or the hospital diabetic consultant agrees to it. I cannot seem to get a referral despite asking my GP. The next step is insulin which I do not want to go on. I have a real fear as my sister died due to complications. I am hoping to get support to help me reduce my sugar. I don’t eat desserts or crisps and chocolates normally only on special occasions. I don’t drink sugary drinks or alcohol and don’t like sweet things, I vice is fresh fruit usually when it’s on the verge or ripening.

I am 64, live with my adult son, female and live in the U.K.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes around 2016. I started on Metformin and over the years I am now on 4 different medications in combination. I have side affects that are impacting my day to day functions. I have tried diets, gyms and exercise to no avail as I have other health conditions and nothing works to help bring my sugars down. My GP says my diabetes is controlled by stress which I cannot get away from. I had to be medically retired after suffering heart failure. I am struggling to monitor my sugars because of my health and severe depression. I have asked my GP for the freestyle libra but I cannot get this unless I am type 1 or the hospital diabetic consultant agrees to it. I cannot seem to get a referral despite asking my GP. The next step is insulin which I do not want to go on. I have a real fear as my sister died due to complications. I am hoping to get support to help me reduce my sugar. I don’t eat desserts or crisps and chocolates normally only on special occasions. I don’t drink sugary drinks or alcohol and don’t like sweet things, I vice is fresh fruit usually when it’s on the verge or ripening.

I am 64, live with my adult son, female and live in the U.K.
Have you been evaluated to see if you might actually be Type 1? If meds and all your changes aren’t effective, I’d want to know why. Is there any reason you are opposed to insulin? It can really help, if needed. I hope you can get more help and support.

erikame

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everybody.
My husband was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Just diet for now. But it's very difficult. He believes that there is nothing terrible, and likes to eat some kind of junk food. I'm fighting as hard as I can. There is a lot of interesting information here, it’s good to have someone to share it with.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He believes that there is nothing terrible, and likes to eat some kind of junk food. I'm
You could consider a cgm, a continuous monitor that shows bg by the minutes. The spikes from the wrong food look horrendous and I find that helps me say No the next time. Freestyle libre do a free 2 week trial. After that it's £50 for 2 weeks, but once he's seen what certain foods do to him, he may not need more.
I find I have no discernable effects from eating carbs, other than slow and consistent weight gain. The cgm shows me what is happening inside.

Nan66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hate diets
Vegetables, Fruit and Salads
I COPIED THIS OFF ANOTHER MEMBERS PAGE……. HOPE THEY DONT MIND ME USING THIS AS I THOUGHT WHAT A GREAT WAY TO INTRODUCE MYSELF
SO THANK YOU

- What is your name?
MARIE

- How old are you?
56yrs old

- Are you male or female?
FEMALE

- Which country are you from?
United Kingdom

- Which city/area do you live in?
READING BERKSHIRE

- Are you religious?
YES AND NO

- Pick three words to describe your personality.
HELPFULL, KIND AND FUNNY

- Do you have any pets?
YES A FRENCH BULLDOG NAMED COOPER

- Microsoft or Apple?
APPLE

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
I WALK WHEN I CAN

- Do you get angry easily?
SOMETIMES DEPENDING WHY OR WHO !

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
I HAVE TWO TATTOOS (Winnie the Pooh and tiger on my right shoulder)
I HAVE MY EARS PIERCED TWICE, NOSE PIERCED TWICE DUE TO ONE CLOSING UP AND MY BELLYBUTTON DONE TOO

LUTHER VANDROSS JAMES ARTHER.
THE DOBBEY BROTHERS WEST LIFE
AND JAMES BAY

- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
MIXED…….SOUL MOTOWN AND EASY LISTENING JAZZ

- What is your favourite flag?
ENGLAND AS ITS MY HOME

- Ever gone camping?
NOPE NEVER WANTED TOO

- Ever been in love?
OF COURSE

- Ever used fake tan?
NO

- Which countries have you visited?
BELOGNE FRANCE , ISLE OF WIGHT

- List your five favourite TV programmes.
VERA. GAME OF THRONES.
WALKING DEAD. CALL THE MIDWIFE
DOCUMENTARYS

- List your five favourite films.
SCROOGE. WONDERFULL LIFE
RANDOM HARVEST TOP GUN 1 & 2
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST

Are you wealthy?
NO

- Do you work? If so, as what?
NO RETIRED NHS CIVIL SERVICE WORKER
PHLEBOTOMIST

- What do you like most about yourself?
GOOD LISTENER. HELPFUL FRIENDLY

- What do you like least about yourself?
CANT DO WHAT I USED TO DO
DISABLED. CANT EXERCISE

erikame

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
You could consider a cgm, a continuous monitor that shows bg by the minutes. The spikes from the wrong food look horrendous and I find that helps me say No the next time. Freestyle libre do a free 2 week trial. After that it's £50 for 2 weeks, but once he's seen what certain foods do to him, he may not need more.
I find I have no discernable effects from eating carbs, other than slow and consistent weight gain. The cgm shows me what is happening inside.
Thanks for your reply and advice. I haven't heard about it.
CGM really interested me

NicDiamond

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is your name?
Josephine they call me diamond
- How old are you?
FeMale
USA
Gensse
- Are you religious?
Yes
Hardheaded, fun loving, intense
- Do you have any pets?
I have my cats

Vollyball
Sometimes
Yes everywhere

- What would you say your favourite music is
Everthing
Never really thought of it
- Ever gone camping?
YES!
- Ever been in love?
Oh my, yes
- Ever used fake tan?
I didn't even know it existed!

Nan66

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hate diets
Vegetables, Fruit and Salads
Nan66, post: 2646586, member: 581133"]I COPIED THIS OFF ANOTHER MEMBERS PAGE……. HOPE THEY DONT MIND ME USING THIS AS I THOUGHT WHAT A GREAT WAY TO INTRODUCE MYSELF
SO THANK YOU……..

- What is your name?
MARIE

- How old are you?
56yrs old

FEMALE

United Kingdom

READING BERKSHIRE

- Are you religious?
YES AND NO

HELPFULL, KIND AND FUNNY

- Do you have any pets?
YES A FRENCH BULLDOG NAMED COOPER

- Microsoft or Apple?
APPLE

I WALK WHEN I CAN

SOMETIMES DEPENDING WHY OR WHO !

I HAVE TWO TATTOOS (Winnie the Pooh and tiger on my right shoulder)
I HAVE MY EARS PIERCED TWICE, NOSE PIERCED TWICE DUE TO ONE CLOSING UP AND MY BELLYBUTTON DONE TOO

LUTHER VANDROSS JAMES ARTHER.
THE DOBBEY BROTHERS WEST LIFE
AND JAMES BAY

- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
MIXED…….SOUL MOTOWN AND EASY LISTENING JAZZ

ENGLAND AS ITS MY HOME

- Ever gone camping?
NOPE NEVER WANTED TOO

- Ever been in love?
OF COURSE

- Ever used fake tan?
NO

- Which countries have you visited?
BELOGNE FRANCE , ISLE OF WIGHT

- List your five favourite TV programmes.
VERA. GAME OF THRONES.
WALKING DEAD. CALL THE MIDWIFE
DOCUMENTARYS

- List your five favourite films.
SCROOGE. WONDERFULL LIFE
RANDOM HARVEST TOP GUN 1 & 2
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST

Are you wealthy?
NO

- Do you work? If so, as what?
NO RETIRED NHS CIVIL SERVICE WORKER
PHLEBOTOMIST

- What do you like most about yourself?
GOOD LISTENER. HELPFUL FRIENDLY

- What do you like least about yourself?
CANT DO WHAT I USED TO DO
DISABLED. CANT EXERCISE

I’ve been a type 2 diabetic since 2022
I’m on metformin twice a day
I was on Ozempic injections but had to come off it. Now on Saxsenda injections when I can get them as they are out of stock atm

I recently started feeling dizzy, sick, lightheaded, couldn’t seem able to breathe in fresh air even tho I was sat in the garden at that time and also feeling not right for the rest of the day. I tried to drink orange juice and a Cadburys Twirl to see if that helped but no.
I visited the DR’s on the Wednesday as that was the nearest appointment was to tell them how I was feeling. I was asked what is your sugar/glucose levels and I said I don’t know because I was told I didn’t need to do that as I was only type 2. The dr went and got me one. He then took my level which was a little high. He said to come back to him next week which I’ve booked to see him again and tell him what my sugar/glucose levels have been so he could check them himself and see if I’m having trouble keeping my levels under control then go from there….. worrying time.
I done my level on Friday as I felt bad and that so done the test strip ….. it was 7.3.
I dunno if that is high or not too bad ?
I felt light headed and not steady on my feet and hen I decided to do the test. I thought it would be low from how I was feeling ??
Has anyone else had this trouble being type 2 diabetic?

papagray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi my name peter
i am 66 years old and have recently retired
i joined this forum as i suffer from post-polio
and recently my health has been questionable
to be honest i am worried i have a defective Nissan fundlipication and additional hiatus hernia
plus many defects arthritis etc.
i was diagnosed as borderline diabetes recently
whilst i was waiting for pain relief injections for my right knee it was a surgical procedure
i mentioned i had borderline they tested and i was 21.4 i never saw so much concern,
they were preparing to do blood tests but the surgeon said no
and cancelled the procedure advising i could have died as steroids and high bloods don't mix
went to my gp eventually and they increased metaformin up to two 500g per day
i have stopped using sugar using a sweetner now, avoiding sugar and carbs is hard as i have
severe acid reflux and fatty liver with the enlarged spleen they found that 10 years ago
neglected to tell anyone have had a bone marrow 4 differing blood tests no-one knows why !
i understood nhs no longer supplies blood monitors so we purchased one my bloods have never dropped below 14.3
hence why i am worried, have been offer covid jab flu jab and finally after three years op to repair the nissan failure
so in a nutshell don't know what to do !